• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Sundown Bump or Bust Mogul Competition - 1/30/2010

Greg

Staff member
Here are some prelim details:

BUMP OR BUST MOGUL COMPETITION

DATE: SATURDAY, JANUARY 30
TIME: 1-3PM

CATEGORIES:

MALE U-18
MALE 18-39
MALE 40+
FEMALE U-18
FEMALE 18+
SNOWBOARD-OPEN

EVENT LOCATION: TEMPTOR; DUAL (BLUE & RED) COURSE, EACH LINE WITH ONE KICKER

JUDGING CRITERIA: SPEED, LINE AND AIR – 3 JUDGES

– PRELIMINARY: EACH CATEGORY WILL GET 1 QUALIFYING ROUND AND WILL BE JUDGE ON TURN, AIR AND SPEED

IN CATEGORIES WHERE TOTAL NUMBER OF CONTESTANTS IS 24 OR LESS, EVERYONE GOES HEAD TO HEAD IN THE FINALS (1/24, 2/23, ETC)

IN CATEGORIES WHERE TOTAL NUMBER OF CONTESTANTS IS 25-74, TOP 24 WILL GO TO THE FINALS AND BE MATCHED UP HEAD TO HEAD (9/24, 10/23, ETC. THE TOP 8 WILL HAVE A "1st ROUND" BYE

IN CATEGORIES WHERE THE TOTAL NUMBER OF CONTESTANTS IS 75 OR MORE, TOP 32 WILL GO TO THE FINALS AND BE MATCHED UP HEAD TO HEAD (11/32, 12/31, ETC. THE TOP 10 WILL HAVE A “1ST ROUND” BYE

HEAD TO HEAD MATCHES ON BLUE COURSE AND RED COURSE. WINNER OF HEAT WILL BE DETERMINED BY 3 JUDGES HOLDING UP RED OR BLUE FLAGS AND WILL ADVANCE TO NEXT ROUND.

They're looking for feedback so feel free to post here.

gmcunni

sweet. i am winning my age bracket or at least making the finals!! HOW you ask? no self-respecting over 40 bumper would pass up the chance to compete against the real competion in the 18-39 bracket.

i have no self-respect and will be the unchallenged over 40 winner :lol:

Greg

Staff member
sweet. i am winning my age bracket or at least making the finals!! HOW you ask? no self-respecting over 40 bumper would pass up the chance to compete against the real competion in the 18-39 bracket.

i have no self-respect and will be the unchallenged over 40 winner :lol:

180 and Dave Adams will be in the 40+ category. Good luck with that. :lol:

gmcunni

180 and Dave Adams will be in the 40+ category. Good luck with that. :lol:

re-read my post.. they'll want to compete against the best, not the old folks. they'll sign up for the 18-39 bracket where the real competition and prizes live.

WJenness

Format question:
IN CATEGORIES WHERE TOTAL NUMBER OF CONTESTANTS IS 24 OR LESS, EVERYONE GOES HEAD TO HEAD IN THE FINALS (1/24, 2/23, ETC)

how does this work?

Elimination tables require powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32) to work like this... Either the top 8 get byes (resulting in first round matchups of 9 v. 24, 10 v. 23, etc) or you aren't running a true elimination bracket...

Don't care as I'm not going to be skiing the event, but it's format details like this that cause crazy fencer parents to yell at me while I'm running tournaments.

-w

2knees

If 180 and Dave go for the 40 and over, i'm going under. If they go for the 18-39, i'm in the 40 and over.

2knees

Format question:

how does this work?

Elimination tables require powers of 2 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32) to work like this... Either the top 8 get byes (resulting in first round matchups of 9 v. 24, 10 v. 23, etc) or you aren't running a true elimination bracket...

Don't care as I'm not going to be skiing the event, but it's format details like this that cause crazy fencer parents to yell at me while I'm running tournaments.

-w

lol, no knock on the event but its been an issue from the start. Last year, it was 1vs2 and 3vs4 in the second round. shoulda been 1v8 and 2v7 and so and so forth.

MogulQueen

Hey, I'm in the 40+ category too........oh yeah, there IS NO 40+ for women! No biggie, I like the challenge. I would like to offer my 2 cents. Could you make the women's prize somewhat comparable to the men's?

Trev

Is the age bracket determined by Mental, Physical or Actual age? I need to try and place myself correctly.. is there a handicap? or do I get points for leaving handicapped ?

:)

Where do we sign up ?

I am game, even if I place last, I place.. lol.

bvibert

Staff member
The judges should hold up score cards at the end of the run... 8)

I'm gonna have to see if I can get out of work early that day.

gmcunni

well. 40 over or under, i won't be winning, placing or even showing.. i won't be playing the game at all. other plans that weekend with the wife :-(

powhunter

Gonna miss this one also....Taking the following week off for our Northern VT tour...Most definately doing the spring one though

steveo

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hope to make it. At the rate I'm going, those might be the first bumps I ski all season :???:

MR. evil

I would like to offer my 2 cents. Could you make the women's prize somewhat comparable to the men's?

Agreed!!!!!!!!!!!

I am really going to get my ass handed to me for this, but here goes. Also keep in mind that I don’t even expect to qualify.

If the women’s field is as large and as competitive as the men’s open division then I agree that the prizes should be equal for both sexes. But if the men’s division is 4 to 5 times larger and much more competitive as it has been in years past, then the men should get better prizes. Last year half of the women’s bracket in the January comp were children (not even teenagers) and then something like 2 or 3 adults. If history repeats itself, does the lady that wins that hotly contested division deserve the same prize as the winner of the men’s comp which will have some seriously talented bump skiers going head to head skiing in 5 or 6 heats? IMO this should also apply to the men’s over 40 division. If that turns out to be a small division, the winner should not get the same prize as the winner of the men’s open division. Also remember that women can enter the men’s division if they want to compete for the bigger prizes. Last year a women made it 3 or so rounds in before being knocked out.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I am really going to get my ass handed to me for this, but here goes. Also keep in mind that I don’t even expect to qualify.

If the women’s field is as large and as competitive as the men’s open division then I agree that the prizes should be equal for both sexes. But if the men’s division is 4 to 5 times larger and much more competitive as it has been in years past, then the men should get better prizes. Last year half of the women’s bracket in the January comp were children (not even teenagers) and then something like 2 or 3 adults. If history repeats itself, does the lady that wins that hotly contested division deserve the same prize as the winner of the men’s comp which will have some seriously talented bump skiers going head to head skiing in 5 or 6 heats? IMO this should also apply to the men’s over 40 division. If that turns out to be a small division, the winner should not get the same prize as the winner of the men’s open division. Also remember that women can enter the men’s division if they want to compete for the bigger prizes. Last year a women made it 3 or so rounds in before being knocked out.
Slippery slope, Tim. So you're suggesting considering the competitiveness of the bracket to determine the prize? Couldn't it be argued that the mens division is more competitive because it has better prizes? Women aren't made structurally the same as men and won't be as strong without steroids, so expecting them to compete in the men's division to get a shot at the better prize hardly seems fair. There are some great women rippers out there but why should they bother if they know they'll be treated as second-class citizens when it comes time to hand out awards?

Obviously, I am not one of these women... but I hate to see unequal treatment.

MR. evil

Obviously, I am not one of these women... but I hate to see unequal treatment.

Wouldn’t it also be unequal treatment for one group to receive the same compensation and or prize for doing less?