• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best uncrowded, beginner mountain for holidays??

nmr00

I'm looking to plan a ski trip during the week of the 28th somewhere in the North East (the closer to PA the better). I am a real beginner, having only done two nights of skiing before. We went to Blue Mountain where I tried Vista, Burma and Paradise and was terrified by the slopes and length (but mostly the slopes on Burma and Paradise). I had all I could do to maintain control and get down. I've taken two private lessons and will continue to do so. I really want to go somewhere that is NOT crowded w short lift lines. We were thinking Stratton but were discouraged by how crazy it allegedly gets (i don't know if during the week over the holidays it is any less so). Then we thought Gore, but based on what I read, the beginner trails seem kinda more advanced. The flatter the slope the better:) Then my husband suggested Bretton Woods - how is this? Its very far so I only want to consider it if it is significantly better than the others in terms of beginner trails and being flattish.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks! :snow:

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I'm looking to plan a ski trip during the week of the 28th somewhere in the North East (the closer to PA the better). I am a real beginner, having only done two nights of skiing before. We went to Blue Mountain where I tried Vista, Burma and Paradise and was terrified by the slopes and length (but mostly the slopes on Burma and Paradise). I had all I could do to maintain control and get down. I've taken two private lessons and will continue to do so. I really want to go somewhere that is NOT crowded w short lift lines. We were thinking Stratton but were discouraged by how crazy it allegedly gets (i don't know if during the week over the holidays it is any less so). Then we thought Gore, but based on what I read, the beginner trails seem kinda more advanced. The flatter the slope the better:) Then my husband suggested Bretton Woods - how is this? Its very far so I only want to consider it if it is significantly better than the others in terms of beginner trails and being flattish.

I appreciate any advice! Thanks! :snow:

Bretton Woods is a great choice, and Mount Washington Hotel trumps most other ski lodging on the East Coast. If you can tolerate a slightly longer drive, I think the Balsams would be an even better fit.

Warp Daddy

If you do go to BW you can also ski Cranmore in North Conway and King Pine they are both pretty benign too altho maybe a bit more skiers

skiadikt

my experience with xmas week skiing (mostly killington) is that mid-week it's surprisingly empty but builds throughout the week. this year may be a little different since the holidays fall on friday but i'd suspect monday - wednesday will be light. if you're a timid beginner, i wouldn't recommend k, but bretton woods should be great.

4aprice

Bretton Woods is a great choice but its far from Pennsy. It takes me 6 hours from North Jersey, close to the junction of I-80 and I-287.

Another option you might check out would be Bolton Valley. (slightly closer).

A 3rd suggestion would be Pico Peak (much closer) My experiences there have been that most of the crowds go to Killington and Pico remains relatively quite. Theres some nice novice terrain off the lower quad.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

kickstand

Bretton Woods has the potential to be an absolute madhouse that week. The way the holidays fall might keep some people away, but I was there once over the holidays and waited 45 minutes for the Zephyr quad. The lines for the Zephyr and the other quad were so long they were running into each other. I think I've gone back to BW once since then, for some early April skiing. No lines then.

That being said, there is some very gentle terrain there. I think, for the proximity, you might be better off with something in VT, but if you want to check out NH, there are some other places near BW that are worth checking out. Cranmore is fairly gentle and will be crowded, but not like BW, most likely. And Black Mt is very nice, inexpensive and *guaranteed* not to be crowded. Just don't expect the pristine snow conditions you would get at a Stratton or BW.

Geoff

Bretton Woods is a great choice but its far from Pennsy. It takes me 6 hours from North Jersey, close to the junction of I-80 and I-287.

Another option you might check out would be Bolton Valley. (slightly closer).

A 3rd suggestion would be Pico Peak (much closer) My experiences there have been that most of the crowds go to Killington and Pico remains relatively quite. Theres some nice novice terrain off the lower quad.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Pico is kind of limited for a novice. Ideally, you would like a mountain where you have a novice descent or two down from the top. You really should be a low-intermediate to ski the upper mountain at Pico.

nmr00

So it looks like we are going to Gore - how does that compare to Blue Mountain in terms of difficulty ? Any suggestions about what runs to do ?

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
You asked for something close to PA and setteled on Gore? Where are you coming from? What are you looking for? To me it sounds that a small ski areas such Hidden Valley in NJ or Mt. Peter in NY would be perfect for you, small, not crowded and easy. The reason I ask what your look for is that if you are looking for vacation destination then these would not fit as they are small mountains and are more suited for day trips. If southern PA, you may consider Seven Springs. I've never been there but know people that have, and it would appear to be a good beginner mountain as well as a destination resort.

nmr00

I don't know. My husband is suggesting this - he said it is not very crowded over the holidays and it is larger than the ones we have in the poconos. I just want something good for beginners.

Warp Daddy

So it looks like we are going to Gore - how does that compare to Blue Mountain in terms of difficulty ? Any suggestions about what runs to do ?

Having skied Gore several times there is VERY little there for abject beginners.

Gore is great for intermediate , advanced and experts and is a real favorite but i'm sure you'd be happier someplace else . I'd bet Gore will be very busy during the Holiday week it attaracts lots of skiers from the greater Capitol district region

That said i've never been to the Snowbowl area which used to be the old town ski hill not really on the mtn so perhaps that is what you are planning .

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Guys! Many of you missed the foremost critera - "the closer to PA the better"
You're getting too far north.

Bretton Woods is likely to add two hours from Stratton.

I would give serious consideration to Okemo. We don't jokingly call it "Slowkemo" for nothing!
First, it's got a lot of trails open, especially 25 greens. That is going to increase your odds of finding something you like. 62 of 119 Trails
Second, They have slow-skier designated areas.
Third, it's about the same travel distance to Stratton as it is to Okemo.
There are some nice, short low-mountain, near base beginner areas. If you are feeling more confident, you can stretch to some of the longer green trails.

I expect the blue intermediate trails will be very crowded, but you're not going there.
I would also expect the lodge to be a mob scene.

Couple of tips to avoid crowds:
First, go midweek if you can.
Second, get out early.
Third, later in the week, people tend to burn out/lose interest and you're apt to find more space.

You're not going to avoid many of the crowds, because of the week you picked. You're just going to have to compromise. I would have suggested smaller, out of the way areas, to avoid crowds, but their trail count right now is not sufficient in my mind.

Gore is an interesting suggestion: 13 of 90 Trails open.
4 of those are beginner. I still like the Okemo option better.
Think about it.

Last edited:

snoseek

If the base is o.k. try Black in N.H.

It won't be too bad if you want to avoid crowds. Also look into Mt Abram.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Shameless plug for my new home mountain Ragged. They have great beginner terrain. It is a small area though, only about 150 acres of trail terrain. It will be the least crowded of all but Tenney Mountain for New Hampshire areas. If there's decent natural snowfall, Tenney is only a half hour away and you'll have the place to yourself there. Ragged has what appears to be a bit more developed of a ski school program should you want lessons. I would rate these two, Black and the Balsams as being the least crowded NH areas.

As others have mentioned, midweek during the holidays typically isn't too bad. It might be a little worse this year the way the days fall though with NYE being on a Thursday.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I will put in a vote for Burke. Dedicated beginners are with a high speed quad servicing it right outside the lodge. Limited runs though, only four in the beginner area. You have the toll road from the summit but everything else is solidly intermediate or above.

Black, as mentioned above, is great for beginners but that is really adding a lot of drive time from PA.

I don't know how Bolton Valley does for crowds but that seems like a sound recommendation.