• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Favorite Winter Brew

deadheadskier

Staff member
Saranac Black Forest or Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout

this.

Guiness

guiness-is-good-for-you.jpg

and this.

Never been a fan of fruity, nutmegy flavored beers, which many winter brews seem to consist of. I like beer flavored beer

jaywbigred

Went looking to get more Stille Nacht, but the best beer places near me either didn't carry it, or had to order. Could be a few weeks...grrrr...I finally find a winter brew I like, and its immediately out of stock...

I tend not to like the over-spiced American micro and semi-micro offerings, though there are worse beers out there.

Mike P.

In the winter a decent Porter is always nice. The Tuckerman 6288 Stout & Saranac Black & Tan are nice too. I haven't had the Harpoon Seasonal, I'll have to keep an eye out for it as I like their offerings also.....

drjeff

In the winter a decent Porter is always nice. The Tuckerman 6288 Stout & Saranac Black & Tan are nice too. I haven't had the Harpoon Seasonal, I'll have to keep an eye out for it as I like their offerings also.....

Harpoon winter warmer is quite worthy! Especially if you enjoy gingerbread

drjeff

Tried Magic Hat's 2009/10 winter offering over the weekend, their Howl Black Lager

howl.jpg

Solid offering and a bit different than their previous winter seasonal offerings of the last few years which to my palate had a sweet finish prior to the final hoppiness. This year's offering has a distinct smoky finish to go with a moderately hoppy finish. Goes down smooth, another good winter offering from Magic hat (much better IMHO than their perenial Roxy Rolles! )

ZYDECORICH

i like Troegs Mad Elf myself.

(but not as much as Alaskan Winter ale...)

+1
All their products are excellent...having a Hopback right now... like the pale ale too.. haven't heard much from the Northern New England crowd about these brews.... do their products get up there? Probably the best brewery I've come across in quite awhile.

jaywbigred

+1
All their products are excellent...having a Hopback right now... like the pale ale too.. haven't heard much from the Northern New England crowd about these brews.... do their products get up there? Probably the best brewery I've come across in quite awhile.

Troegs is a great brewery, right up there with my other favorites Victory, Ommegang, Ithaca Brewing Co., and Southern Tier. Hopback is delicious and the Pale Ale is good too. I wasn't in love with their summer brew, Sunshine Pils, but I will have to give the Mad Elf a shot.

I have to be honest, over the past 2 or 3 years, I've been largely disappointed with the Vermont breweries: Magic Hat, Long Trail, Otter Creek, Rock Art, Trout River...have all underwhelmed me despite giving them repeated shots. I'll even put Harpoon in this group, to a lesser extent (I know there from MA).

My fave New England beers have been coming from Allagash, BBC, and Cisco. Shipyard, too, to a less extent (I like to drink their regular old Export, imo a simple, tasty brew, as an alternative to AMC beers)

redalienx11

Website
www.alaskamountainguides.com
yes, troegs is a great brewery. the brothers are a riot and give a great brewtour as well. hopback is one of my favorites, and the souped-up version of hopback, nugget nectar, is also wonderful.

im not sure i could drink alot of mad elf. not quite syrupy but pretty sweet. a pint every once in a while is extremely enjoyable to me.

ZYDECORICH

yes, troegs is a great brewery. the brothers are a riot and give a great brewtour as well. hopback is one of my favorites, and the souped-up version of hopback, nugget nectar, is also wonderful.

im not sure i could drink alot of mad elf. not quite syrupy but pretty sweet. a pint every once in a while is extremely enjoyable to me.

that nugget nectar is the only one i haven't tried i saw it once in the cooler at my beer place and the next day it was gone. the owner says it goes fast.

Grassi21

Tried Magic Hat's 2009/10 winter offering over the weekend, their Howl Black Lager

howl.jpg

Solid offering and a bit different than their previous winter seasonal offerings of the last few years which to my palate had a sweet finish prior to the final hoppiness. This year's offering has a distinct smoky finish to go with a moderately hoppy finish. Goes down smooth, another good winter offering from Magic hat (much better IMHO than their perenial Roxy Rolles! )

I tried this winter brew a few weeks ago. Unfortuneyl I was already tuned up and can't remember the taste. I do agree that Roxy Rolles leave something to be desired.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
I picked up two bottles of Trader Joe's Vintage Ale. One to have at Christmas with my brother...one to save for next winter.
vintage-bottle.jpg

jaywbigred

Had the Mad Elf this weekend. It was good but not great. I agree that it was somewhat syrupy and a touch sweet. Like a lot of higher alcohol content beers, it got a little better as it warmed up.

If anyone is looking for a fun, new, digestif to have with or after dinner (esp. a savory or salty meal), I recently was introduced to a Scandinavian liquor called Akvavit. Its basically a vodka that tastes like rye bread, and its very drinkable, 80 proof. Serve it as a half shot, straight from the freezer.

frozencorn

I tried this winter brew a few weeks ago. Unfortuneyl I was already tuned up and can't remember the taste. I do agree that Roxy Rolles leave something to be desired.

Speaking ill of Roxy? Aghast!

I will admit though, I am less of a fan since they changed the recipe. It's a lot less hoppy now, more malty.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
after you mentioned winter welcome a couple weeks back I tracked down a 4 pk
good stuff, nice taste
i like thename to...apropriate
Definitely liking it! Found out that the packy where I got the pint individual bottle has 4-packs so I picked one up tonight. The guy at the checkout massively approved, telling me that when they first got it in, he was bringing home cases on weekends. He said they will definitely continue carrying it. :D Which is good because they stopped carrying the few offerings they had from Woodstock Station, one of my favorite small breweries. :(