• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Big snow on the way for DC & PA

psyflyer

Sunday monday tuesday northern greens.....any wagers....i think a foot plus.

Local forecatser saying expect accumulation (here on Burke Mt.) but heard nothing concrete on totals. What are you hearing? Im hoping it will pan out and we shall have the whole mountain to ourselves while the flat-landers are off to the rat-races... :snow:

WinnChill

Local forecatser saying expect accumulation (here on Burke Mt.) but heard nothing concrete on totals. What are you hearing? Im hoping it will pan out and we shall have the whole mountain to ourselves while the flat-landers are off to the rat-races... :snow:

May tweak this a bit higher--slow accumlations look decent.

FRITOLAYGUY

When is the last time the midatlantic and i mean the baltimore and DC area had 2 seperate storms in one winter both producing over 24 inches of snow?

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Sunday monday tuesday northern greens.....any wagers....i think a foot plus.

I hadn't heard anything. Just lived here for a decade and have paid close attention to storms. My own prognostications told me that a monster storm just missing us to the south means wrap around snow totals for the northern green Mtns....just like the last storm....Snowing in the mtns all day today...by tuesday a foot will have fallen.....we are blessed with unforcast goodness, collective virtue.

WinnChill

You're right JD...these storms have stalled and backed in on us from the northeast giving us the upslope flow from the north helping northern VT/NH resorts quite a bit. I've had this up for a few days now...just tweaked them up an inch or two this morning....still watching Wed's storm though...we'll see.

JD

Website
hotmail.com
Noaa had 30 percent chance of snow....to me that meant it will snow in the highest 30 percent of northern vermont.
:)

WinnChill

Noaa had 30 percent chance of snow....to me that meant it will snow in the highest 30 percent of northern vermont.
:)

It's mostly an areal coverage thing (plus chance of measurable precip, confidence and accuracy)...but I do account for the higher elevations (summits) having a higher chance of snow when it's elevation base (less of a chance for actual reporting NOAA stations at lower elevations, especially with virga). It's almost a given with wraparound snow showers for these particular areas, even when radar has a tough time picking it up.

But I'm shutting the radar down for the Super Bowl!

Cheers!

Peabody

I keep hearing theres gonna be a big storm by me on Wednesday but the last storm the predicted never came so we shall see

GolfingOwl

There is already talk that Wednesday's storm may push Philly to an all-time record for snowfall. Snowfall this winter already puts us at 2nd all-time. First time we have ever seen 2+ feet twice in one winter.

Unfortunately, even the Poconos haven't benefited - everything too far south. Love getting white stuff down here but wish it would at least hit the PA mountains and swing up to the NE resorts.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
There is already talk that Wednesday's storm may push Philly to an all-time record for snowfall. Snowfall this winter already puts us at 2nd all-time. First time we have ever seen 2+ feet twice in one winter.

Unfortunately, even the Poconos haven't benefited - everything too far south. Love getting white stuff down here but wish it would at least hit the PA mountains and swing up to the NE resorts.
Oh really? I remember skiing 6"-8" of powder on Saturday.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Rub it in Root:smash: Unfortunately he's right about most of the Pocono's. Hopefully our day will come.:snow:

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I'm planning more powder for Wednesday. Worried more about the roads on the ride home for this one though.

bigbog

They say Bigggg Snowww is on the way down here.

We'll see... :snow: :snow: :snow:
Ya' know, all anyone talks about...when it comes to high-speed rail, is the payoffs in the city-to-city lines, not the country-to-cities links that would make employment around the cites possible for lots of us beyond "easy commuting distancees", not to mention the potential to ski "down south"...whenever it comes that way...LIKE NOW!.
Congress = 8-letter word for a**holes.

drjeff

Looks like we get the goods this time too. I am getting worried about the crowds this weekend. Hopefully will ski tomorrow and Friday before the crush.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

With Pres weekend up coming and a all the metropolitan snow events happening, and the forcast of good weather this weekend, I'd bet that they'll be lots of reports of record crowds this weekend :eek:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
With Pres weekend up coming and a all the metropolitan snow events happening, and the forcast of good weather this weekend, I'd bet that they'll be lots of reports of record crowds this weekend :eek:

Yepper. With a sunny weekend ahead and temps in the hi 20s, the resorts are going to need dump trucks to haul off all the cash they will take in. That's why I'm itching to get out on Thursday.

4aprice

For the first time this year I'll probably make it a point to hit first tracks from 7:30 - 8:30 which is only available to pass holders. I know it means the end is approaching but I'm looking forward to the usual drop off after next week when the crowds become a distant memory.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ