• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

1/24-1/25 storm

WinnChill

So Winn, how's the second half of the week looking? NWS is forecasting a likely prob for snow in the hills on Thursday. Is this anything worth watching or just a dusting?

Hey Bill,

Was out all afternoon--just got in. As far as getting the snow/freezing levels back down to support snow, we're in good shape the rest of the week--they'll be back down by late tonight/tomorrow. We get a little residual moisture Tues-Wed with some upslope snow showers (light stuff mainly...probably a few inches, give or take) from mainly Killington northward, Loon northward, and around SR/SL in ME.

Yeah, Thurs probably a better shot at some enhanced snow showers with more energy aloft helping out, maybe a little "squally"....again, northernmost resorts across VT/NH/ME probably get a few more inches out of that. It gets real cold Friday!

I'll keep things updated here for
VT, NH, and ME resorts. I'll be tweaking a few things tomorrow (Thurs totals) but that's it in a nutshell.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

WinnChill

By the way, we're gonna be doing some (VT/NH) ticket and lodging giveaways soon on our Facebook page, so it may be worth checking out guys!

deadheadskier

Staff member
Most depressing thing in this storm for me today was driving by Whaleback. They don't make much snow. It was already hurting when I drove by at noon. Driving back the other way and seeing the snow loss at 5 was a punch below the belt. :( I don't ski there. I just feel real bad knowing how much an event like this one sets back the little areas like Whaleback

drjeff

Absolutely nuts driving today. I left my office in Northeast CT about 2 to head over to Hartford to teach a class, and had the "pleasure" of driving almost the whole way in what had to be the worst of the storm! :eek: Tree limbs coming down on the backroads, flooded sections of roadway, and then when hit I-84, the wind was howling from the South, basically perpendicular to the highway and with the firehouse quantity of rain coming down in the wind, the one thing it reminded me of was driving in total whiteout conditions :eek: A wil ride to say the least!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Are you sure about Friday @Stowe?. NWS says hi of 13 yet you show a hi of zero. Are you talking summit or valley temps?
Hey Bill,

Was out all afternoon--just got in. As far as getting the snow/freezing levels back down to support snow, we're in good shape the rest of the week--they'll be back down by late tonight/tomorrow. We get a little residual moisture Tues-Wed with some upslope snow showers (light stuff mainly...probably a few inches, give or take) from mainly Killington northward, Loon northward, and around SR/SL in ME.

Yeah, Thurs probably a better shot at some enhanced snow showers with more energy aloft helping out, maybe a little "squally"....again, northernmost resorts across VT/NH/ME probably get a few more inches out of that. It gets real cold Friday!

I'll keep things updated here for
VT, NH, and ME resorts. I'll be tweaking a few things tomorrow (Thurs totals) but that's it in a nutshell.

Hope that helps.

Cheers!

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Speaking of rivers raging, Pemigewasset is over flood stage now at 10 feet! Possibly to rise!
Just woke up and noticed our field at the bottom of the hill is completely flooded out. This usually happens about four times a year, not too often in the middle of the winter though! :eek: Snow pack has been substantially reduced by about 3/4 here in the low lands of Ashland. Quite a hit.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Just woke up and noticed our field at the bottom of the hill is completely flooded out. This usually happens about four times a year, not too often in the middle of the winter though! :eek: Snow pack has been substantially reduced by about 3/4 here in the low lands of Ashland. Quite a hit.

Sheesh. Stowe is reccommending groomers (no surprise) and has snow making blasting.

polski

Website
twitter.com
I'm just glad we have any snowpack left at all here in NE Mass. and hope it doesn't completely melt out before arctic air moves in - would hate to have to start a new base from scratch in the local bc/NELSAP hills I've been hitting, especially if we wind up getting any snow from ocean-effect late this week or the coastal storm forecast for this weekend.

WinnChill

Are you sure about Friday @Stowe?. NWS says hi of 13 yet you show a hi of zero. Are you talking summit or valley temps?

I know it shows Base temp but it's more of an overall mid-slope temp (we show base and summit temps for some CA resorts)....the bottom falls out on Friday so it's going to be frigid all around! I'll be adding windchills here in a bit.

Snowmaking temps look fantastic this week so hopefully they'll all go full blast on the guns!

Johnskiismore

Website
www.skine.net

It is pretty wild, the mountains were covered with snow only two days agao, and now it is back to yuck brown for the most part