• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

bheemsoth

If we get dumped on here in CT tomorrow, will Sundown still do their evening grooming? I'd love for the chance to ski some pow at Sundown, but would be hesitant to risk the trip if it's going to be groomed.

Greg

Staff member
If we get dumped on here in CT tomorrow, will Sundown still do their evening grooming? I'd love for the chance to ski some pow at Sundown, but would be hesitant to risk the trip if it's going to be groomed.

Sundown usually leaves powder alone. They might groom Tom's and some other trails, but I doubt we'd see any grooming on Gunbarrel.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
An email from Stop & Shop: (sorry - pictures didn't come thru)
Please know that we'll be here to help you and your family in any way we can, through bad weather and at all times.

Be safe,

Your Stop & Shop Team

Dear Stop & Shop Team,

Please help me. I am too fearful to leave the house now. I need eight gallons of milk, and twelve loaves of bread. Please deliver them as quickly as you can, as I am close to death. When you arrive, please shovel the driveway and walk. I will also need a ride to church on Sunday, and a ride to bingo on Friday.

I understand that I might lose power. I would appreciate if you would loan me a generator. Can you please have it here by 6pm?

Oh and my dog needs to get outside , but it is too frightful, so please come by tomorrow morning and walk him.

I'm almost out of cash, since it's too difficult to get to the bank, so I'd appreciate a $100 advance to hold me over in this time of crisis.

Thank you. I am here for you as you are for me in these troubled time.

Sincerely,

A faithful customer

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
StormTotalSnowFcst.png

4aprice

Right now, the fall off between jackpot and not much is pretty dramatic, where over 50 to 75 miles of Latitude, you could see one place with 15"+ and 75 miles North of there only 3 or 4"

That is the gods honest truth Dr Jeff, take it from me. Last Saturday Root was enjoying 6-8 inches of powder at Blue Mountain while just 15 miles to his northeast we got a 1/2" coating at Camelback.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

ZYDECORICH

Dear Stop & Shop Team,

Please help me. I am too fearful to leave the house now. I need eight gallons of milk, and twelve loaves of bread. Please deliver them as quickly as you can, as I am close to death. When you arrive, please shovel the driveway and walk. I will also need a ride to church on Sunday, and a ride to bingo on Friday.

I understand that I might lose power. I would appreciate if you would loan me a generator. Can you please have it here by 6pm?

Oh and my dog needs to get outside , but it is too frightful, so please come by tomorrow morning and walk him.

I'm almost out of cash, since it's too difficult to get to the bank, so I'd appreciate a $100 advance to hold me over in this time of crisis.

Thank you. I am here for you as you are for me in these troubled time.

Sincerely,

A faithful customer

how accommodating they are! i think your being resonable bill...very funny.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Life as we know it is coming to an end! We are in the 5" forecast range. The company fitness center issued this alert: [FONT=&quot]

"Due to the impending snowstorm for tomorrow, I have decided to cancel tomorrow's Yoga class from 11:30-12:15 as well as Massage therapy. "

Maybe she's taking a powder day????

[/FONT]

Greg

Staff member
I'll gladly take 8" at the mighty Sundown.

Glenn

An email from Stop & Shop: (sorry - pictures didn't come thru)

A winter storm has been forecast for your area. Get your supplies.

Make sure your home is well-supplied before the storm hits.

Severe weather has been forecast for our region. To help you prepare, we've put together a Storm Readiness Checklist. It's based on recommendations from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA), and it includes vital items you should have on hand in case your home loses power or travel conditions become hazardous.

Click here to view and print your checklist now.

Please know that we'll be here to help you and your family in any way we can, through bad weather and at all times.

Be safe,

Your Stop & Shop Team

P.S. You can learn more about bad-weather preparedness at FEMA's website:
http://www.fema.gov.

That's too funny! I had no idea they did that! I bet they stocked up on bread and milk.

Super Wal-Mart in Wallingford was fairly quiet after work. I was actually able to get everything on my list...even some extra hand warmers to bring up north this weekend.

I did LOL when I ran to the bank today though...the gas station was pretty busy!

drjeff

I'll gladly take 8" at the mighty Sundown.

Up that number a bit with what the latest models are showing! Starting to look like the area from basically NYC North to about the Mass Pike and East to Boston is going to be the winner, and with the likely total melted precip amounts approaching 2", with anything resembling a drier snow, much of CT will be getting ateast a foot with a few places likely getting into the 18-24" range :) if the storm keeps trending like it appears to.

Greg

Staff member
Up that number a bit with what the latest models are showing! Starting to look like the area from basically NYC North to about the Mass Pike and East to Boston is going to be the winner, and with the likely total melted precip amounts approaching 2", with anything resembling a drier snow, much of CT will be getting ateast a foot with a few places likely getting into the 18-24" range :) if the storm keeps trending like it appears to.

I'll gladly take 18-24" at the mighty Sundown.

drjeff

I'll gladly take 18-24" at the mighty Sundown.

Sounds better. Right now, my guess is out here in the Eastern part of CT is the most likely to get above 18", the mighty Sundown could very well end up in the 10-18" range. The really good thing, is the part of the storm coming up the coast that will merge with the part coming out of the Great Lakes area seems to early on have a bunch more energy than originally thought as evidenced by an impressive line of Thunderstorms setting up over NC/SC now! The more energy that part brings to the table when the two merge, the bigger the potential of this storm!

Going to be fun to watch this storm really start developing over the next 8 to 12 hours! As of now, though looking good for CT! :snow:

Greg

Staff member
Yep. Albany is calling for 4-8" in SoVT:

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION OF 3 TO 6 INCHES IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE
GREATER CAPITAL REGION...AND THE MOHAWK AND SCHOHARIE VALLEYS.
SNOW ACCUMULATION OF 4 TO 8 INCHES IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE HIGHER
TERRAIN OF THE HELDERBERGS AND NORTHERN TACONICS...AS WELL AS
ACROSS SOUTHERN VERMONT.

Euler

This is also up now from the 12:30 ish update of the forecast discussion out of Albany

LATEST MODEL GUIDANCE ROLLING IN SHOWS HIGHER QPF FOR UPCOMING
EVENT ACROSS THE CWA...ESP THE 12 UTC NAM WHICH NOW SHOWS CLOSE TO
0.70 INCHES LIQUID AT KALB. AM CURRENTLY EVALUATING THIS LATEST
GUIDANCE AND WILL BE ADDRESSING HEADLINES...INCLUDING WARNINGS AND
ADVISORIES.

!:snow::snow::snow:Please give is some snow up here in VT!!!:snow::snow::snow: