• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2010 Disabled List

Greg

Staff member
Not hearing much about ski injuries this season which is a good thing. But I figure I'll start it off. Saw the doc today and he confirmed my suspicion. I have a direct inguinal (groin) hernia. The weird thing is I really don't know how it happened so while not a ski-related injury per se, I'm pretty sure it's going to sideline me for a bit.

Doc gave me the clearance to ski, citing that skiing, by his definition, is not going to cause much of an issue, but knowing how I ski, I've decided to sideline myself for a bit. Going to see the surgeon this week to discuss options. Hopefully, he'll be a bit more skiing aware. If surgery is on the table, I think I'm going to opt for it ASAP in hopes of salvaging March onward. I think otherwise, I'll be skiing very conservatively for the rest of the season, and what fun is that?

No real pain, aside from what's in my head. This is bullshit. But it is what it is, I guess. :x

Stay healthy everybody.

powbmps

Wow, that does suck. Hopefully you're good to go for spring. Interesting that the Dr. cleared you for skiing. Did you mention skiing bumps to him?

skiadikt

well that sux. bummer ...

as far as injuries, pretty beat up at this point. been wearing a knee brace since opening weekend on cascade (at k). blinded by a wet gun, hit a pile of heavy wet snow and went down. ligaments. few weeks ago tweaked my shoulder in a fall. this weekend on thimble pulled something in my lower back. not from a fall, just hit a bump out of rhythm. prolly sit this weekend out.

skiadikt

Not sure he would've known what those were... :lol:

maybe i'm wrong but doesn't skiing bumps properly require abdominal strength (staying centered, forward etc). if so perhaps a hernia could be an issue.

andyzee

Website
www.nsmountainsports.com
maybe i'm wrong but doesn't skiing bumps properly require abdominal strength (staying centered, forward etc). if so perhaps a hernia could be an issue.

Well then he may have to choose between not skiing bumps or watching his nut roll down the hill.

All kidding aside, hope it's not bad and you get well real quick.

reefer

Ouch...........................take care of that. I agree that it is all out or nothing. We want you back for spring.................................

drjeff

Hope everything goes well (descision making process and eventual treatment). I'm sure you could pull a tring or two and be the honorary starter for a Sundown bump comp or two if some recovery time is needed :)

gorgonzola

bummer to hear, get fixed up quick

i had a scare two weeks ago with a pinched nerve in my neck - close to going to the ER two nights with unbearable pain and numbness in the left arm. it was a liitle frightening but since it was directly related to head/neck posture, i was releived it wasn't circulatory. been hitting the chiropractor regularly for traction and doing lots of ice therapy to manage the inflammation - down to a little numbness in the fingertips and a little discomfort sleeping. probably shoulda taken a break from skiing but figure if i can work, i can ski. skiings ok but skating hockey practice with the kids kills it....