• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 12/28/03 PM skiing

teachski

Website
teachski.com
Date(s) Skied: 12/28/03

Resort or Ski Area: Wachusett Mountain Ski Area

Conditions: AWESOME Loose granular, almost powdery in nature.

Trip Report:
I had no intentions of skiing tonight after the warm weather we had last week and all of the rain, not to mention the holiday weekend crowds. I thought it would be wise and wait til later in the week so they would be able to make snow. Since I have a Century Pass to Wachusett and don't have to go back to work until January 5th, I figured I'd have time. Besides, getting out of work at 2 and the easy drive from my house will allow for midweek night skiing the whole season.
This afternoon as I sat playing a sim game on my computer the phone rang. I picked it up and there was the cute little voice of my 6 year old great niece asking me to join them for some skiing. I couldn't resist. I packed my geer and went to pick up my 11 year old neice (as requested by the 6 year old) and headed for the mountain. There we met up with my older neice (almost my age) and her two boys (9 and 7) and her little girl (6).
Up the beginner's chair we rode. I figured with the little ones that this was probably where we would spend most of the time. At first the two younger ones were quite challenging. The older two grew antsy, so we sent them, armed with a radio, over to the lower HSQ to ski Ralph's Run, Hitchcock and Challenger.
My great niece ( the 6 yr old) was adopted by my neice and her husband in the fall of 2002. She CRAVES all the attention she can get and will do things to get it, though she is getting better. At first she would fall every 20 ft or so, the wait for me, or her mother to go to pick her up. I quickly caught on to this and said, "well, if you keep falling like this and can't get up on your own then we will just have to call daddy to come and get you." ( I knew she has skied last year, Jay, Wachusett, and Burke I think, so I knew she was able to do so) She quickly stopped the act.
My great nephew (the 7 year old) is not terrifically athletic and has had some physical deficits. He also suffers from the douding(sp) mother syndrome. He is a little timid when it comes to new things and when it comes to doing things he has not done in a while, so it took him a while to get back in the swing of things.
After a couple runs on the beginners chair we ventured off to meet the others and skied on the lower Quad for most of the rest of the night. At the end we went to the summit and came down Conifer. It turned out to be a really fun night. After they left, the 11 year old and I took a few more runs before we came home.
The conditions were AWESOME!!!!! There were a few places where the snowboards had scraped it away, but over all, it was primarily a powdery loose granular snow.

O

oldhippie

Thanks!

Good report Laurie! Nice to hear about the family side of the adventure too.

It sounds like the base is holding up, despite the warm weather.