• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Burke 14Jan10

Edd

Conditions: About 12 degrees when I got there, warming to mid-20s as the day progressed. Cloudy but good visibility.

Wow! My first trip to Burke and I loved it! I got to the Sherburne Lodge about 20 minutes before the lifts started. They are on Liftopia so there are good deals to be had. Took 2 chairs to the summit and then used one chair for the rest of the day; a slow quad. I shared a lift chair one time all day.

I took a warm up run on Upper Willoughby. Smooth cord and no scratch at all. They have a pretty good snowpack; it's a winter wonderland up here. The first run was fine but nothing special. Then I hit Carriage Road, a narrow natural blue. Then I hit East Bowl, another narrow winding ungroomed trail. Then I start to realize the vast majority of the upper mountain is like this. Deer Run, Lews Leap, Wilderness, one kick-ass trail after another! I was pretty blown away and the place was dead!

I had a couple of beers for lunch at the Mid-Burke lodge; very cozy joint with a fireplace. All of the staff I dealt with were super-nice. Then I went back out and repeated some of my runs and found a couple of new ones. Sometimes I had trouble reconciling the trail map with where I was skiing. It didn't matter, though. The place is like a natural trail paradise. I didn't have one bad run. East Bowl is one of the funnest trails I've skied in the east.

I skied hard at Cannon the day before and skied even harder here. By 2:15 I was dead and skied back to the main lodge for the first time all day. The place was loaded with kids. I was glad because I want the place to do SOME business. If you had parked at the mid-lodge you would never have known there were a bunch of kids skiing there.

This mountain strikes me as a viable alternative to Jay. It's not as extreme but there are plenty of trees, gotta be less crowded and less scratched off, and it's like an hour closer.

Sorry, I have decent pics but I can't seem to upload them to my albums anymore. I guess they have to be resized now. Too computer stupid to deal with it.

Go to Burke!

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Nice. Hope to make it back there this season. Only been once, in the pouring rain last season for half a day following punishing myself hard at Stowe and Sugarbush the two days prior.

will be at the Stone Church tonight with the wife if you're around

snoseek

I love how this place can connect avid skiers with great areas like Burke/Magic/Saddleback

Curious-Edd did this place even a little point you torwards trying Burke?

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm not suprised you had a great time.

I had Burke come to a club meeting earlier this year. They are great. I've never had a bad day at Burke. It's on my radar as a choice for this holiday weekend with minimum crowds. Just waiting to see the storm track.

Edd

I love how this place can connect avid skiers with great areas like Burke/Magic/Saddleback

Curious-Edd did this place even a little point you torwards trying Burke?

Oh, yeah. Without a doubt.