• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Great Road Biking weather

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Never heard of that complaint about Trek's, but I've never ridden a Trek mtn bike. Most manufacturers of road and mountain frames will give the top tube dimension and most are around the same for a certain frame size.

I know GT used to measure their mtb frames from the bottom of the bottom bracket to the top of the seat tube rather than from the bottom of the center bracket like everyone else which made a 17" GT frame just a shade smaller than most other 17" frames.

Remember cten, most seat/seatposts allow for forward/rear adjustment and there are a variety of differnet handle bar stem lenths available as well as different sweep angles on the handlbar itself (for mtb/touring setups, anyway). All of that can add up to several inches which will make a huge difference in the way a bike feels and fits.

That's a tactic some bike shops employ to make a customer look at an unecessarily expensive product. They'll have them try an inexpensive bike that does not fit them and then an expensive one that does, ignoring all along that for less than the price difference, the ill fitting one can be easily customized into a very nicely fitting setup.

That's why the last three bikes I've owned I've either built or customized myself to get something with which I'm comfortable.

skibum1321

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
That does look like a good deal to me, especially if it is in the condition he claims.

I have never worked or used much Campy stuff, but I know Chorus is their second tier stuff (aka, very good, only behind the Record groupo), similar to where Ultegra is in the Shimano road line up, or XT in the mtb line up.

Carbon seat post, cranks... should be an insane light setup. I'd definitely put that bike on your list. Find out though what size it is. Large range is probably anywhere from 58-59 to 64.

skibum1321

So far I've been to a bunch of shops and have found it pretty hard to find bikes in my size. I was on a 59cm Lemond last night that felt pretty good. Tonight I'm going to try out a Giant TCR2. It sounds like it's a pretty good deal. According to the Giant site for my height I should be on a large frame, but it seems like most shops are trying to put me on a bigger frame than that.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
How tall are you skibum?

Do you have average proportions in terms of leg length and torso length or is one half of your body particularly longer than the other?

Most of the time a frame size and can be a good fit with a tolerance of up to plus or minus 2 cm.

Keep in mind you can get different length stems to change the distance from seat to handlebars.

I ride with a guy that's 6'3" and he rides a 62 cm I believe. But his legs are so long, he needs that much height. Otherwise he'd need an extra long seatpost.

He rides a 20" or 21" Ellsworth Id mountain bike and the seatpost has maybe 1 or 2 inches left in the frame.

skibum1321

I'm 6'2" with pretty average proportions. I ride a 20" mtn bike and I have my seat pretty high.

Charlie Schuessler

skibum1321 said:
I've been looking at road bikes on E-Bay and such the past couple of days. Has anyone ever heard of the company Tommaso? There is a bike for $400 there - http://www.rscycle.com/s.nl/sc.7/category.53/it.A/id.6481/.f. I'm not familiar with road bike components so I really don't know what a good bike is.

I've also been looking at the Cannondale R600 and the Specialized Allez. Has anyone heard any opinions on these bikes? I know Cannondale is supposed to have really good frames and from what I've read about the bike it is a less than stellar components package on a great frame.

Once I acquire my new bike, I'll be signing up for the century. We can get a headcount a little closer to gametime.
The Tommasso line is mail-order on-line order brand bike...simple...usually good components but local service for final assembly may be expensive...

The R600 and the Allez bicycles are good bikes...both Cannondale & Specialized do things with bottom brackets and forks that most other manufacturers don't and it is not a bad thing...

Charlie Schuessler

skibum1321 said:
So far I've been to a bunch of shops and have found it pretty hard to find bikes in my size. I was on a 59cm Lemond last night that felt pretty good. Tonight I'm going to try out a Giant TCR2. It sounds like it's a pretty good deal. According to the Giant site for my height I should be on a large frame, but it seems like most shops are trying to put me on a bigger frame than that.

I've found Giant runs thier size indicators smaller than most (59 = Large) where a 59 may be an XL at Raleigh... The TCR2 is a nice bicycle...105 components with the TruVative Elita*Compact 36/50T crank setup, which is the ticket in NH... I believe you'll find this a good value... have the shop set you up with the seat/handlebar height - KOP set back....go with sppedplay pedals, they'll save your knees...

skibum1321

Just bought the '05 TCR2 at ATA Cycle in Concord. I ended up getting sized as an XL and then they are going to swap in a shorter stem for me. They're also going to swap in 105 for the front derailleur. They did more exact measurements than any other shop I had been to. All of the other shops (Cycle Loft, Gooddale's, JRA) just threw me on a bike and eyeballed it. ATA actually took my measurements and plugged them into a program to determine how to fit my bike. They were really helpful and the fitting was free. I pick it up on Sunday and hopefully it's nice and I have time for a ride (although I will probably have a ton of hw).

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Congrats!

Double or triple? And do you know the gearing on the cassette it comes with? What about pedals/shoes?

That's cool that this bike shop was precise, it's nice to see one really concerned about its riders. I know of a couple and they're def. worth knowing. The most important thing is that you're comfortable on it though.

I don't know if you've ever ridden a real road bike before, but it is totally addicting. It is so easy to go soo fast. I think you'll like it-

skibum1321

http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2005&model=11158

It's a double with 105 front and rear. Not sure about the gearing on the cassette - I believe there are 9 gears on the rear. For pedals I'm using my old SPD mtn bike pedals and I'll be using my old mtn shoes as well since I just bought new shoes for mtn. This will be my first real road bike. I road my uncle's 20 year old bike a few summers ago but there were just too many problems with it.

Unfortunately I'm still in the market for a mtn bike now - yes this is a very pricey spring for me. I've been looking at the Iron Horse MKIII Comp or Expert (if I can get a really good deal). The guy at the bike shop said he could get me a good deal on the Giant Trance 2 if I bought it there. I might look into what that deal would be. The Trance 2 is a little better than the MKIII Comp but can't touch the Expert specs. The Giant Maestro suspension design and Iron Horse DW-Link design are supposed to be 2 of the best designs around. This will be my first full suspension bike, as I'm coming from a hardtail.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Every considered building yourself a 29er?

I'm not sure what kind of riding you do, but it sounds like x country mostly if you have a hard tail now.

I've been very impressed with the Ellsworth frames, although they come at a price. The geometry of the suspension design makes such that there's so little suspension movement from pedaling feedback, that lockouts, manual or otherwise, aren't necessary for climbs or sprints.

The thing that really attracts me to Ellsworth is the ability to do this with relatively simple design. As the owner of a GT I-drive frame, I can tell you the one thing you really want in full suspension is simplicity. Maintenance and reliability just becomes a pain in the ass otherwise.

skibum1321

I haven't considered building my own. Considering the fact that I just bought a new road bike, I'm trying to keep my new mtn bike under $2000. I just feel like I'm going to get the most bang for my buck with Iron Horse or Giant.

By the way, I'm definitely in for the century now. I think Charlie said he had already signed up too. Are you in Marc?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yeah, sure. I'll do it. I'll get at least one other to do it as well. Looks like a nice ride. I may be out for my first ride this season sometime this weekend.

Charlie Schuessler

skibum1321 said:
http://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/030.000.000/030.000.006.asp?year=2005&model=11158

It's a double with 105 front and rear. Not sure about the gearing on the cassette - I believe there are 9 gears on the rear. For pedals I'm using my old SPD mtn bike pedals and I'll be using my old mtn shoes as well since I just bought new shoes for mtn. This will be my first real road bike.
CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Nice Bike, double ring vs triple ring is the way to go, I believe you're going to like the drive train...like Marc stated, road cycling is addicting...mixing it up with MTB improves the other's skills...PM me to go for a ride in the Nashua/Hollis/Amherst areas...

Charlie Schuessler

CRW Spring Century

skibum1321 said:
...I'm definitely in for the century now. I think Charlie said he had already signed up too. Are you in Marc?

I'm already registered with CRW and ready to post this ride on the Trip Board...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Went out riding Friday and yesterday. 16 mi on Friday and 23 yesterday. It was balls cold yesterday, 54 when I left and 40 when I got back. And the wind just made things miserable. Damn it was windy. Looking forward to the warmer and longer days when I could fit in a 40 mile ride fairly easily after work.

I need a new chain and to thoroughly clean my drivetrain before I go out again. I lubed it up both rides so now I have a nice ice wax/sand mixture grinding down everything nicely.

I guess I'll hit up the gym today, do chest/shoulders and some time on the recumbent. 1/2 hour or so. Blah. Too warm to ski (down here) and too cold to bike. What crappy weather. If I wasn't so cheap I'd have a trainer already but I still gotta buy the chain and DEF. new water bottle cages. Don't skimp on those. Mine rattle now and are super annoying. Figures, they were super cheap too. Also need a new mini pump. Probably another pair of shorts and a couple new jersies. Also could use a pair of all weather pants and a good cycling jacket/wind breaker.

What a freakin expensive way to beat yourself up, eh?

Anyone else been out riding? Still on the trainer Charlie?

skibum1321

I went out for a quick ride on Sunday to test the new bike. Unfortunately, the night before was a late night followed by an early morning. This all led to me being very tired during the ride, so I cut it short and took a nap instead - yeah I'm lazy. I wanted to go out again yesterday but by the time I got home from work it was already getting dark out so that was a no go. This weekend will be busy and pretty cold, but I'll be getting a ski day in on Friday, which will be nice. Maybe next week after work I'll get some riding in. Mountain biking is a still a while off, although we may totally avoid mud season this year since there is no snow on the ground and it isn't frozen. I still need to get my new mtn bike before that will get going.

I just got my computer in the mail the other day for my new bike and I've been trying to set it up. Boy is that a pain in the you know what.

I could probably use a new pair of shorts as well - I only have mtn bike shorts right now. I don't like the spandex look but I can see the baggies getting uncomfortable after a while. I will also be getting road pedals/shoes at some point. Right now I'm just using my old mtn pedals and shoes.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
You'll notice a big difference between road and mountain shoes. I know I did. Road shoes are way stiffer than mountain shoes are. Expensive, too, unfortunately. I may actually buy a new pair, mine are too big. If you're a big 10 or 11 american, they'd be perfect for you, I need a 9. Let me know.

skibum1321

Marc said:
You'll notice a big difference between road and mountain shoes. I know I did. Road shoes are way stiffer than mountain shoes are. Expensive, too, unfortunately. I may actually buy a new pair, mine are too big. If you're a big 10 or 11 american, they'd be perfect for you, I need a 9. Let me know.
Unfortunately I'm a 12-13 depending on the shoe. I know, I know, I have big feet. Say what you want, but the rumors are true about people with big feet....

They need shoes that are bigger than a 10 or 11.