• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Need quick lesson on NH skiing

gmcunni

i admit, i grew up a VT snob.. ski VT or don't ski at all.

I'm learning, embracing new ways but find myself lacking knowledge of NH areas and on my way there. With the pending blizzard of New Year's day i'm psyched for some fresh snow but also concerned with high winds and potential windholds.

We originally planned to ski Sunapee for 3 days (th - sa). I've skied there a few times in the past but not really familiar with their operations. We are staying south of Sunapee and look to be within driving distance of Crotched & Pat's Peak as well (never skied either).

Can anyone clue me in on these places and how they handle windy days? are Crotched or Pat's a hidden gem not to miss on a powder day (a la magic/ berkshire east)?

appreciate any/all info.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I wouldn't rank Crotched and Pat's very high as powder day hits. Short on vertical and not a lot of terrain options available and they will groom the majority of their terrain. Also, the rain/snow line is very up in the air at this point but from what I have read, I think these locations are too far south for the big hit. You would be better off targeting Ragged from Sunapee instead of Crotched or Pat's if you are looking for a secondary hit within driving distance of Sunapee. Ragged has more terrain, better natural snow offerings, very good glades for its location, and is more of a "hidden gem" than Crotched or Pat's. Ragged's only problem here in high winds is it does have a high speed lift. Not sure about how it does in high wind.

Then again, if you are driving up from CT to ski NH and spending three days at Sunapee, you do indeed have a lot to learn about NH as you are missing its best mountains (Cannon, Wildcat, Loon, Waterville, Bretton Woods, etc.) and NH's best hidden gem, Black Mountain (which should be going the hell off if this weekend's forecast pans out!).

Personally, I think it would be worth your while to keep driving northeast and target Maine and north eastern NH instead of Sunapee if you are focused on the storm. All the major areas have a nearby hidden gem with a fixed grip lift setup (Wildcat/Black, Sunday River/Abram, Sugarloaf, Saddleback), etc. And there are a few other smaller places in ME and NH in that area as well.

gmcunni

Then again, if you are driving up from CT to ski NH and spending three days at Sunapee, you do indeed have a lot to learn about NH as you are missing its best mountains (Cannon, Wildcat, Loon, Waterville, Bretton Woods, etc.) and NH's best hidden gem, Black Mountain (which should be going the hell off if this weekend's forecast pans out!).

free house in Washington NH.

ragged looks to be a little over an hour from Washington, will put that on the list of potentials.

thanks for the info.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Never skied there but you might also want to add Dartmouth to your short list. Not sure how much snow they currently have nor how much terrain they have nor am I familiar with their trail opening policy based on natural snow. But I have long had Dartmouth on my "must ski" areas list. Probably better than Crotched or Pat's but not as good as Ragged (perhaps?).

bigbog

A couple smaller areas, along with Abram(Locke Mills, ME) in southern Maine are Shawnee Peak(Bridgeton) and Black(Mexico/Rumford..?). Have always wanted to stop and ski both Ragged and Black(NH)...

Last edited:

WWF-VT

If you are staying a short drive from Sunapee you could luck out and have minimal crowds. Sunappee is a day trip rather than a destination resort for most people so if driving is a challenge and you are close it could be good.

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
I wouldn't rank Crotched and Pat's very high as powder day hits. Short on vertical and not a lot of terrain options available and they will groom the majority of their terrain. Also, the rain/snow line is very up in the air at this point but from what I have read, I think these locations are too far south for the big hit. You would be better off targeting Ragged from Sunapee instead of Crotched or Pat's if you are looking for a secondary hit within driving distance of Sunapee. Ragged has more terrain, better natural snow offerings, very good glades for its location, and is more of a "hidden gem" than Crotched or Pat's. Ragged's only problem here in high winds is it does have a high speed lift. Not sure about how it does in high wind.

Personally, I think it would be worth your while to keep driving northeast and target Maine and north eastern NH instead of Sunapee if you are focused on the storm. All the major areas have a nearby hidden gem with a fixed grip lift setup (Wildcat/Black, Sunday River/Abram, Sugarloaf, Saddleback), etc. And there are a few other smaller places in ME and NH in that area as well.

Seconded. I have nothing more to add to what's already been said. I grew up in NH, so I'm a reverse VT snob (I guess it could be called an inferiority complex). I've only skied in VT a couple times since I picked the sport back up a few years ago. Besides the snow, the biggest difference between the two is that in NH, you'll find fewer ski resorts and more ski areas.

SIKSKIER

Unfortunately,skiing at the afore mentioned areas near Washington won't change your mind about being a Vermont snob campared to NH.Sunapee and Ragged are the best and biggest in your target area and do a good job with what they have.If you want the best NH has to offer you must get into the Whites.There really is no comparison.It's a whole different world.We have much bigger mountains than Vermont and the rest of New England but not in that part of the state.Do yourself a favor and make at least one day trip to Cannon or Wildcat to see the "ROOF" of the northeast!

Geoff

From Washington, NH, you also have Ascutney. Depending on temps and where the most snow ends up falling, that could be an option.

wa-loaf

From personal experience Ragged is nice on a powder day. Ride the slow lift the glades on that side don't get tracked out all that fast.

Smellytele

Sunapee has some good glades. The issue seems to be when I go there they always seem to have the untracked ungroomed trails closed until they can groom them. It pisses me off. maybe I hit it on the wrong powder days. They do claim they have the best grooming around but at what expense.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sunapee has some good glades. The issue seems to be when I go there they always seem to have the untracked ungroomed trails closed until they can groom them. It pisses me off. maybe I hit it on the wrong powder days. They do claim they have the best grooming around but at what expense.

Now that sucks

Could not imagine standing outside a roped off trail watching untracked pow being groomed.

lazyasian

I'm considering going to Loon, since I've got the New England Pass, and Sugarloaf/Sunday River are a bit too far away for me this time. How is it on a powder day/a windy day?

Smellytele

Now that sucks

Could not imagine standing outside a roped off trail watching untracked pow being groomed.

It broke my heart as well. The leasing of Sunapee did some good. More reliable snow and chairs. New chair at Cannon as well as all the other improvements at Cannon. It also did some bad - over grooming and a different attitude at Sunapee.

Smellytele

Loon does have some great terrain out of camp 3 and the newer western section but can get madly busy on weekends. Powder days can be good - never been on a windy day.

polski

Website
twitter.com
I'm a big fan of Ragged's glades but it's an open question whether they'll get enough snow out of this storm to open them. In another thread a couple posters offered that Ragged needs 16-18" or more at this point to open the woods. Out of all the storm scenarios out there I haven't seen one that plausibly points to that much by Saturday if that's your last ski day. By early next week, possibly a different story; this storm seems likely to be a slow-but-steady long-duration event.

wa-loaf

I'm going to see if I can get someone to watch my kids Sunday so I can make a run up north somewhere. Depending on where the snow hits, Ragged - Cannon are on the list, but I'll go all the way to Sunday River if I have to.