• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Conditions - 12/27 ~

O

oldhippie

So I have been looking over the ski condition reports.

here's Burke's latest.
Update: 12/27/2003 5:29 PM
Note: 4/4 lifts, 29/43 trails, Terrain Park is open!!
New Snow: 4"
Base Depth: 6-24"
Trails 67% Open
Snow Surface: Packed Powder/ Powder
Base Temp: 21°
Summit Temp: 18°

Looks like going north is appropriate. I wonder how real the "PP" condition report is.

I also noticed Killington and other more southern mountains quoting PP and PDR.. I wonder how real those reports are...

J

jlangdale

Sugarbush had great powder and packed power on Saturday from the Thur Night/Friday Morning 12" of snow. I went down Middle Earth and fluffy mounds everywhere, although the cover was thin on the natural snow trails with exposed ground, gaps, streams, etc. Exterminator also had tons of powder.

By later in the day with the large crowds things got packed down pretty good. There was also nicely groomed runs with good cover.

O

oldhippie

Duty Calls.

Jon, thanks for the report. I think Michael hit the nail on the head. it is our "duty" to get on up there and do some scouting and report back!

Unfortunately I can't get up there till Tuesday. But, Tuesday is a target, now it's just a matter of what mountain. I may try Sugarbush.. or MRG. Gotta love driving Rt100!

J

jlangdale

Tuesday is expected to see NCP :angry: With possibly flurries returning Wed/Thur.

Max

I was hiking in NH over the past 2 days and in general the natural snow depths in the Crawford Notch area (Bretton Woods) are deeper than in Franconia Notch and the western Kanc (Cannon & Loon). It looked like a good size crowd at Loon on Saturday and they were making snow. Judging by the nice powder in the woods while I was snowshoeing on Friday, I imagine the PP conditions at Bretton Woods must have been incredible.

Max

O

oldhippie

Great!!

So, it sounds like the northen and eastern areas are where we want to point our skis.

Bretton Woods might be a good destination.

J

jlangdale

After the holiday crowds have had their fun, Bush trails at least are showing signs of wear. Had a few trails closed due to thin cover, North Lynx was also closed today. But I'm not complaining,it was an awesome day of skiing! Blue sky in the morning turning slightly overcast. Got some great shots on NASTAR. So warm out today you could ski without gloves. Perfect.

NCP in store for Tuesday. Let's hope we either get another dump late next week or get some snow making weather for those resorts that like to blow.

Joshua

going to Sugarbush for three days this week and looks like a good inch of rain on Monday night tues morning with a few flurries after...

not going to get a foot like friday this time

needless to say I am furious right now

J

jlangdale

I'll be up there tomorrow morning and on Thursday. Hopefully the r~~n won't be too bad and Sugarbush has at least built a snowmaking base on the major hightways. North might be better than south if it gets bad.

ScottySkis

So I have been looking over the ski condition reports.

here's Burke's latest.
Update: 12/27/2003 5:29 PM
Note: 4/4 lifts, 29/43 trails, Terrain Park is open!!
New Snow: 4"
Base Depth: 6-24"
Trails 67% Open
Snow Surface: Packed Powder/ Powder
Base Temp: 21°
Summit Temp: 18°

Looks like going north is appropriate. I wonder how real the "PP" condition report is.

I also noticed Killington and other more southern mountains quoting PP and PDR.. I wonder how real those reports are...

Bump from few years ago lol 2002
Sweet thread for us winter enthusiasts
I miss being in my 20s ski was easier than
Me and few friends went over new England Catskills and upstate NY
Memories.