• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

Greg

Staff member
Don't be too quick to call "bust"....just look at radar.

I have been. Every band seems to be breaking up as soon as it gets to central CT. Even the stuff in the sound looks unimpressive. Each band that has some potential is followed by light or no snow. Considering it's 33 degrees and it just melts. A foot is no way happening. 6" looks bleak.

drjeff

Finally starting to ramp up in NE CT right now. Got the driveway covered, and I've also noticed the flakes increasing in size in the last 30 min :)

As WinnChill has said, the bulk of the moisture and SNOW associated with the storm is going be be later afternoon and evening. We're still just getting the "appetizer" right now of this 3 to 4 course meal! :)

WinnChill

I have been. Every band seems to be breaking up as soon as it gets to central CT. Even the stuff in the sound looks unimpressive. Each band that has some potential is followed by light or no snow. Considering it's 33 degrees and it just melts. A foot is no way happening. 6" looks bleak.

Patience grasshopper! It's only 130. :)

WinnChill

So are you saying that 6-12"+ is still a valid accum forecast for my area?

The range looks pretty good--can't argue with that (NWS and one MA station I looked at briefly). Mostly at or just above half a foot by this evening...there may be some heavier pockets/banding so the 10 or 12" range ought to cover it ok.

Greg

Staff member
The range looks pretty good--can't argue with that (NWS and one MA station I looked at briefly). Mostly at or just above half a foot by this evening...there may be some heavier pockets/banding so the 10 or 12" range ought to cover it ok.

Hope you and the NWS are right:

Winter Storm Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ALBANY NY
1210 PM EST WED FEB 10 2010

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST
THURSDAY...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1 AM EST THURSDAY.

TOTAL SNOWFALL ACCUMULATION OF 5 TO 10 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS
THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHEASTERN CATSKILLS...THE MID HUDSON VALLEY OF
ULSTER AND DUTCHESS COUNTIES... THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN
TACONICS...THE SOUTHERN BERKSHIRES...AND THE LITCHFIELD HILLS. HIGHER
AMOUNTS OF 6 TO 12 INCHES ARE EXPECTED ACROSS FAR SOUTHEASTERN
LITCHFIELD COUNTY
AND EXTREME SOUTHERN DUTCHESS COUNTY.

WJenness

Just looked at the Mighty Yawgoo Valley (www.yawgoo.com) website to see what they were saying about the storm.

I was surprised to read: "Closed today due to the storm and the possibility of power outage."

A Ski Area? Closed during a snow storm?... Weak sauce.

-w

wa-loaf

Just looked at the Mighty Yawgoo Valley (www.yawgoo.com) website to see what they were saying about the storm.

I was surprised to read: "Closed today due to the storm and the possibility of power outage."

-w

Yea, Ski Ward said they are closing at 5. WTF?

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Guys, be patient. This is and has always been advertised as a PM/eve storm...the thing is just barely getting spun up. Don't be too quick to call "bust" before the darned thing even gets started! Just look at radar.

I don't know where you are, but here in southern Worcester county/NE CT, most schools canceled for the day; so obviously not everyone has always been advertising this as a late afternoon/evening storm.

ZYDECORICH

About 6 here and just beginning to wind up from the looks of the maps. you guys up in CT/RI/VT should be getting more rocked by 6pm. Hey BillSki! where's that great snow amounts map you always have...can i have the link ..please!!!!

Greg

Staff member
Mostly at or just above half a foot by this evening...

What's evening? Sunset? Cuz if so I have less than 3 hours to get 6". So far I have some snowflakes between the grass blades. Pavement is just wet. Again, it's melting faster than it's falling for the most part. I assume it will improve once the sun goes down.

WinnChill

Well, as far as the heavy snow, it was PM. Don't know why MA called the whole day off--maybe an early release. Yes, for CT and southwestern MA, morning snow was in the cards. My remark was meant for northern MA viewers.

Beetlenut

-w
The Mighty Goo IS weak sauce!

Not that much now snow down here yet. About 4 inches now and coming down at a good rate with high winds.

WinnChill

What's evening? Sunset? Cuz if so I have less than 3 hours to get 6". So far I have some snowflakes between the grass blades. Pavement is just wet. Again, it's melting faster than it's falling for the most part. I assume it will improve once the sun goes down.

For, by the end, during, into this evening....whatever phrase you want...means going past this afternoon. I consider evening 6pm-12...if you're putting a stopwatch to it.

tequiladoug

Website
www.douglas1.com
LAME

iws0_430.jpg

wa-loaf

My office has an email chain going around because everyone worked at home today. Mostly rain on the south shore (Duxbury, Plymouth), flurries in Boston, not much happening north of Boston and I have close to an inch with moderate snow fall.