• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Luge athlete dies during Olympic training

jaja111

The vid is Horrific. Absolutely horrific.

What does the Georgian team do? Stay? Leave? They must be in a total state of shock. This is so sad. Not a good way to start the games at all I'm afraid.

That course is so fast that real time vids of practice runs look edited to speed them up. 100+ mph is a very real possibility on this thing. I guess a female luger almost hit a ton and crashed yesterday too.

RIP Nodar - you died doing what you loved.

wa-loaf

Who's idea was it too put all those steel beams right after the curve?

drjeff

Who's idea was it too put all those steel beams right after the curve?

No one probably ever thought that headed into the finish slow down area that someone could get airborne in that area. My guess is at minimum when the comp starts tommorrow, you'll see the equivalent of the A-netting that you see lining a downhill race course in that area to atleast keep someone in the track.

RIP - just a horrific crash :eek:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The vid is Horrific. Absolutely horrific.

What does the Georgian team do? Stay? Leave? They must be in a total state of shock. This is so sad. Not a good way to start the games at all I'm afraid.

they will compete, in his memory. Having taken a ride on an olympic bobsled course, luge strikes me as one of the most dangerous of sports. Huge respect for those who compete. Big sympathies to the family, team and country.

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
There's an expert, Chris Whiteman, on right now who just said "crashing is just part of the sport." They said the dude who died hit 90mph. :eek: Scary and very sad indeed.

koreshot

Yes, really really sad. Having something like this happen to an Olympic athlete, or any athlete, is just so wrong. Me being Georgian only adds more to my sadness and, to be honest, frustration.

We are a tiny country with limited resources and I have been to the poor town where Nodar lived. Given the resources availble to him being 44 in the world is pretty impressive and I can only guess how much pride and honor he felt to be there representing his country.

What frustrates me is some folks trying to say that it was "pilot error", that it wouldn't happen to the top athletes cause they have more experience. First, Nodar ranked 11th during training so he wasn't completely green. Second, its the Olympics and you are going to have athletes show up from small underfunded countries who won't be as experienced as your usual world champion luger -- you are supposed to expect that and plan for it. When you spend millions and millions of dollars on the world's fastest track, is an extra 10 grand on extending the wall and shielding the steel beams really that much extra? It seems to me that an oversight in design is being blamed on the athelete by some.

But others, including many fellow athletes have said that the course is too dangerous. So I really really hope that they fix it by this evening when the competition runs start.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
There's an expert, Chris Whiteman, on right now who just said "crashing is just part of the sport." They said the dude who died hit 90mph. :eek: Scary and very sad indeed.

This is a sport where your body is entirely exposed and vulnerable. Like skiing and boarding but with a whole lot less control

Rambo

So sad.

Sorry to get off subject, but a bear was checking out the Vancouver Luge track
(I thought they hibernated in the winter)

Glenn

That was a tough start to the games. I was kinda surprised NBC showed it on Friday night. I really felt for the family.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Yes, really really sad. Having something like this happen to an Olympic athlete, or any athlete, is just so wrong. Me being Georgian only adds more to my sadness and, to be honest, frustration.

We are a tiny country with limited resources and I have been to the poor town where Nodar lived. Given the resources availble to him being 44 in the world is pretty impressive and I can only guess how much pride and honor he felt to be there representing his country.

What frustrates me is some folks trying to say that it was "pilot error", that it wouldn't happen to the top athletes cause they have more experience. First, Nodar ranked 11th during training so he wasn't completely green. Second, its the Olympics and you are going to have athletes show up from small underfunded countries who won't be as experienced as your usual world champion luger -- you are supposed to expect that and plan for it. When you spend millions and millions of dollars on the world's fastest track, is an extra 10 grand on extending the wall and shielding the steel beams really that much extra? It seems to me that an oversight in design is being blamed on the athelete by some.

But others, including many fellow athletes have said that the course is too dangerous. So I really really hope that they fix it by this evening when the competition runs start.

Kore! Not to be jovial in a solemn thread, but I didn't know you were still around, buddy.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Cripes, another lawsuit happy response. Is that the only way to prevent things? C'mon, the only ones winning on theat one are the lawyers.

or future loved ones who also lose a someone to tragedy.

You make it sound like the legal system is the devil. Lots of things you and I take for granted today originally were started because of lawsuits.

drjeff

that initial hit might have been the cause of death.

If you're referring to the pylon hit, guarenteed. I've seen a few, pretty graphic, photos online that show that once he cleared the wall, the he hit that metal pylon, going 80mph or so, back first, basically right on his spine in the upper back/neck region just below his helmet :eek: :eek:

The only good thing about that is that wth the speed he was going, he probably didn't know what was happening and he probably didn't feel a thing as it looks like he impacted really close to where his brain stem is :eek: RIP