• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Facebook Twitter shares.

wa-loaf

OK, so that takes the sample size up to 10, 20 or 30? Still a small sample size in my book! :wink:
p.s., my sister is the only sibling using the internet and she uses it to read emails about once a month. I know hundreds of people like that.

My Mom and my inlaws are all on FaceBook and they are in their 60's pushing 70. It gets used to varying degrees, but it's an easy way for them to keep up with what their kids and grandkids are doing.

You just seem fairly internet savvy with your dashboard and everything. I assumed you were on FB.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
You post your trips or gear reviews on facebook, maybe some of your friends check it out and join AZ ... also just an easy way to share the same info with more people from your standpoint.

It's more of a social interaction thing, not a technology thing. I'm an engineer by training, so I like technology and have a lot of gadgets. But in the 60s and 70s, we developed our relationships face to face and with letter writing. Phone calls were expensive. Calculators were non-existent. Computers cost millions and were sealed access in back rooms. I programmed with punch cards. Then again, I helped design fundamental computer products that make Facebook even possible., but that does not mean I am comfortable with developing and sustaining relationships online. I suspect you will be able to do that, as will my kids.

Information was always stale - if you want to be up to date, you read the newspaper. You have several deep relationships, not hundreds of shallow. No insult to the group at all, you're all nice folks, but I wouldn't refer to any of you as "friends" unless I met you face to face. Again, it's a social thing.

Asking these old horses to change to a different form of social interaction is difficult. I had a friend who began issuing Christmas "dispatches", a photocopied, printed letter outlining his past year. It was not even signed with a pen. Read like a press release. I was insulted, as were many other people; that's the way we are. So, I'd argue the "generation gap" is always there, not that many transcend it. My congratulations to you. The "gap" was just as present with my parents, and grandparents, it was just different issues.

I have a Facebook account, so do most of my cousins, alumni friends, ski and hiking buds, but we hardly ever use it. We communicate by email and phone - keeping it personal and private. It demonstrates value in the person and the relationship. I see it differently as do you. There is no right and wrong here - it's a matter of style.

Greg

Staff member
It's more of a social interaction thing, not a technology thing. I'm an engineer by training, so I like technology and have a lot of gadgets. But in the 60s and 70s, we developed our relationships face to face and with letter writing. Phone calls were expensive. Calculators were non-existent. Computers cost millions and were sealed access in back rooms. I programmed with punch cards. Then again, I helped design fundamental computer products that make Facebook even possible., but that does not mean I am comfortable with developing and sustaining relationships online. I suspect you will be able to do that, as will my kids.

Information was always stale - if you want to be up to date, you read the newspaper. You have several deep relationships, not hundreds of shallow. No insult to the group at all, you're all nice folks, but I wouldn't refer to any of you as "friends" unless I met you face to face. Again, it's a social thing.

Asking these old horses to change to a different form of social interaction is difficult. I had a friend who began issuing Christmas "dispatches", a photocopied, printed letter outlining his past year. It was not even signed with a pen. Read like a press release. I was insulted, as were many other people; that's the way we are. So, I'd argue the "generation gap" is always there, not that many transcend it. My congratulations to you. The "gap" was just as present with my parents, and grandparents, it was just different issues.

I have a Facebook account, so do most of my cousins, alumni friends, ski and hiking buds, but we hardly ever use it. We communicate by email and phone - keeping it personal and private. It demonstrates value in the person and the relationship. I see it differently as do you. There is no right and wrong here - it's a matter of style.

Jeez, billski. You're really not that old, but you sure act it sometimes... :roll:

Newsflash: Most of us grew up communicating by letters and payphones.

Greg

Staff member
BTW, Facebook is not meant to be an alternative to building real life relationships, but rather to complement to them. Very much like this site, on which you've accumulated 6,600+ posts. I've reconnected to some degree with people I haven't communicated with in years. That's kinda cool.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Jeez, billski. You're really not that old, but you sure act it sometimes... :roll:

Newsflash: Most of us grew up communicating by letters and payphones.

Greg,
There is a sizable population who share my attitude. It's all about respecting different approaches to living. If you do not encounter it, you run in a different social circle. Call me acting "old", that's OK with me. Welcome to my world!

Greg

Staff member
BTW, given your updates in [thread="26192"]this thread[/thread], you've effectively been Twittering, and you didn't even know it... :lol:

gmcunni

BTW, given your updates in [thread="26192"]this thread[/thread], you've effectively been Twittering, and you didn't even know it... :lol:

wait, so if YOU tweet a thread that i post in does that mean i'm being published too? isn't that an invasion of my privacy?

wa-loaf

wait, so if YOU tweet a thread that i post in does that mean i'm being published too? isn't that an invasion of my privacy?

This isn't a private forum, everything you post here shows up on a google search.

Greg

Staff member

Not really, just a link to the thread is being tweeted, or posted to Facebook. People could easily do that manually anyway. Also, thousands of people find their way to these forums every day via search engines so things posted here are hardly private.

bvibert

Staff member

You're posting on a public forum, what privacy would it be a violation of? It's just another method of sharing AZ's content with more people. Someone could just as easily email a link to a thread here to all of their friends and accomplish the same thing...

deadheadskier

Staff member
I know more people in their 50s and 60s that use Facebook than those who don't. I probably only visit the site once a week unless I get an email notification that someone is trying to connect with me in some way.

gmcunni

You're posting on a public forum, what privacy would it be a violation of? It's just another method of sharing AZ's content with more people. Someone could just as easily email a link to a thread here to all of their friends and accomplish the same thing...

oh, did i forget the winkie? ;-)

Trev

Your on the Internet, anywhere, you've given up your privacy already.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Stats

I know more people in their 50s and 60s that use Facebook than those who don't. I probably only visit the site once a week unless I get an email notification that someone is trying to connect with me in some way.

And I know more who are not on Facebook. Anecdotal information is just that. None of us can draw generalizations from our own own social circle.

20090201fbdemobar.png

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I assume that's the same age group that balked when internet first became available in homes, as well as when home computers became the norm. ;)

The data you quoted is almost a year old. I'm not saying there are necessarily 5m people in your age bracket using FB, but a lot can change in a year.

Greg

Staff member

That data is almost a year old. It's my observation that 2009 was the year Facebook really took off. Secondly, Facebook was originally created for university students to network so it's logical that the highest percentage of users are in the 18-25 category. Also, I wonder how that graph aligns with the average age of all Internet users.

And I know more who are not on Facebook.

None of us can draw generalizations from our own own social circle.

You immediately contradicted yourself here. :lol:

Anyway, not sure what we're debating anymore. It's not for billski, and that's fine, but I think it has more to do with his personality than his age. I know a lot of people that scoffed at Facebook before they started using it (myself included), and now enjoy it. It is an interesting social experiment.