• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mid-March in CT

BackLoafRiver

Hey all,

I just found out I am going to be in Burlington, CT for a music festival March 18th - 20th. I am not sure exactly what my free time is going to entail (although, if it was anything like last year, Friday I have nothing to do) but I was wondering what some possible skiing options were. I know everyone talks about Ski Sundown and that it is in Hartford. (I am pretty sure the conference hotel will be there also) Where else should I be looking?

I don't think I will have my own skis with me (since I am also transporting students and their instruments) so suggestions on where to rent/ demo are appreciated. I hope to at least pack my own boots.

Any thoughts are appreciated!

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
Other than Sundown, there's Southington (which is probably about the same distance away from Burlington, but I don't know if I would head there) and Mohawk (maybe 35-45 min away, depending on where in Burlington you'll be). S7 will be going on at Sundown on March 20th (with the 2nd bump comp of the season).

Greg

Staff member
Sundown is actually in New Hartford, about 15 miles (as the crow flies) Northwest of the the city. Yeah, S7 will be a hoot and a ton of AZers will be there that day. I could envision skiing that Friday there too to practice. Not sure if you mountain bike, but Burlington is home to a great MTB network too and you never know. The trails might be snow-covered, muddy or totally dry.

BackLoafRiver

I just started biking last season and absolutely love it. I was thinking it would be great to get some trail riding but wasn't sure how the conditions would be. There must be a rental shop somewhere in the area, right?

The only nab about coming down with students...never enough room for my stuff. :smile:

2knees

Mid march last year.....

god i hope its that good again this spring.

Greg

Staff member
Mid march last year.....

god i hope its that good again this spring.

Footage of those money lines begins at 2:19. I know some people like to say the Sundown bumps are small, but those looked and skied like legit moguls to me...

Ballistic

I would suggest Ski Sundown hands down. It's way better value than Southington. And Mohawk, even if comparable, is farther away from you (especially if your staying in Hartford). Make plans for Ski Sundown.

(also note, if you are in fact staying in Hartford, that is a cool 2 hours from the 590 acres of nice terrain that is Mt. Snow.)

BackLoafRiver

So, I am making final arrangements for this week. It looks like I am going to be down Wednesday through Saturday. Unfortunately a bulk of the time I will be with students. With the latest weather, am I better off planning to bike or Ski? I was leaning more to biking at this point. Thoughts on a good bike shop?

Also, I could use some helpful hints as to places to eat/ drink/ see...etc.

2knees

So, I am making final arrangements for this week. It looks like I am going to be down Wednesday through Saturday. Unfortunately a bulk of the time I will be with students. With the latest weather, am I better off planning to bike or Ski? I was leaning more to biking at this point. Thoughts on a good bike shop?

Also, I could use some helpful hints as to places to eat/ drink/ see...etc.

sundown plans to reopen wednesday. If you have any desire to ski bumps, its a can't miss.

seriously, its supposed to be 60 and sunny all week long. this may end it for us, but it should go out with a huge bang.

bvibert

Staff member
Biking might be iffy in spots due to all the rain we just had. I'd do some skiing if it were me. Like Pat said, this may be about it for us, but I expect good coverage right up until the end.

jarrodski

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Website
www.skisundown.com
the skiing will be sweet and the bumps could use as much traffic as possible.

at this point they are unphased by the rain and "the rock" is essentially the only touble spot on the whole trail.

the rest of the hill will come back to life with little to no trouble... this is not the hardest project we;'ve given kurt. its really good up there