• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 1-11

powhunter

Heading up to the playground around 11 for a few hours...should be as good as yesterday..better if the bumps got dusted

steveo

Greg

Staff member
Heading up to the playground around 11 for a few hours...should be as good as yesterday..better if the bumps got dusted

steveo

Chris said they were making snow on them again last night.

Greg

Staff member
I'm going to be out on Temptor tonight, shovel in hand, trying to dig in a decent line for the left course. I already PM'd most of the Sundown mogul crew, but if anyone else wants to head to the institution tonight and help ski in this new line, it would be appreciated.

Trev

I'm going to be out on Temptor tonight, shovel in hand, trying to dig in a decent line for the left course. I already PM'd most of the Sundown mogul crew, but if anyone else wants to head to the institution tonight and help ski in this new line, it would be appreciated.

What time are you headed over Greg ?

Greg

Staff member
What time are you headed over Greg ?

Gonna aim for 7 pm. Jarrod is going to send a terrain attendant to the top of Temptor at 8 pm to help dig. I'll probably dig for 2 hours and then slip/ski the line for the last hour to help work it in. The more people skiing it/providing feedback the better.

Trev

Gonna aim for 7 pm. Jarrod is going to send a terrain attendant to the top of Temptor at 8 pm to help dig. I'll probably dig for 2 hours and then slip/ski the line for the last hour to help work it in. The more people skiing it/providing feedback the better.

Kewl, see what I can pull off here.. might make it out.. pretty good chance actually.

Greg

Staff member
how does the digging work? Hadn't heard that strategy before...

No idea. I'll figure it out tonight. :lol:

It's really the only option at this point and I anticipate only having to relocate a few mis-placed bumps at the bottom half. The top is going to need more work. Essentially I plan to simply plop piles much like they do with the groomer when they seed. I'll also try to relocate some loose snow over them and it will then be up to skier traffic to shape them. Lots of snow making up there the last several nights so there's plenty of snow. It will be either a great success or an epic failure, :spin: but either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. My back probably won't like me though. :lol:

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
No idea. I'll figure it out tonight. :lol:

It's really the only option at this point and I anticipate only having to relocate a few mis-placed bumps at the bottom half. The top is going to need more work. Essentially I plan to simply plop piles much like they do with the groomer when they seed. I'll also try to relocate some loose snow over them and it will then be up to skier traffic to shape them. Lots of snow making up there the last several nights so there's plenty of snow. It will be either a great success or an epic failure, :spin: but either way, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens. My back probably won't like me though. :lol:

Now THAT'S dedication! :beer:

2knees

i'm a little lost here. what are you digging? are you digging troughs? or just trying to alter the landscape or literally are you going to be hand seeding a line.

whatever the case, i really wish i could be there tonight to help but there's no way. i will, however, be there tomorrow night to armchair quaterback your work. i'm a hard critic too so dont f it up.....:razz:

bvibert

Staff member
i'm a little lost here. what are you digging? are you digging troughs? or just trying to alter the landscape or literally are you going to be hand seeding a line.

whatever the case, i really wish i could be there tonight to help but there's no way. i will, however, be there tomorrow night to armchair quaterback your work. i'm a hard critic too so dont f it up.....:razz:

Skier's left there's essentially no line at all on the top. So, essentially, the task is to hand seed a line, working with what little is already in place. Should be interesting...

Greg

Staff member
You guys are bumming me out. Think positive!

And when you're rocking and rolling on a sick new line tomorrow night, you'll have my busted back and blistered hands to thank. :lol:

Seriously, I'll put an hour in and see what happens. The main area I'm going to concentrate on is from the top to the point of where the first kicker usually is. If it looks like an effort in futility (i.e. too hard of a base), I'll simply try to eliminate some walls and call it a night.

2knees

not trying to bum you out, just dont trust you on temptor with a shovel. :lol:

somehow, it feels like i'm gonna show up tuesday and find something along these lines.

snow-fort-2.jpg

mondeo

I'd think best bet would be to build bumps by slipping, only using the shovel to reshape walls/dropoffs. Maybe chop some with the shovel to make the slipping more productive. Could we get some bamboo to mark where we're putting new bumps? That would probably help from a slipping/skiing in perspective.

Greg

Staff member
not trying to bum you out, just dont trust you on temptor with a shovel. :lol:

somehow, it feels like i'm gonna show up tuesday and find something along these lines.

snow-fort-2.jpg

See the post below yours. We now have mondeo on board to ensure we are doing it right... :lol:

2knees

this reminds me of that one night we were skiing temptor a few years ago where you and I spent like 20 minutes digging with the shovels of our skis to work in like 3 bumps. It looked so good that i climbed up and went right at it.

remember the outcome of that adventure? It sounded like a shotgun blast and my ski flew about 30 feet in the air i believe.......