• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Bent ski pole, fix?

drjeff

I wonder why I've skied so many days in my life and can only recall breaking one pair of poles when I was a teen. Am I just lucky? I busted up several pairs of skis.

Agree! I've got somewhere over 1000 ski days over 30 years in my career and have only broken 1 pole, and even then it was because I did something stupid(baseball bat swung one of my poles at a tree coming back from the snowbowl area of Stratton after a stupid almost fall :rolleyes:

Skis, yup, and bunch of delams from slalom gate slams, bent shovels from plowing into bumps, blown edges from various rock hits, broken bindings, ripped off boot buckles, etc, etc, etc. But only 1 actual broken pole and couple of minor bends in my earlier days of "cheaper" non race quality aluminum poles.

wa-loaf

Me 2. What are you guys doing to break all these poles?

I haven't done it in a long time, but spring bumps always claimed a pole or two. Get off balance, put too much weight on the pole and it sinks in a foot, you keep going, pole bends ...

bvibert

Staff member
I haven't done it in a long time, but spring bumps always claimed a pole or two. Get off balance, put too much weight on the pole and it sinks in a foot, you keep going, pole bends ...

I bent a pole doing exactly that last year, almost broke it.

mondeo

Powder bumps, too. Falling on a pole spanning a couple bumps is another sure-fire way.

Shock

I took a nasty tumble in powder to bend it. My skis went under the powder at decent speed and I think I fell on the pole? That or it got planted too deep and bent when I fell.

hrstrat57

I have two pair of high end poles I swap back and forth....a pair of Leki Vision 2000 I bought new out of my last PSIA catalog the final year I was teaching and a pair of fancy Smith racing poles. Both were well over $100 list price new....

The Smith poles are bent.

That particular feature cost me extra $$$ :)

What size poles do you need?

You can always hunt down a real nice pair of poles on ebay....Leki, Scott, Swix, Goode are some of the finer brands....

You live in RI I see?

Check out 2nd time around across from the old Cranston police station - you might scam a cheap pair there....

Shock

I need ~52" poles. I'm still using my rossignols for now, but have a pair of 54" scott series 3's that came with the Vokl's I bought (too tall for me to use). I think I'm just going to keep skiing on my bent pole till the end of the season then upgrade to something nice.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I need ~52" poles. I'm still using my rossignols for now, but have a pair of 54" scott series 3's that came with the Vokl's I bought (too tall for me to use). I think I'm just going to keep skiing on my bent pole till the end of the season then upgrade to something nice.

I would bet you can go into any rental shop and pick up some used poles for real cheap.

Sometimes they even have a bucket you can grab the orphans from for free. Mismatched? Check your ego ;)

I had thought about grabbing a set at a ski swap jus to have spares. At swaps they go for a couple bucks a pair.