• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great Road Biking weather

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Hmm... thinkin' bout it.

I'll have to get that trainer a bit earlier than expected I guess. I just don't want the training to interfere with the rest of the ski season...

:dunce:

I could probably do it. Let me see about a trainer first.

skibum1321

andyzee said:
Any idea what kind of course this might be? Hills?
I'm not really sure. Maybe you want to try e-mailing someone from the Charles River Wheelmen.

I should probably work on purchasing that road bike sometime soon...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
skibum1321 said:
andyzee said:
I'm not really sure. Maybe you want to try e-mailing someone from the Charles River Wheelmen.

Now is the best (read: cheapest) time to do that.

Charlie Schuessler

I took a peek at the CRW Cue Sheet for the 2005 Spring Century and with my browser it stopped at the 5.9-mile cue....

Where their descriptive summary "slightly rolling rural roads through the Merrimack Valley of northeastern Massachusetts and southern New Hampshire. Our 100 mile ride will take you through Exeter and Hampton Falls, NH. The other routes travel through such towns as Boxford, Groveland and Topsfield. All routes pass through the Harold Parker State Forest" my experience of bicyclking, motorcycling and driving around there count on rolling/hilly conditions...

ctenidae

I've done the NYC Century twice, with absolutely no training beforehand. The first time, I hadn't been on a bike for over 10 years, last time, it had been (obviously) a year. Take-home lesson- don't use "I need to train" as an excuse not to do it, because that's all it is, an excuse.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I'm an excuse monkey.

If you sign up we'd have a team of four. So... get to it.

I may be dumb but I know a long ride is a helluva lot easier with four than with three... or one.

I was a little miserable after my solo century. Of course, I also did that one a 26 lb mountain bike through the hills of western mass (with slicks).

Actually, I'll try and rope my ski buddy into this. He's a very gifted rider. He'll be in for sure.

ctenidae

Heh. My excuse is that I don't have time to do it. It'd be fun, sure, but with school and all, there's just no way. I'll think about it, though.

Charlie Schuessler

Marc said:
...If you sign up we'd have a team of four..so... get to it...I may be dumb but I know a long ride is a helluva lot easier with four than with three... or one...I was a little miserable after my solo century. Of course, I also did that one a 26 lb mountain bike through the hills of western mass (with slicks)...actually, I'll try and rope my ski buddy into this. He's a very gifted rider. He'll be in for sure...
I did my first organized bicycling 50-mile event in the Berkshires of MA on a mountain bike with street tires in a Nor’Easter Storm...talk about miserable...but I loved it! :D

I've ridden a couple 75-mile events in Western-Central VT (MOUNTAINS & VALLEYS - not many rolling hills), many 50-75-mile rides all over NH and the Granite State Wheelman Seacoast Century Ride (MA-NH-ME) mostly solo or two-up and I can't seem to get enough... regarding the Spring Century, I believe 3 or more riders can work well working together (sensibly) or split into pairs meeting up at planned breaks along the route... :idea: there is plenty of time to consider it and train accordingly...

skibum1321

Marc said:
skibum1321 said:
andyzee said:

Now is the best (read: cheapest) time to do that.
I'm going to try and get one from the Iron Horse Pro Deal my school bike team had. I'm also trying to get a new mtn bike through that so if they let me get 2 I'm good to go. Otherwise, there are a couple bike swaps in VT the weekend of May 6, so I'll be up there trying to find something.

Charlie Schuessler

If the weather is fair to good, a group will be MB riding at Massabesic (Auburn-Manchester) on Saturday afternoon...if anyone is interested meeting up with us drop me a PM...

skibum1321

Charlie Schuessler said:
If the weather is fair to good, a group will be MB riding at Massabesic (Auburn-Manchester) on Saturday afternoon...if anyone is interested meeting up with us drop me a PM...
I'd be there if I didn't have to go to my parents' house in RI this weekend.

ctenidae

The New England ride is the same time as the NYC-Montauk Century, which my brother and brother-in-law have already registered for.
Choices, choices...

skibum1321

I've been looking at road bikes on E-Bay and such the past couple of days. Has anyone ever heard of the company Tommaso? There is a bike for $400 there - http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.53/it.A/id.6481/.f. I'm not familiar with road bike components so I really don't know what a good bike is.

I've also been looking at the Cannondale R600 and the Specialized Allez. Has anyone heard any opinions on these bikes? I know Cannondale is supposed to have really good frames and from what I've read about the bike it is a less than stellar components package on a great frame.

Once I acquire my new bike, I'll be signing up for the century. We can get a headcount a little closer to gametime.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
As far as Shimano is concerned, I wouldn't be looking at anything less than 105 for road components. Dura-Ace is their top end stuff and Ultegra is in the middle. Ultegra, from my experience, doesn't employ all the superlight materials but is just as well built as D/A stuff.

It's up to you though. Having a perfectly shifting and performing drive train is one of the most important thigns to me, road and mountain. Frame material is far more important than frame manufacturer as well. Cannondale and Specialized both have very good reputations so I wouldn't be expected any durability issue from either of them (except for the carbon frames, I'd still stay away from those for another couple years).

So compare weight, components and frame material, those are the biggies. I would rather be riding with 2 or 3 year old used Dura/Ace than brand new STI components to give you an idea. This would also be a good time to figure out if you want a double or triple set up. I ride a double myself and don't consider myself all that talented or strong a rider, but I could just as easily see myself using a triple. Keep in mind if you end up with a double and find it uncomfortable or innefficient for you, a compact crank can easily be swapped in.

As far as material goes, luminum is more or less the standard nowadays. Cromo is around too, and will give a more forgiving ride than aluminum, but at a heavier weight. Titanium is a great mixture of lightweight, strength, and damping but can be expensive. I found a great deal on my Lemond Victoire Ti, but you have to keep watch out for good deals. I was in the market for a road bike for almost 6 months before I found one that suited my requirements, including price.

And of course, go to a local bike shop and get fitted. Generally you won't be able to find the deals you will online. Most of the time, this is offest by the service the shop wil provide for a shop bought bike, but since I do all my own maintenance and tuning, I didn't really care what a shop could do for me.

I find my 57 cm fits me perfect, and I'm 6' with an average build. My legs aren't extraordinarily long or short.

If you're looking for a bike that will give you several years of road riding I would consider spending at least $600. If you're looking for something entry level that you expect to only use a couple years and then upgrade if you like it, then the $400 bike you linked to would probably work well.

skibum1321

I went to a bike shop near my apartment last night to get a better idea of what I'm looking for and then did some more research online. They sized me at a 60cm, while the other shop I had gone to said 58cm. The 60 did seem to fit better, so that's what I'm now looking for.

Here are some of the bikes that seem to be pretty good component-wise. It seems like they are all priced around 1100 or more (new) to have 105 and possibly Ultegra.

Bianchi Eros - $1299 (Campognoli Mirage front/rear)
Cannondale R700 - $1250 (105 front/ultegra rear)
Giant OCR1 - $1100 (105 front/rear)
Iron Horse Excelsior Comp (105 front/rear)
Lemond Tourmalet - $1200 (105 front/ultegra rear)
Specialized Allez Elite Triple - $1300 (105 front/rear)
Specialized Allez Elite Double - $1200 (105 front/rear)
Trek 1500 - $1100 (105 front/ultegra rear)

Am I missing any good companies here or are any of these bikes known to suck? I'm trying to have as wide of a range of bikes as possible so I can hopefully find a good deal. The shop had an '05 Trek 1500 but it was only $50 off. Quite honestly, I'm kind of surprised that Trek had Ultegra for that price since they tend to have lesser components than companies such as Giant in the same price range for mtn. bikes. It seems like they mark bikes up to compensate for all the money they pay Lance.

What are some good places that I can look for deals online other than E-Bay? I find that a lot of companies don't allow their bikes to be sold outside of shops (ie Lemond, Giant).

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You've got the major manufacturers there, but there are many, many more, with similar or better quality products. Pinarello, Fuji, KHS, Litespeed, Airborne... there are lots out there. The price range looks pretty good for the stuff you're looking at, for brand new prices. A grand will get you a real solid ride. Like I said, pay attention to frame material keeping in mind the kind of riding you'll mostly be doing. I'm assuming a fair portion of your saddle time will be climbing?

I would probably choose Al over Chromo for this use, but Ti if you can find it. I would take a light wheel set over an aero wheel set for climbing. I lighter fork, and lighter frame over aero, etc. etc. Cassettes are insanely easy to swap and not that expensive, but if you have a choice I'd go with a 12-27 for climbing, especially coming from mtb'ing, like I did, and you're used to insanely low gearing.

Check out www.roadbikereview.com for bikes for sale. A sister site to mtbr I believe.

And yeah, basically since Lance has made such a huge name for Trek, Trek is now charging a lot of money just to have their sticker on your frame. Most of the time not worth it but don't rule them out for any deals you may find. Definitely still a quality product. Good luck with the search.

ctenidae

When I bought my Specialized Hard Rock 14 years ago, I thought the Treks were too short (front to back) for me- I felt like I was sitting straight up banging my knees on the handlebars. Have they extended the frames at all, or are they still short like that?

By the way, that Specialized is still serving well, with my younger brother. In 14 years all it's needed is a new shifter for the rear (Shimano Alivio) and a new left pedal crank (wrapped it around a tree and bent the hell out of the old one). I think it's had one new tire, too (not counting the front replaceent that got stolen, along with the seat).

Based entirely on my experience with that bike, if/when I buy a new one, it'll be a Specialized.