• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

do you use walkie talkie on the mountain?

gladerider

Kids are pre-teen - old enough to go out a bit on their own, but I still need to know where they are so we have 4 Motorolas. They've worked great at Ragged and Sugarloaf - but not so much at Gunstock.

Even just having the parents spread around the mountain with different sets of kids, it makes coordinating breaks and hand offs easier.

in fact, that's why i am asking around. my kids are now teenagers and they want to go off and play with their friends. cell phones are not reliable sometimes and was going to buy a set, but not sure they are more or less effective than cell phones....

thank your for your replies guys

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The biggest problem with them is the high volumes for all to hear. It annoys all your neighbors and embarrasses your kids. It's only fun for the first 10 minutes. That's why I use an earpiece in my helmet.

jrmagic

in fact, that's why i am asking around. my kids are now teenagers and they want to go off and play with their friends. cell phones are not reliable sometimes and was going to buy a set, but not sure they are more or less effective than cell phones....

thank your for your replies guys

Sorry I guess I never really answered your original question.... for kids I think they are great on the mountain. if they are out with a group of kids you can monitor what is going on just by listening to their comments to each other. You wont get that on the cell. They work great on a line of sight basis. At my home mountain, it is difficult to contact someone from the base to the summit as there is a ridge that blocks the signal but that usually only last for a little bit. On a multifaced mountian this could be an issue but I have not experienced that as a problem as of yet. For distance its not a problem as I sometimes hear converations from Bromley and Stratton which are both 10 miles away or more.

jrmagic

The biggest problem with them is the high volumes for all to hear. It annoys all your neighbors and embarrasses your kids. It's only fun for the first 10 minutes. That's why I use an earpiece in my helmet.

The earpieces are a very good idea. I had one but I ahvent been able to find it yet this season so I may have to get a new one.

vonski

I use them at Sugarbush Ellen side all the time. Give one to my kid and he is off with his friends. I have noticed that the weather can decrease the signal Blue bird days are the best. There is no Verizon signal on that side of the mountain, but I would probably carry both if my phone did work.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Sorry I guess I never really answered your original question.... for kids I think they are great on the mountain. if they are out with a group of kids you can monitor what is going on just by listening to their comments to each other. You wont get that on the cell. They work great on a line of sight basis. At my home mountain, it is difficult to contact someone from the base to the summit as there is a ridge that blocks the signal but that usually only last for a little bit. On a multifaced mountian this could be an issue but I have not experienced that as a problem as of yet. For distance its not a problem as I sometimes hear converations from Bromley and Stratton which are both 10 miles away or more.

As far as being blocked by trees or big-ass skiers, hey, you're on a board or skis. Just move to another location and try again. You'll get through.
Actually, I kinda miss it when cell phone coverage wasn't happening on the mountain.

So far in the past two years, I've gone by three people who have been engaged in serious conversations on their cell WHILE SKIING down the hill. I guess boarders are smart enough not to try this one :)

Lostone

I guess boarders are smart enough not to try this one
Nope! Saw one riding and talking, yesterday. :roll:

I use one all the time. I am a mountain ambassador. I usually have a radio on the ambassador channel whether I'm working or not. I get a couple trail reports. (You can often judge the report by who gives it, if you know how they ski.)

You can also find when a lift goes down or up. As I remember there were a few on this board who were happy to be on the chair with me when Bravo went back up, in the past. ;)

polski

Website
twitter.com
What range radios are we talking about here? I know from experience that the "2 mile range" radios don't get that with clear line of sight on an open beach. What's the effective range on at a good-sized eastern resort for the 5-mile?

We've got old cheapie Cobras and in addition to the range constraint, the one or two times we tried using them skiing we encountered various problems from having them in our pockets, such as how they would switch to other channels while we skied.

All that said, just the other day I was wishing we had the radios when I hit local woods with my son (who was on a snowboard that he doesn't really know how to use yet) and wife (on snowshoes). On descent I ended up over a ridge out of their sight. Good old-fashioned yelling wound up doing the trick, but still.

vonski

What range radios are we talking about here? I know from experience that the "2 mile range" radios don't get that with clear line of sight on an open beach. What's the effective range on at a good-sized eastern resort for the 5-mile?

We've got old cheapie Cobras and in addition to the range constraint, the one or two times we tried using them skiing we encountered various problems from having them in our pockets, such as how they would switch to other channels while we skied.

All that said, just the other day I was wishing we had the radios when I hit local woods with my son (who was on a snowboard that he doesn't really know how to use yet) and wife (on snowshoes). On descent I ended up over a ridge out of their sight. Good old-fashioned yelling wound up doing the trick, but still.

my motorolas lock on to the station that you want them on so they don't change channels. Also the older 2 mile range ones don't work as well as the new longer range ones. I have both.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

polski,
Watts output and antenna height matters a whole helluva lot more than the marketing claim of miles. The marketing claim is for perfect conditions, which none of us have. Second, "line of sight" provides the most optimum signal.

The original FRS radios, which you probably have are good for about an effective .output of 1/2 watt (1 watt on spec). The GMRS style (which requires a $80 5-year license) has an effective output of 1.5 Watts (5 watt on spec). The longer the antenna, the better your range, less convenient for your pocket. GMRS radios generally can send and receive on FRS channels, under a lower power.

Now, my experiences.

I started with a FRS, but unsatisfied with the range, graduated to GMRS.

I have a licensed GMRS set. When we are at Stowe, if I stand on an open trail, I can talk to the house, which is line-of-sight 2-miles away, with a few dozen trees in the way to the house. When I'm in the woods, I get between 1/2 mile and 1 1/2 miles. Forget it if a hill gets in the way, so you want to be on the same side of the mountain when using them. I've heavily used them at Loon and Stowe. At Loon, I ski with Ambassadors who are often called here and there, you don't know where they are, but they are on a trail. I always get through to them. My wife used to hang inside the lodge (not near a window) and we could usually get through to her. Also Spruce to Mansfield is no problem. It gets a little choppy sometimes, but we can communicate. Most of the whining is by people who don't use them properly, which is most people.

The compact ones are about 5" in height, but don't work nearly as well as the ones that are about 9" in height.

If you want them to be most effective, the antenna should be away from your body, with the antenna vertical. Also, you can optimize your range by getting in the middle of a clearing/trail. Interestingly, comms from the base elevation is often better than the summit, because you increase the odds of line of sight.

Usually I ski with an dual earpiece in, one on ipod, one on radio. I hear the call, pull over to safe clearing and then respond. I never try to talk on the go.

polski

Website
twitter.com
Thanks. Question for me becomes whether it'd be worth the investment to upgrade & get license for GMRS. One consideration is the place I'm likely to ski most in any given season, MRG, & the surrounding area still is not friendly to major cell carriers like Verizon (what I have) - though Verizon has approached them about putting a cell tower on Gen. Stark Mountain. Also, my boys don't have cell phones, yet. Anyway, appreciate the useful info.

pcampbell

Does anyone use GMRS anymore? I like the idea of a secondary communication method. In the event that you are incapacitated but are able to communicate, AND your phone does not work (here, we have cell coverage so this means something like your phone was smashed), a 2 way radio may still work.

I am a GMSR licensee and about to take and pass my HAM technician test, but I like the idea of someone there all the time if NEEDED. I have considered starting up a local radio "group", but not sure that enough people really care enough for that to work.

tekweezle

I use them where I don't have cell coverage like outside the us.

Seems like they've fallen out of favor now so no cross talk on the channels anymore.

Sent from my Htc Incredible via tapatalk....

Lucy

Last time I went to the mountains, there was fragmentary cellular coverage and I thought that it would be better to have a walkie-talkie. I'm planning to visit the USA next winter and this question is actual. Do you really have such good coverage that you don't need a radio? And I've learned on https://lookforword.net/ that the only free band you have, FRS, needs some license by rule. Is it true? What is the license, does anybody know? Thank you in advance!

mbedle

Lucy - cell service is okay at most resorts and you should be okay. As far as walkie talkie's, use of the FSR band does not require any license.