• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

Euler

Feeling better by the minute!
This from the 1:56PM NWS update from Albany:
HAVE JUST UPGRADED THE WINTER STORM WATCH TO A WINTER STORM WARNING
FOR THE SOUTHERN COUNTIES /ULSTER...DUTCHESS...AND LITCHFIELD/...AND
HAVE ALSO INCLUDED GREENE...COLUMBIA...AND BERKSHIRE IN THE
WARNING AS WELL...WITH A GENERAL 6-12 INCHES OF SNOW
EXPECTED...WITH UP TO 16 INCHES IN THE LITCHFIELD HILLS.

...IN ADDITION...HAVE ISSUED A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY FOR THE
GREATER CAPITAL REGION...SOUTHERN VERMONT...AND THE MOHAWK AND
SCHOHARIE VALLEYS FOR A GENERAL 3-6 INCH SNOWFALL /WITH LOCALLY UP
TO 8 INCHES/.

I've got vacation days Thursday and Friday so it might be Mount Snow Thursday and Friday and Berkshire East on Saturday?? My fingers are crossed!!

Glenn

Sweet! 4-8" of snow would be a really good thing for southern VT! Not only would it help the ski areas...but also the sled trails and nordic centers. It would be a really good boost before the holiday weekend!

I just realized we're getting a crapload of snow in CT..and all my gear is in VT! LMAO! Oh the irony.

WJenness

Sweet! 4-8" of snow would be a really good thing for southern VT! Not only would it help the ski areas...but also the sled trails and nordic centers. It would be a really good boost before the holiday weekend!

I just realized we're getting a crapload of snow in CT..and all my gear is in VT! LMAO! Oh the irony.

Yep, Same here... going to have to skip the WaWa powder day/night tomorrow as my stuff is in Maine.

Oh well.

-w

Glenn

Yep, Same here... going to have to skip the WaWa powder day/night tomorrow as my stuff is in Maine.

Oh well.

-w

All my snow toys are in VT...quad, snowshoes, x country skis. Still have the Jeep though. That'll do. Although...my buddy does have a quad....AND a sled. I may have to give him a call.....I hope he has an extra helmet...my riding gear is in VT. Man, irony is kicking my arse today! :p

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
Hmm, might have to use my free voucher for twilight @ Jiminy Peak tomorrow!

SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION OF 6 TO 12 INCHES IS EXPECTED ACROSS THE CENTRAL CATSKILLS... MID HUDSON VALLEY OF GREENE AND COLUMBIA COUNTIES... THE CENTRAL TACONICS... AND THE BERKSHIRES.

Last edited:

4aprice

Hmm, another HUGE waste of snow. The mid-atlantic states are preparing for another dumping, and while I was cutting down some trees today, I saw my first mosquito of the year. Booooooo

John, John, John: I have a hard time believing the north country will get screwed forever this year. Climo is too much in your favor. I believe you will get yours and I'll be rooting for you. Keep the faith.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Two really big storms...

inmsirus_.gif

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hmm, another HUGE waste of snow. The mid-atlantic states are preparing for another dumping, and while I was cutting down some trees today, I saw my first mosquito of the year. Booooooo

Take a little drive and stop by one of those hills around of I89 Vermont. They've been seeing a couple inches a day or more for the past two weeks. We don't need a dump to be happy. two inches a day for a week = you get the idea...

Since Feb 1, here are the daily readings from rsn, just to make a point:
7-3-0-4-5-0-0-6-1
4-1-0-6-5-0-0-0-0
9-2-0-10-2-2-1-11-5
16-1-1-4-2-0-1-4-0
3-0-0-6-6-0-0-1-0

4aprice

Two really big storms...

inmsirus_.gif

Root:

I like you was thinking about skiing tomorrow but they say the winds could be really bad. I'm wondering if the mountains will even be open. They shut the quads at CBK at 35 mph sustained winds. I have no idea about the fixed grips. Might be worth checking before hitting the road tomorrow. Thursday morning I going for sure.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Root:

I like you was thinking about skiing tomorrow but they say the winds could be really bad. I'm wondering if the mountains will even be open. They shut the quads at CBK at 35 mph sustained winds. I have no idea about the fixed grips. Might be worth checking before hitting the road tomorrow. Thursday morning I going for sure.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I've been reading reports on PASR about the HSQ's closing due to winds, while Blue's lifts have stayed open. There's always the Main Street chair, but that cuts off the best runs.

drjeff

Two really big storms...

inmsirus_.gif

The thing I LOVE about that radar image for snow potential, is the Southern Storm (since they haven't merged yet) so far is stronger than many were thinking it would be (just check out that line of t-storms in the Carolinas!), so when they merge, there's going to likely be a bit more energy than originally thought! :snow: :snow: :snow: :snow: