• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Bump or Bust Mogul Competition - 1/30/2010

MR. evil

If your feeling really ballsy you can attempt 'The Jesus' , 'The Hulk' , maybe a 'NoSak' or the truly gnar 'Dumper Air'.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I almost forgot the 'Pole Daffy', one of my fav's.

That one takes skills, for sure. :wink:

Actually, you might get a laugh out of the fact that I am actually studying up for my airs from a 1976 book, "Freestyle Skiing: The Fundamentals"

:lol:

Good info, though. I love the oldschool stuff.

MR. evil

Bring that book with you, a few of us could use all the help we can get with airs. I am hoping to get the nearve to bust out a bad ass 2 o'clock twister

how about a 2 o'clock twister with a pole daffy, that would rock.

Chris Sullivan

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
We faired well through the rain. We opened today with no bare spots or trail closings. It looks like we will be back to Snow making Thursday night through Sunday Morning. We will keep snow making going while we are open on Temptor and Gunbarrel to ensure this weekends events go as planned.
We expect to have the entire area resurfaced by Sunday morning.
BMM if you are coming down I will bust out our one Ratnick in your honor.
I'm Not sure what the prizes are for this yet. I'll know tomorrow.

vonski

BMM, I am a North/Ellen weekend warrior. I was at Sundown last Wednesday night. There was some rain down here a day or two before that. The bumps last week were hard and edgeable. The pitch of the terrain is similar to the one bigger drop on Which Way! Maybe a little more pitch than that but not much more in my opinion. So, the bumps should be no problem as they resurface them later this week. I do not ski Sundown often but from their reports and from talking to others they have the snowmaking capacity to cover the hill with a good resurfacing. So, work on your Air this week. Expect the bumps to be fast!

Too think that Sugarbush folks are coming to Sundown for a comp is pretty cool. I almost don't want to go up this weekend but stay here and watch the comp. But I am a gluten for driving to ski the hardpack up north.

Good luck!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
We faired well through the rain. We opened today with no bare spots or trail closings. It looks like we will be back to Snow making Thursday night through Sunday Morning. We will keep snow making going while we are open on Temptor and Gunbarrel to ensure this weekends events go as planned.
BMM if you are coming down I will bust out our one Ratnick in your honor.
I'm Not sure what the prizes are for this yet. I'll know tomorrow.

Really appreciate the update, Chris! Sounds like you're holding up okay.

Definitely get the Rat out there. I love those guns!

Looking forward to meeting you. :spread:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
BMM, I am a North/Ellen weekend warrior. I was at Sundown last Wednesday night. There was some rain down here a day or two before that. The bumps last week were hard and edgeable. The pitch of the terrain is similar to the one bigger drop on Which Way! Maybe a little more pitch than that but not much more in my opinion. So, the bumps should be no problem as they resurface them later this week. I do not ski Sundown often but from their reports and from talking to others they have the snowmaking capacity to cover the hill with a good resurfacing. So, work on your Air this week. Expect the bumps to be fast!

Too think that Sugarbush folks are coming to Sundown for a comp is pretty cool. I almost don't want to go up this weekend but stay here and watch the comp. But I am a gluten for driving to ski the hardpack up north.

Good luck!

Thanks for the info. I'm just excited to check out what Chris and co. are up to at Sundown. From everything I've read, I think they're a great model for a regional/metro ski hill. I'm happy to go, have some fun, and maybe do a little post-event promotion on my site. It's the smaller ski areas that feed the bigger ski areas, and that are arguably most responsible for conversion (or lack thereof) of first-time skiers, so when I see a place like Sundown that seems to "get it," I wanna check it out firsthand and support what they're doing in whatever way I can.

But if ya come up here for the weekend, conditions should be nicely improved by then. Snowmaking is in progress as we speak, and a little natural snow + a lot of traffic might repair the natural trails faster than you'd expect. We shall see!

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It looks like we will be back to Snow making Thursday night through Sunday Morning. We will keep snow making going while we are open on Temptor and Gunbarrel to ensure this weekends events go as planned.

Looks like you'll have a wetbulb Low of 12.3F on Thursday night, a wetbulb High of 14.8F on Friday, and wetbulb Low of 3.3F on Friday night. That's a pretty good 36 hour snowmaking forecast. If all goes well, and your snowmakers are on top of wide-dispersal, conditions Saturday for the comp could be pretty awesome. It's gonna be a little chilly, I think! But that's never stopped me before!

vonski

BMM, Bring your Sugarbush pass. Sundown has reciprocating deal with Sugarbush if you were not aware. Should be $15.00 off a weekend ticket! If you need to buy one. I plan on getting in a bunch of nights this winter during the week as it is only $19.00 for night skiing! not bad for four hours. Money left over for Beer!

2knees

Cool, thanks. I've really gotta work on some sort of air. I'd like to do something other than a spread, but I've spend a cumulative total of about 5 minutes working on airs, so aside from my gnarly spread, I'm very lacking in that department. I was going to get into it a few years ago, but decided I wanted to have the skiing part pretty well mastered first.

So, my air is gonna be lame unless I can learn something between now and then. Guess I should go brave the variable conditions at the Bush the next coupla days, and find or shape myself an air bump upon which to practice.

last year, even the winners were only throwing spreads. Our long lost and very much missed Downhill04 threw a heli, but the outcome was downright terrifying.

there were attempts at spread twists and double twists but to be honest, they didnt really work out too well.

and yes, i will be throwin down a spread with a pole daffy.

MogulQueen

I skied the bumps today. They are firm, but you can still get an edge in so they are skiable. As Chris said, they will be blowing snow on them Thursday night and all Friday, so it will soften them a bit. There is a nice line going down skiers right, but the left line kinda sucks. I also noticed that they have begun working on the kickers. The one for skiers right is placed fairly well, but the one on skiers left sucks. There is no line leading up to it. I did talk to Chris about moving it closer to the other line and he said he will tell Jarrod. Hope they can make it happen, but I don't know the mechanics of moving a kicker. Even it is not perfect, I'm looking forward to it. It will be good times!!!!!!!!!!!!

mondeo

I only took one run down it tonight, but was surprised that it seemed actually pretty decent. A little rough with Watea 94s and no poles, but with proper equipment I wouldn't expect much trouble.

Greg

Staff member
Expect the bumps to be fast!

I think the surface will be fine. As Chris said, the plan is for snow making Thursday night up until the morning of the comp. Temptor holds snow better than any other trail. I talked to Chris tonight and the plan is to switch the heads to a lower capacity head Friday morning which means a bit finer snow. I will most likely be there Friday morning till early afternoon skiing with my wife, but I'll be sure to hit Temptor a few times to help ski in the snow making.

Too think that Sugarbush folks are coming to Sundown for a comp is pretty cool.

No doubt. I truly hope BMM sees the bigger picture after this weekend. Temptor is rather short so driving all the way down here from Mount Ellen, arguably the mogul capital of the East, is pretty hard core. I hope our little hill makes him want to come back in March for the S7 mogul comp.

I almost don't want to go up this weekend but stay here and watch the comp. But I am a gluten for driving to ski the hardpack up north.

Remember last March? While everyone was waiting for powder up north and had to ski frozen gran, we were ripping sweet spring bumps...

Thanks for the info. I'm just excited to check out what Chris and co. are up to at Sundown. From everything I've read, I think they're a great model for a regional/metro ski hill. I'm happy to go, have some fun, and maybe do a little post-event promotion on my site. It's the smaller ski areas that feed the bigger ski areas, and that are arguably most responsible for conversion (or lack thereof) of first-time skiers, so when I see a place like Sundown that seems to "get it," I wanna check it out firsthand and support what they're doing in whatever way I can.

Very cool. Remember, set your expectation accordingly. MQ mentioned how much of a ripper this Sisson guy from Killington is. We were wondering what he would think of our little hill and the short bump run on Temptor. We came to the conclusion that as a ripper, he'll probably appreciate it regardless of Sundown's size. Again, plan on coming back for S7 too. that event is going to make a statement from what I hear.

Even it is not perfect, I'm looking forward to it. It will be good times!!!!!!!!!!!!

Most definitely.

mondeo

Did you break a ski again?
Apparently I dropped too strong a hint.

So anyways...
And here's your present:

21852_1294199709422_1063181921_30957643_7389476_n.jpg

Displayed next to the Cabrawlers I broke exactly 1 year earlier.

Hopefully my F17s make it past January 23, 2011.
Hoping to get the F17s Thursday and actually get a day in on them before the competition.

Greg

Staff member
was skiing with the hammer (the guy that won the spring comp) last wknd and told him that sisson and bobsled were going to head down for the contest. he asked if i wanted to go down there with him (i cant, but ill be at the spring comp), so dont be surprised if the hammer shows up for the comp as well. mogul queens husband is in also

Nice!!! Us local hacks love having out of state rippers come down and hand us posers our asses. :lol:

Bart lives in town and is the best shot we have. He better compete. Sounds like Shannon Stewart is working Saturday morning and may or may not compete.

Seriously, love having K mart rippers down here. Totally validates what our little hill is doing.

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Very cool. Remember, set your expectation accordingly.

Dude - I learned to ski on 400' vert in PA. I've seen just about every "size" of ski area possible. I'm already impressed with Sundown, just anxious to get there myself. I have a passion for the smaller areas (probably because I'm inundated with the reality of a large resort 24/7).

Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun.

Greg

Staff member
Anyway, looking forward to meeting everyone and having some fun.

Likewise. And my social commitment for the evening is no longer so I can enjoy a beer or two with you. :beer: Bring your guitar? :idea: ;)

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Likewise. And my social commitment for the evening is no longer so I can enjoy a beer or two with you. :beer: Bring your guitar? :idea: ;)

I'll throw the guitar in the truck... could be fun. I can't stick around long, though. I've got a 4 hour drive and early morning commitments.

Greg

Staff member
BTW, if powhunter bowing out is not bad enough, the infamous johnnypoach will not be in attendance either. It just won't be the same without him...