• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kid's seasonal programs - advice needed

skimom

We are looking into seasonal programs for our kids for next year. They are currently 5 and 7 and are pretty experienced skiers already. Affordability is a plus, but we don't want to be somewhere so small that we're all bored within a few weeks.

Anyone have any reviews, tips, advice regarding seasonal programs in the northeast?

Thanks!!

Vortex

I can say from experience that Loon and Sunday River both have good programs.. Really depends on where you are and if you have lodging or day trip it.

skimom

We are in eastern Mass. We plan to rent somewhere for the season and make the drive north every weekend. We would go as far as Sunday River, but New Hampshire would probably be easiest.

WWF-VT

I make the drive north every weekend the Boston suburbs to Sugarbush where both of my kids are in the Blazers weekend programs. The programs run from 9:30 to 3 PM on Saturdays and Sundays from mid December to late March. Coaching is excellent, kids make new friends and weekends in VT are a great family experience. I am not sure what you are looking at for "affordabilty" as any seasonal program is not inexpensive. You do get a season pass for every child under 12 when you buy an adult pass which saves a few $$. You will get the greatest value and benefit from the programs by making the committment to participating every week.

Vortex

I make the drive north every weekend the Boston suburbs to Sugarbush where both of my kids are in the Blazers weekend programs. The programs run from 9:30 to 3 PM on Saturdays and Sundays from mid December to late March. Coaching is excellent, kids make new friends and weekends in VT are a great family experience. I am not sure what you are looking at for "affordabilty" as any seasonal program is not inexpensive. You do get a season pass for every child under 12 when you buy an adult pass which saves a few $$. You will get the greatest value and benefit from the programs by making the committment to participating every week.

Excellent points above,

. Tthe making friends part helps wth apres ski and get the kids wanting to come every weekend.

I have two in the Junior professional program at Sunday River Around $900 per kid if bought by Oct 15.. Program gives insturction and help teach them to become insturctors. 13 to 16 year old program.

There are free style programs and race teams and many other options They go 8 to 3 both days $1100 range program believe.

. My kids program (junior professional) is 9 to 11 with hour lunch break then 12 to 2 on Sat. Sunday its 9 to 12. I like that so we can leave early afternoon on sunday and not miss anything. If you want more info send a pm.

link to this years program
http://www.sundayriver.com/SkiSchool/Kids_Seasonal.html

skimom

We're definitely interested in Sunday River. We love skiing there, just debating if we want to make the drive every weekend. Has anyone had any experience with Wildcat's program?

boston_e

We're definitely interested in Sunday River. We love skiing there, just debating if we want to make the drive every weekend. Has anyone had any experience with Wildcat's program?

I do not... but is the drive to Wildcat really that much easier?

Will you be coming up from somewhere along the 128 / 95 belt?

Masskier

I went through this same exercise a few years back when my kids were younger. Burke was hands down the best decision for us. 3 hours all highway from Boston. No crowds, didn't have to worry about the kids getting run over. Lots of snow and a real family friendly mountain. But most important were the seasonal programs for kids. In fact the USSA recognize them 2 years ago as the best Junior race program in the country. And their seasonal non race programs are outstanding also.

Last edited:

MikeW

We had both of our kids in the Skier Development Program (Demo) at Mt Snow. It was a great experience for all of us, and it is actually what attracted us to the mountain in the first place. The kids made friends, we made friends. They both went thru the program, then worked as instructors for a few years, and still ski with their friends up here. There is regular Development Program, also Racing and Freestyle. Its been going for quite a while-some of the coaches are teaching the grandchildren of their first students! Highly recommended.