• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Recovering from the Jan. 24 Storm

drjeff

To quote a patient of mine, who was just in, who has a house up by Mad River/Sugarbush (and was up there yesterday with her kids) "yesterday was UGLY" :eek: And in all the years I've known her, she's always a "the glass is 1/2 full" type of person

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Stowe appears to be trail-constrained today, especially on the blacks. Lots of grooming and daytime snowmaking going on.

MRG is shuttered for the day, waiting for the water to drain. Given they don't make snow, they treat it with TLC. Just as well.

I hate seeing green grass in January.

dmc

Hunter is groomed out and snowmaking has started...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Mt. sneaux's site said they had/have a limited amount of terrain open this morning because it didn't drop to below freezing until very late...like at 3-4 a.m. So they only were able to groom a few trails...as they didn't want to groom until the wet slop i mean snow set up with the freeze to avoid making just ice. Makes sense..... The East needs snow...and cold and it will set up nicely again. As far as January thaws go, this one warm rainy weekend isn't so bad.

Warp Daddy

Snowing up here now Titus looks like it survived fairly well on their webcam will be back up tomorrow . Snow Ridge and McCauley Mt. may get up to a foot of LES by tomorrow

snowmonster

Sunday River Community boardmembers are reporting snow on Jordan Bowl. Here's the Sunday River mountain report from today:

"Our old friend winter has return(ed) here at Sunday River with light snow falling this morning and the forecast calling for continued snow on and off through the rest of the week, followed some sun heading into the weekend.

"With the colder temps Sunday River's grooming fleet is out in force this morning turning over the snow and laying down cordoroy, and thanks to our great base depths they have plenty to work with. Barker, Locke, Spruce and North Peak will be covered first with all the major trails being groomed. Meanwhile, our snowmaking crew is at the ready and will be unleashing the most powerful snowmaking system on the planet throughout the rest of the week. Between snowmaking and grooming, nobody can bounce back from a spell of warm weather and speed up the return of mid-winter conditions like Sunday River.

"Lifts open at 9am today, however please note that the Aurora Peak, Jordan Bowl and upper White Cap will not be open today. Last chair is at 4pm."

Vortex

Sunday River Snowmaking starts tonight on Lower Lazy River, Lower Downdraft, Lower Risky Business, Vortex, Black Hole and Airglow!
16 minutes ago · Comment ·LikeUnlike

from face book

thetrailboss

Staff member
SB: on their page indicates that grooming is underway. LP is coming back online slowly. ME has some limited options right now.

SkiMRV firsthand accounts say that at LP the natural runs on the lower mountain have lots of brown spots.

No need to fear...the ski tie is on and it is snowing right now where I am! Snowmonster--you'd better get yours on.....

3-ties.jpg

roark

I'm wondering about the effects of grooming today versus letting the water drain more...

atvkilla

have a trip planned to smuggs this weekend. Looks like they have a small handful of beginner and a small smattering of intermediate trails open. Figures; the 1 long weekend trip I get to do all year :cry: :puke:

BushMogulMaster

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Mt. Ellen held up better than I expected, in terms of depth. Everything is still open, except the park. Not too many large bare spots on Cliffs even. There are sketchy spots on the hill, but we'll piece it back together. I'll know the "plan" for the week soon, and will share what I am able. Good news is, it looks like we're going to be getting some upslope snow over the next 72 hours, so that will help significantly. I wasn't out on the mountain today (just drove up to the shop), but I'm guessing the snow is variable, frozen granular + chunks, etc. I'll probably be on snow in some form or another tomorrow (either on skis, or in a cat), and can update further.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Mt. Ellen held up better than I expected, in terms of depth. Everything is still open, except the park. Not too many large bare spots on Cliffs even. There are sketchy spots on the hill, but we'll piece it back together. I'll know the "plan" for the week soon, and will share what I am able. Good news is, it looks like we're going to be getting some upslope snow over the next 72 hours, so that will help significantly. I wasn't out on the mountain today (just drove up to the shop), but I'm guessing the snow is variable, frozen granular + chunks, etc. I'll probably be on snow in some form or another tomorrow (either on skis, or in a cat), and can update further.

Knew we could count on you for the "North" perspective. Hopefully some snowguns are going to be in the mix.....

VR17

Big Tupper

going to be a tough go for the little area run by volunteers with no snowmaking. It was getting quite thin in spots over MLK weekend. talked to a friend in Tupper, said they had big rain and wind all day, major snow loss. better start doing some snow dances. Why is it we always seem to get our biggest precip events in the form of rain in the winter months? time to move N/NW for real snow.

jrmagic

TB, good idea.

roark, any idea how Magic is holding up?

They were closed yesterday because of the weather which I think was the right move however they are now in mid week closed mode so there arent any "official" updates available. If I had to speculate I woudl say it aint looking to pretty right about now. THnaks to the decent amount of snow they blew early, The normal east side runs will be open on Friday. I dont have much hope for anything on the west side until we get some more natural as they didnt blow any snow there and in general when it is warm and rainy that terrain seems to detiorate more quickly. I emailed a friend of mine who lives locally to give me a real report. If he actually looks at his email (not too often lol) and replies I will post it here otherwise I expect sometime on Thursday there will be an official report of sorts.