• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

How much would you pay for 2 hours of skiing at small local hill?

jaywbigred

So given the snow, I'm pondering a weeknight swing by Camelback. I won't get there until 7 pm at the earliest, and they shut down the lifts/lights at 9, so I'll be driving as much as skiing.

Not sure its worth it.

drjeff

Fresh snow, and a couple of high speed quads like camelback has which will let you get a bunch of runs in during those couple of hours. I swipe the Visa card for $35 or so for that and not think twice about it.

jaywbigred

Hmm, I think I can get it for $26, perhaps even $20...if I knew for sure there would be no traffic...

Right now, I'm leaning towards goin'....

hammer

I paid $130 for a 5-pack of tickets at Nashoba (~20 minutes away) for night skiing...with just over 200' of vertical I can only get a few hours in before it gets real old, but for $26 per trip it's worth it.

Last edited:

campgottagopee

Fresh snow, and a couple of high speed quads like camelback has which will let you get a bunch of runs in during those couple of hours. I swipe the Visa card for $35 or so for that and not think twice about it.

This ^^^^^^

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd pay $35 for powder. $25 for decent bumps. Absent of either of those criteria, I probably wouldn't bother going. I can understand making night turns for pass holders who live nearby when conditions aren't optimum. Wish I had a decent option under an hour from me.

dmc

So given the snow, I'm pondering a weeknight swing by Camelback. I won't get there until 7 pm at the earliest, and they shut down the lifts/lights at 9, so I'll be driving as much as skiing.

Not sure its worth it.

It's not... Think about it... Do you think there will be ANY snow left after a full day of Holiday traffic at an already busy area?

skizilla

Sundown

I think sundown charges 31, I could be mistaken. I pay it but i think it is a bit much especially considering what ticket nazis they are. They watch tickets at the lifts like a hawk, a disadvantage to powder ridge going out of business is less competition to keep ticket prices there reasonable. 26 would seem like a good price to me. There has been no expansion or infrastructure improvement there in years to my knowledge. Maybe they upgraded the snow making but I hope they expand like I have heard rumor of.

4aprice

Skiied Camelback today. Plenty of snow, mountain in good shape. Crowds weren't too bad today but people were piling in when I left at 3. This weekend look to be very busy. Was thinking of doing Blue tomorrow but a lot of schools here in Jersey have tomorrow off so I think I'll shove it off to another Friday down the line.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

jaywbigred

Ok, I got back about 45 minutes ago. I paid $26. It was okay...there were a decent # of people there. No "lines" per se, but it was not ski on.

Speaking of lines, Asp was bumped up. From the parking lot it looked delicious. It was not. There were no good lines to be found anywhere. I skied the damn thing ~14 times or so, tried every side of every section. Bumps yes. Lines where you could get into a rhythm? No. Best you could do was skier's right the for the first 3/4, then middle for last 1/4. There was also a very weird big hump/hill at the end into a riveted trough that also happened to be in the dark. Have to cut left to avoid it.

Another thing, the light was sub-optimal. They really need a set of lights on both sides of that trail (or, I would guess, most mogul trails). Some of the deepest troughs on the funkiest moguls were in the dark. I fell twice as a result.

I only skied Lower Cleopatra once. Maybe all the new snow filled in the lines on these small seeded bumps, or maybe they weren't that well formed to begin with...don't know, but there wasn't much to them. They were certainly not as good as they were for the second half of last season. Maybe they will improve, dunno.

Had some fun doing 180s in the little terrain park. Skied Upper Cleo and it was in decent shape with skier traffic bumps abounding. Skied the Hump which was actually the iciest trail I've skied anywhere this year. Shocking for the day after a 10-14 inch storm, but I guess the combo of its condition before the snow + skier traffic + the strong wind that was kicking up the last hour or so did it in. Rocket was the only other trail I skied and it was in much better shape.

All in all, I had fun, but without some reports of some bump lines worth their salt, I'll be holding off on going back for awhile, unless I feel like carving.

I snapped a couple photos that I will post tomorrow if I have time.

dmc

Shocking for the day after a 10-14 inch storm, but I guess the combo of its condition before the snow + skier traffic + the strong wind that was kicking up the last hour or so did it in.

It's the curse of the lower east... Stuff just gets tracked out quickly... Especially at a place like C'back...

Tried to warn ya... :)

Glad you had a good time...

jaywbigred

You WERE right DMC....but I was already gone by the time you posted.

Oh well, if nothing else, I got some conditioning out of it, got to night ski for the first time in years, and got to add a day to my count...

dmc

You WERE right DMC....but I was already gone by the time you posted.

Oh well, if nothing else, I got some conditioning out of it, got to night ski for the first time in years, and got to add a day to my count...

Got some fresh air - nothing wrong with that..... :)

Does a night count as a day? ;)