• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stretches before skiing

Greg

Staff member
You're supposed to do them. I normally never do although I know I should. Do you? If so, what do you do?

2knees

You're supposed to do them. I normally never do although I know I should. Do you? If so, what do you do?

Head.....

Shoulders......

Knees and toes
knees and toes.

repeat

and eyes and ears and mouth and nose.

head

shoulders
knees and toes, knees and toes.

Greg

Staff member
You're on a roll today punk. Hitting the hill tonight?

mondeo

Quads and hamstrings at Killington, or longer sessions at Sundown. Both standing stretches for about 30 seconds.

2knees

You're on a roll today punk. Hitting the hill tonight?

should be. and i'll be packing my bump building tools.

snowball-maker-l.jpg

hammer

Sometimes I'll do some basic knee stretches (knee up, pull back on instep) and some simple hamstring stretches, but I don't push it. I think the CW is not to stretch until you have had a chance to warm up first anyway.

Trev

Lower back and those leg things... usually at the car.. takes a minute.

Warp Daddy

stretch every day whether skiing or not

Back stretchs including knees to chest , trunk lifts , pelvic compressions then a McKenzie Stretch routine , then follow with two differant achilles /calf stretches and hamstring stretches , followed by "cross-overs" ie flat on back leave one shoulder touching floor while pulling opposite leg and knee over to touch the floor -- all of these routines are done in 3 sets of 5 , then wall squats for quads

pump lite iron for bi's and tris ,

Then shoulder stretch hold elbow and pull that arm up to touch your back

SKIQUATTRO

i honestly dont think 3-5 min of stretching before skiing will do any good if you havent had a stretching program in place all along.

I stretch 15min after every work out at the gym and even at home when just watching TV....its amazing how stiff the muscles get...i was a springboard diver and used to be bend like a rubber band...

jaywbigred

I've had 2 doctors tell me never to stretch a cold muscle, so I tend to stretch groin, hamstrings and back while in the lift line, after the first run or two. I stretch my arms after the ski day is done by lifting beers.

drjeff

Legs, back, neck either as I'm waiting for my wife to make it from the lodge to the lift or at the top of the 1st lift as she's buckling her boots (in either scenario I seem to have a good couple of minutes to stretch out a bit ;) :rolleyes: :lol:

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
I have also heard you're not really supposed to stretch cold muscles. I think a good long stretching sequence AFTER skiing will do much more for your next day out on the hill than 3-5 mins of quick stretches when cold and starting the day.

My brother said he read once that when Michael Jordan was in his prime, he'd spend as much time stretching as he did working out!:blink:

Warp Daddy

i honestly dont think 3-5 min of stretching before skiing will do any good if you havent had a stretching program in place all along.

I stretch 15min after every work out at the gym and even at home when just watching TV....its amazing how stiff the muscles get...i was a springboard diver and used to be bend like a rubber band...

basically agree here ------------i do my previously mentioned routine AFTER a gym workout or after a brisk 2-3 mile walk

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
I used to. But that whole thing about not stretching a cold muscle seemed prudent so I haven't bothered in years. Never had any issues. Warp Daddy has the right idea... work out and stretching really should be a daily thing. Leave it to the old fart to be showing us youngin's how its supposed to be done!!! :D

psyflyer

I've had 2 doctors tell me never to stretch a cold muscle, so I tend to stretch groin, hamstrings and back while in the lift line, after the first run or two. I stretch my arms after the ski day is done by lifting beers.

You should come to Burke, you will never have to experience a lift-line ever again.

Warp Daddy

I used to. But that whole thing about not stretching a cold muscle seemed prudent so I haven't bothered in years. Never had any issues. Warp Daddy has the right idea... work out and stretching really should be a daily thing. Leave it to the old fart to be showing us youngin's how its supposed to be done!!! :D

ROFLMAO RIV hell that's why i 'm still able to ski /bike and a whole lot of other chit at 66.5 yrs of age ----Use it or lose it :D:D

Dr Skimeister

I do a series of yoga-inspired static stretches before each ski day. Specifically stretching adductors, knees, quads and lumbar muscles. The stretches were illustrated in either SKI or Skiing some 10-15 years ago. Also helps set my mind for the day.

Skier75

stretch every day whether skiing or not

Back stretchs including knees to chest , trunk lifts , pelvic compressions then a McKenzie Stretch routine , then follow with two differant achilles /calf stretches and hamstring stretches , followed by "cross-overs" ie flat on back leave one shoulder touching floor while pulling opposite leg and knee over to touch the floor -- all of these routines are done in 3 sets of 5 , then wall squats for quads

pump lite iron for bi's and tris ,

Then shoulder stretch hold elbow and pull that arm up to touch your back

I like this advice, I think I'll try to incorporate these into my daily routine.