• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2/10 Storm Discussion Thread

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Hope I'm not jinxing anything. I've never actually started a thread like this.

If there was every any doubt that the NWS weather nerds LIVE for winter storms, take a look at the forecast discussion out of Albany this morning. Focus on long term at the bottom:

http://forecast.weather.gov/product...&format=CI&version=1&glossary=1&highlight=off

Or read excerpts I posted on Harvey Road:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2009/12/nws-update-excerpts.html

Also I feel a little slutty but I posted this from Accuweather:

http://harvey44.blogspot.com/2010/02/accuweather.html

Can't ... resist ....

BRING IT!!

:snow::snow::snow:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The models see it staying south:

...BUT (Models) TRENDING SOUTH FROM THE PREVIOUS MODEL RUN AND TOWARD THE
CONSENSUS. THE CURRENT RANGE OF SOLUTIONS WOULD BRING SNOW TO AT LEAST
MASS PIKE SOUTH AND VERY POSSIBLY TO ALL SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND. FOR
THIS FORECAST THE BEST CHANCES OF PRECIP WILL BE SOUTH OF THE MASS
PIKE.

WinnChill

Yeah--watching the trend. A few models are still pretty close. It's very similar to what we just saw yesterday, however, the upper low to the northeast will be slightly further west this time around....that's what will help bring the storm closer to us. Will it be enough?...hard to say right now.

wa-loaf

Yeah--watching the trend. A few models are still pretty close. It's very similar to what we just saw yesterday, however, the upper low to the northeast will be slightly further west this time around....that's what will help bring the storm closer to us. Will it be enough?...hard to say right now.

Hopefully at least a stormy pattern will continue and eventually push their way NE.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
If this one dumps on me here in downtown NJ, I'll never post a thread like this again. Promise.

My wife is convinced that the snow dance we asked our 3 year old to do NEVER should have been done DOWN HERE.

Think snow. Think NORTHERN snow.

:snow::snow::snow:

WinnChill

Hopefully at least a stormy pattern will continue and eventually push their way NE.

Not too sure about that right now. We actually look continued cold after midweek with low pressure stalling close by. The problem with that is that it shifts the storm track around us and out to sea (like DrJeff's analogy of the wheel--the hub will be too close to us with the perimeter storm track further out). Northern resorts like Smuggs/Stowe/Jay/Cannon/Bretton W./SL/SR will add up slow accumulations so they look to make out the best in the upcoming pattern.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Not too sure about that right now. We actually look continued cold after midweek with low pressure stalling close by. The problem with that is that it shifts the storm track around us and out to sea (like DrJeff's analogy of the wheel--the hub will be too close to us with the perimeter storm track further out). Northern resorts like Smuggs/Stowe/Jay/Cannon/Bretton W./SL/SR will add up slow accumulations so they look to make out the best in the upcoming pattern.

I'll trade ya February for an awesome March and April. :cool:

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Blue Mountain is already under a Winter Storm Watch

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MOUNT HOLLY NJ
345 AM EST MON FEB 8 2010

...THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR ANOTHER MAJOR WINTER STORM TO AFFECT
OUR AREA FROM LATE TUESDAY INTO WEDNESDAY EVENING...

.AN EXPLOSIVELY DEVELOPING NOR/EASTER MAY BRING HEAVY SNOW TO MUCH
OF OUR AREA STARTING LATE TUESDAY AND TUESDAY EVENING AND
PERSISTING THROUGH WEDNESDAY.

Sounds like Blue is gonna be the place to be Wednesday.

Glenn

While I'd love a good storm in CT, I'm hoping this hits southern VT. They need some snow there..badly. In town, it looks like a mid March snowpack.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
This thread needs some pics

iws0_430.jpg

iws2_430.jpg

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I *heart* these words:

:spread: AN EXPLOSIVELY DEVELOPING NOR/EASTER :spread:

Is "immobilizing" and new meteorology term? This year seems to be the first.
I think it only applies to urban areas. I can't imagine anything like this immobilizing let's say, Maine.

4aprice

This thread needs some pics

iws0_430.jpg

iws2_430.jpg

Maybe Camelback can get in on this one. The cut off for this last one was amazing. Blue 6", Camelback a coating. You can see the back of Camelback from Blue.

On a side note I expect the crowds (especially if we get snow) to be almost intolerable this coming weekend. From Roots TR pictures it looks like Blue got pretty slammed this past weekend. CBK was busy but not overrun. Wind holds on the quads made Sunday AM not so much fun but the afternoon was ok. I don't know about Blue this season but the winds have been more of issue at Camelback this year then I've ever seen before.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well, I've just blocked off Thursday as a powder day (and/or a crowd-avoidance plan) somewhere. I'm really hoping it gets as far north as Thunderbolt. The race is in jeopardy without more snow. Hoping it hits as far north as Magic. SVT sure could use it.
Two more pair of snowblades, wet wax, some leather boots and old campaign signs will be offered to Ullr tonight. Please don't call the fire dept. this time ;)

gmcunni

this sucks.. if my flight is screwed on Thursday i am going to be VERY pissed! i love snow but why does the one REAL storm have to mess with MY plans!

hoping for a late shift to the north and a rain event in souther new england and NYC area.

RootDKJ

Website
phresheez.com
Maybe Camelback can get in on this one. The cut off for this last one was amazing. Blue 6", Camelback a coating. You can see the back of Camelback from Blue.

On a side note I expect the crowds (especially if we get snow) to be almost intolerable this coming weekend. From Roots TR pictures it looks like Blue got pretty slammed this past weekend. CBK was busy but not overrun. Wind holds on the quads made Sunday AM not so much fun but the afternoon was ok. I don't know about Blue this season but the winds have been more of issue at Camelback this year then I've ever seen before.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Blue was insanely busy yesterday. I'm looking at taking off Wednesday off. Thursday might be tight for me.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
hoping for a late shift to the north and a rain event in souther new england and NYC area.

You're not gonna make many friends on this board with statements like that! :lol:

I assume your trip is non-ski related. Can you get stranded somewhere that you can go skiing, like a connecting flight through Denver, or Manchester NH? ';)