• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

UVSHTSTRM

If the mountains don't come away with 2-3 ft of snow this week I will be shocked. NECN is talking decent storm on Tues/Wed and a block buster on Thur/Fri. Granted this is NECN and they get really amped up and sometimes over the top with snow events.

WJenness

I'm really excited for this, I hope it pans out... multiple vacation days may be used...

Hopefully this is the start of a very snowy pattern for the mountains... Let's get some great depth before spring temps arrive!

-w

frozencorn

Taking Weds off for Stowe. Hope I can get there. Hope they have their lift issues squared up, otherwise, it'll be the Bush.

Website
maps.google.com
biggest storm of the week :)

More Harsh Weather on the Way for US
(Feb. 22) - The 2009-2010 winter has
been
a wild one, and the approach of March is no
reason to become complacent. Harsh
weather this week might be an indication
that the wild winter will continue into
March.
A significant storm tracking out of the
Midwest and into the Northeast today will
be followed by a sharp blast of cold air from
Canada. Temperatures will be close to 0 degrees
(Fahrenheit) in the northern Plains
on Tuesday.
Meanwhile, a storm bringing significant
snow to the mountains of Arizona and New
Mexico today will most likely bring another
round of snow to northern Texas, with the
heaviest snow to the south of Dallas, from
tonight into tomorrow.
The biggest storm of the week might be
found as it draws to a close. The merger of
cold air and a storm along the East Coast
has the potential to produce a windwhipped
snowstorm in New England. Early
indications are that the storm might miss
the areas hardest hit by snow this year —
from Philadelphia southward to Washington,
D.C. — but the return of a more welldefined
southern storm track by the latter
part of the week might open the door for an
intense storm next week.
Susan Walsh, AP
A weather pattern resembling the one
during the heart of this memorable winter
could spell trouble in the coming weeks.
Here, Brooks Chamberlin of Annapolis,
Md., shovels her sidewalk on Feb. 10.
A potent storm will most likely move
through southern California later this
week, and storms moving through southern
California often end up becoming major
storms along the Eastern Seaboard several
days later. If this California storm does materialize,
then there is the potential for a
major East Coast storm, including in the
Mid-Atlantic region, during the first part of
next week. It’s impossible to predict
whether the storm would produce snow or
rain for the major cities; regardless, the potential
of the current weather pattern is a
return of major storms from coast to coast.
The weather pattern in the coming weeks
is similar to the pattern during the heart of
this memorable winter, with an active
Southern storm track, intermittent blasts
of Arctic air, and the occasional merging of
Northern and Southern storms.
This trio of meteorological powerhouses
has resulted in the wild weather pattern.
Rain and mountain snow has been impressive
enough in California to seriously dent a
three-year drought, and storms tracking
from the Desert Southwest through the
Plains and into the Southeast have produced
bouts of heavy rain and an unusual
amount of snow as they interacted with the
abundant cold air.
The Southern storms often merged with
Northern storms along the Eastern
Seaboard to produce monstrous snowstorms
in a record-breaking snowfall year
in the Mid-Atlantic region. For a time, the
cold northerly flow was able to diminish the
Southern storms and set the stage for
record cold extending from the Plains to
south Florida.
These same weather factors aren’t a
guarantee of identical results, of course.
Just as a chef can mix similar ingredients to
create a different dish, the same weather
factors can be combined to result in different
daily weather patterns; however, some
of the same types of weather that made the
winter memorable are certainly possible,
and wild weather of some kind is certainly
likely.
Keep your seat belts buckled: The wild
winter weather ride is not over.
Follow us on Facebook and
Twitter.
2010 AOL Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Glenn

This is looking interesting! Looks good for Southern VT early in the week...then AGAIN later in the week.

drjeff

I need the Thurs/Fri to just be a r$%n event in the Southern New England I-95 corridor!!! Gotta get one of Southwest's planes into Providence Friday evening so that it can take me and my family out to Utah on Saturday! :)

I don't think that it's any coincidence that yesterday PM, I haul all my families ski gear home from our place in VT down to CT to get it ready to goto Utah, and finally it appears that the solid accumulation snow droughts will be ending across So VT! ;) :)

Glenn

I need the Thurs/Fri to just be a r$%n event in the Southern New England I-95 corridor!!! Gotta get one of Southwest's planes into Providence Friday evening so that it can take me and my family out to Utah on Saturday! :)

I don't think that it's any coincidence that yesterday PM, I haul all my families ski gear home from our place in VT down to CT to get it ready to goto Utah, and finally it appears that the solid accumulation snow droughts will be ending across So VT! ;) :)

Jeff....It may be early, but I'll start thanking you now for not being at the mountain this weekend. :lol:

frozencorn

Good man. Thanks.

drjeff

Good man. Thanks.

If I gotta take one for the AZ team, I'll step up to the plate! ;) :lol:

The funny thing that it will likely be puking snow here in the Northeast, and I'll be looking at bluebird days in Utah with no freshies - oh well there are worse things than that! :)

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I'm really excited for this, I hope it pans out... multiple vacation days may be used...

-w

Ditto here. This is the first time this season I've actually been uber excited about hitting the slopes in the northeast. No question I've been having fun throughout the season, but this hopes to be something else.

I'm packing the car with the survival kit - sleeping bag, shovel, sand, extra food. Lining up all hotel/motel numbers along the way in case things get interesting. Golden Lion might get a call from me. Depending on how things track, MRG is in my sights.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
I love provacative adjectives like wild, monstrous , record-breaking and memorable .

oooooh ! Stay home. everyone Get milk, bread, gas up the car. Get to the cash machine, since they won't have electricity for days. Buy batteries, get radio, candles at the ready. I will bet I-91 will be a parking lot Thursday and Friday afternoon.

It will be all your fault if I get stuck up in the mountains and can't get back. I'll just have to eat tree bark and boil water!

Greg

Staff member
I love provacative adjectives like wild, monstrous , record-breaking and memorable .

oooooh ! Stay home. everyone Get milk, bread, gas up the car. Get to the cash machine, since they won't have electricity for days. Buy batteries, get radio, candles at the ready. I will bet I-91 will be a parking lot Thursday and Friday afternoon.

It will be all your fault if I get stuck up in the mountains and can't get back. I'll just have to eat tree bark and boil water!

:roll: You have a couple hundred posts exactly like this one. I'm glad you still find them entertaining. You did forget a "flatlander" comment though. :razz:

dmc

:roll: You have a couple hundred posts exactly like this one. I'm glad you still find them entertaining. You did forget a "flatlander" comment though. :razz:

After being in Atlanta at the beginning of last week.. I can't even laugh at this stuff...

They closed schools due to flurries.. Flurries... :)

I told my new boss my flight was delayed on Tues night.. I told her it was because were expecting 10"... She was shocked that the plane was still flying..

reefer

Yeah, give it a rest all ready.........................

WinnChill

Been working hard on narrowing down forecast details (arbitrary NH forecast) for this week. Will likely need to tweak accumulations and play around with the possible mixing for southern areas Thurs/Fri.

Cheers!
WC

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Which is a sad commentary on the state of media weather reporting, which continue to whip the fires of sensation. :blink:

Really now, you don't have to read my comments:roll: Conversations are for the living, not the archives. Or should I just re-link to the archives?

Thanks for the reminder, it's time for some more flatlander comments!:lol:

I'm glad I don't live in China!