• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Washington - 12.3.2009

gpetrics

Website
www.famousinternetskiers.com
Date(s) Skied: 12.3.2009

Resort or Ski Area: White Mountain National Forest Ski Area

Conditions: Slabby windbuff, with softer pockets

Trip Report:
So my good friends and co-FIS-ers, Sam and Allen headed over to Mount Washington on Wednesday leaving me relegated to my last day of teaching for the fall term. Looks like it was a good thing I had to work and didn't make it over there... they had an EXCELLENT day:

click the pic to read more

bvibert

Staff member
Really cool TR, thanks for sharing it with us! Too bad you couldn't make the trip with them...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Cool TR, but man... I've learned my lesson more than once about skiing down what you haven't hiked up. Big time gamble. Glad it worked out for them though.

drjeff

Cool TR, but man... I've learned my lesson more than once about skiing down what you haven't hiked up. Big time gamble. Glad it worked out for them though.

Agree! Just hope that one day we don't end up reading about members of the F.I.S. needing sometype of backcountry rescue :eek:

automagp68

MAN!!! so sick!!!

That is like my dream trip! Wish i could ski like that

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
That is what I was thinking when I saw the pics of the headwall. In April on a bright sunny day, no problem usually. After the first significant snow fall. Yikes. Snow could have very easily ended and cliffed em out.

Funny about the Sherbie being the hardest part of the tour. :lol: I always think think whenever I ski Tuckerman. I got no love for that trail.

awf170

Not to speak for Sam and Allen... but my guess is that there plan was to just hike down the TRT if the Lip got too sketch since most of it is still exposed. Or at least that is what my plan would be if I was skiing the Lip with early season conditions. The TRT just cuts over to Sluice which is very easily skiable with one good snowfall.

gpetrics

Website
www.famousinternetskiers.com
Not to speak for Sam and Allen... but my guess is that there plan was to just hike down the TRT if the Lip got too sketch since most of it is still exposed. Or at least that is what my plan would be if I was skiing the Lip with early season conditions. The TRT just cuts over to Sluice which is very easily skiable with one good snowfall.

i'm not sure they had EXACTLY that in mind (since i'm not them), but I can say without a shadow of a doubt that they were extremely well prepared for this journey with contingency plans and the correct tools for the job. these guys didn't just hike up with their piste carvers and hope it was skiable. they are getting to be very experienced ski mountaineers at this point, and what may seem risky in a photo i'm sure was quite calculated in the "real world video"...

that said: accident's can always happen... but without risk there is no adventure, right?

@AWF: when are you coming up my way? I have a present for you (for which you owe me 25$ ; )... let's get some skiin' done!

awf170

@AWF: when are you coming up my way? I have a present for you (for which you owe me 25$ ; )... let's get some skiin' done!

Once it actually snows again... you free this week? I'm thinking if the Wednesday/Thursday storm comes through I'm be heading your way.

Mike P.

The parent in me says, looks risky, The outdoorsman says, impressive, most impressive. (That's from a hiker, not a skier too)