• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sundown 1/12

Picked up the boys at 3pm. Sunny and 35. Nice drive. When did Route 8 become 65MPH? Did I miss this last year? We made all the lights through Torrington which is always the sign of a good day. Arrived to a beautiful sunset and falling temperatures. It was soon 20 degrees and I was a little under dressed. We made sure we saw Chris Sullivan. Spencer thanked him for the brochure, but Shea wanted to know why he did not make it. He is the only family member never making a ski brochure.

Noreaster was firm, but the lines are good to go. We were hoping for a overnight dusting, but none was there. I spoke to Chris about some strategies for making them better.
1. Put brushes in
2. Make snow during the day and allow the bumpers to ski them in.
3. clean up the bottom of the course, it is really uneven.

I discovered Sundown's version of a powder day, waiting for the rope drop after evening grooming. The three of us were able to make it 1,2,3 down for first tracks down the park. Skied a few runs next to the race course. Why are they not separated from the public the whole way. I almost hit several racers who were not too happy.

Sorry to not see any AZ'ers, but the kids had a blast. We still love the Sundown vibe. Left around 8:30 and hit Friendly's. Love those sundaes!

Last edited:

2knees

not sure how i missed you, i was there around 7:30.

tried to clean up the line a little with the shovel. not sure if i managed any changes but i did try to alter 4 of the more sweeping turns.

ski patrol was all OVER that trail tonight. it was actually tough to get around them at times.

Greg

Staff member
Sorry I missed you. Didn't get on the hill until 9:30 and took two runs, but we had a flawless race aside from one of the wands sticking. A bunch of lights out on Nor'easter so I skipped those bumps. The left line on Temptor is definitely improved until right at the bottom. Still some work to do, but there's still time until the comp. I definitely noticed 2knees's shoveling work after the whale bump. Temptor bumps were still pretty powdery over firm bumps. Didn't hit any ice and minimal hard pack.

SkiDork

you guys are lucky - I wish I could get there in a reasonble time for some night putting.. I mean skiing...

caddyshack-watn-200x225b.jpg

MogulQueen

not sure how i missed you, i was there around 7:30.

tried to clean up the line a little with the shovel. not sure if i managed any changes but i did try to alter 4 of the more sweeping turns.

ski patrol was all OVER that trail tonight. it was actually tough to get around them at times.

Was Bart causing trouble? He patrolled last night. Sorry I missed you all last night. I did a few runs and then I was on the race course.....not THE race course, but the other one the gapers are on. I think I'm starting to like it despite my inability to tun early at the gates.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Rt 8 Watertown>Winsted has been 65 for a long time now. ;)

RE: the racers, with limited terrain, I imagine that's why the trail doesn't get entirely closed while racing is going on... however, it may as well be closed because it's dangerous trying to ski over there with racing going on. I believe that the expansion plans include a dedicated race trail, but it will be some time before that happens.

Nice pic with Chris Sullivan! :) This could be Shea's year to make the brochure! :D

bvibert

Staff member
Glad you guys had a good time 180, sorry I didn't see you guys. Getting first tracks down the fresh evening groom is really fun!

2knees

Was Bart causing trouble?

i doubt it. there was a group of about 20 and they were snow plowing and side slipping down temptor. some kind of drill i guess. But it kind of got depressing when i spent 1/2 an hour reshaping a few lines and i come back up and i see them all going down, right where i was working, in their snowplows.

anyone know what the purpose of that drill would be?

Greg

Staff member
Was Bart causing trouble? He patrolled last night. Sorry I missed you all last night. I did a few runs and then I was on the race course.....not THE race course, but the other one the gapers are on. I think I'm starting to like it despite my inability to tun early at the gates.

You were faster last night and Bart got silvers.

Greg

Staff member
RE: the racers, with limited terrain, I imagine that's why the trail doesn't get entirely closed while racing is going on... however, it may as well be closed because it's dangerous trying to ski over there with racing going on.

It's really only an issue on Tuesday nights when the dual course is set up. The NASTAR course really doesn't take up much of the trail.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
It's really only an issue on Tuesday nights when the dual course is set up. The NASTAR course really doesn't take up much of the trail.

It's not just the course but the racers who are lapping but not currently racing that are of concern. When I see the "race training" sign up or it looks like there are gates up, I give Gunny a wide berth. Then again, I don't have the mad skillz you guys do and people skiing fast close to me make me nervous.

MogulQueen

anyone know what the purpose of that drill would be?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Bart did say they were doing some kind of practice rescue on Temptor. I think the ski patrol are not that skilled in the bumps and more and more people are going into them so they need to practice it before a real deal comes around.

When I said close the trail, I meant at least have a ribbon down the side of the course. I easily could have skied right into a racer without noticing.

The patrollers have to be able to snowplow with control down any terrain so they can pass exams.

kingslug

Ok, Looking to improve my mogul game and this looks like a good place...Hunters are a little too steep and icy to practice on a lot...mistakes are painful. In good conditions I have no prob...when it gets icy ....have to work on it.