• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What music are you listening to right now?

jimk

Anybody need a two hour live tutorial on some of the best of classic rock? Here are some excerpts from the TORONTO ROCKS SARSfest 2003 Benefit Concert. The groups haven't quiet hit geezerhood yet at this time. The Guess Who, Rush, AC/DC give a string of performances from about 37 min to 1:16 that are really excellent. Rolling Stones come on after that, but their segment was a little uneven IMHO.

chuckstah

Saw Tragically Hip at Bills Bar in Boston close to 20 years ago. Great show. Lots of Canadian's made the trip south for the residency.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yeah, he had an interview the other day where he basically said he's accepted his fate and is starting to deal with a lot of memory loss. Has to write his kids names on his hands. Sad.

I saw them in Burlington while in college and listened to them a bit for a few years. I probably would have gotten a lot more into them had they frequently played in the US. Ever since the announcement of his diagnosis I've been listening to them a lot. The final Hip show was really great to watch on TV. I hope they release a DVD of that performance someday.

jimk

I don't know how many of you under 50 know much about Janis Joplin, but she was a friggin' force of nature. Check out this duet with Tom Jones from 1969: Raise Your Hand. Tom Jones has some serious pipes, but Janis makes him raise his game or else get shaked and baked right off the stage. :razz: This isn't the only choice stuff of Janis on youtube, unfortunately a member of the 27 Club:sadwalk:

crank

I don't know how many of you under 50 know much about Janis Joplin, but she was a friggin' force of nature. Check out this duet with Tom Jones from 1969: Raise Your Hand. Tom Jones has some serious pipes, but Janis makes him raise his game or else get shaked and baked right off the stage. :razz: This isn't the only choice stuff of Janis on youtube, unfortunately a member of the 27 Club:sadwalk:

My friend and I had tickets to see her when I was 13 or 14... unfortunately we could not find a ride to the theatre which was few towns away and had to sell the tickets. We did not get another chance as she was gone within the year.

dlague

I was just a kid so never really listened to her music. She does have a number of songs that are great but still not what I consider my interests.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been revisiting a lot of Ekoostik Hookah lately

Most have probably never heard of them. They're a regional band from Ohio who really never had much of a desire to grow outside of the local area. I lived out there in 2001-2002 and caught a whole bunch of their shows. In 2004 they hosted a trip to Amsterdam and played 3 nights at the famous Melk Weg and a night at another venue that I can't remember the name of. It was $800 to go and included airfare, tickets to all the shows and six nights accommodations in a hostile. During the day there were group gatherings at the city's great museums, the zoo, Heineken brewery and coffee shop tours. On one of the off nights String Cheese Incident was playing the Melk, which we also saw.

Great band all around, but especially the lead guitarist Steve Sweeney. That dude can play the shit out of a Les Paul.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5X0d32qsxBA

deadheadskier

Staff member
Been revisiting a lot of Ekoostik Hookah lately

Most have probably never heard of them. They're a regional band from Ohio who really never had much of a desire to grow outside of the local area. I lived out there in 2001-2002 and caught a whole bunch of their shows. In 2004 they hosted a trip to Amsterdam and played 3 nights at the famous Melk Weg and a night at another venue that I can't remember the name of. It was $800 to go and included airfare, tickets to all the shows and six nights accommodations in a hostile. During the day there were group gatherings at the city's great museums, the zoo, Heineken brewery and coffee shop tours. On one of the off nights String Cheese Incident was playing the Melk, which we also saw.

Great band all around, but especially the lead guitarist Steve Sweeney. That dude can play the shit out of a Les Paul.