• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 1/4/10

jr05

Conditions: Packed Powder
Date: 1/4/10

Got up a little late this morning and didn't get onto the mountain until 10:00am. There were a few more people than I expected, I ended up parking in row 13. Conditions were not as good as I was hoping after the weekend storm, but not bad either (shouldn't have expected too much, they only got a few inches on sat). The heavy use trails (Connifer and Ralphs) had good coverage, but not much depth to the good snow, standard conditions after a good morning grooming. By the middle of the day, connifer had a good number of scraped down icy spots. Smith was my trail of the day and had some nice areas of thick snow most of the way down. The crowd really started to pile in around 4:30 when the after school programs showed up. I called it a day and went up to the black diamond restaurant for a burger and a guinness. Had never been up there before, decent food and they had guinness on tap.

jr05

Moguls were fully formed on the left side of 10th. I did not venture through them as I was on my snowboard most of the day.

Shock

I went there for night skiing, it was pretty packed most of the day till about 8:30. The after-school kids were falling down all over the trails, making it hard to ski with any speed. If they weren't falling down, they were making slow wide turns across the entire trail. After they left, it seemed to clear out and the lift line went away. Connifer had icy spots before grooming,and even after it got scraped down again. Smith had guns going on it for quite a bit which kind of ruined the trail for me as it kept freezing up my goggles. 10th was trail of the night.

neil

I was there last night too. Overall I found the conditions pretty good. I was expecting it to be a lot more scraped off, especially how busy it was when I got there at 7ish.

It was a shame about Smith blowing snow because I did one run down it and my goggles completely froze over. Couldn't see a thing!

10th was a lot of fun though. Very few scraped off spots, and with my newly waxed board I was flying down it (for me at least).