• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

roark

And the one that matters more ;)

day2_psnow_gt_04.gif
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/wwd/day2_psnow_gt_04.gif

WWF-VT

With the lack of accurate storm forecasts this season I will wait for a real time update from Atkinson and Josh Fox before I get excited about any snow in the MRV

Greg

Staff member
With the lack of accurate storm forecasts this season I will wait for a real time update from Atkinson and Josh Fox before I get excited about any snow in the MRV

Even the "nowcasting" has been wrong. I'll make tentative plans, but I'm not getting too hyped up........yet........

bvibert

Staff member
Even the "nowcasting" has been wrong. I'll make tentative plans, but I'm not getting too hyped up........yet........

Sad but true. I'm way too good at getting all hyped up about potential storms only to be severely disappointed when it doesn't come...

WinnChill

Playing devils advocate...by virtue of the fact that you're making tentative plans, haven't the forecasts already served their purpose to this point? How'd you even know of a storm in the first place? Did the trees tell you?

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
REVENGE OF THE WINTER MONSTER - 3-5 FEET OF SNOW COMING TO THE CATSKILLS... Starting.

Monday, February 22, 2010
REVENGE OF THE WINTER MONSTER - 3-5 FEET OF SNOW COMING TO THE CATSKILLS... Starting... TONIGHT!

I wish I could show you guys our awesome Accuweather Pro video, but I was told it would get me in trouble. Joe Bastardi showed today that there is EPIC snow coming to the Catskills this week... 3 to 5 FEET in the Catskills & Adirondacks. 1-2 feet in the Poconos and surrounding areas.

The snow starts tonight... we'll keep you all apprised. Come get some! This is said to be the most epic storm in years, if not decades. I'll post (non-proprietary) news stories & forecasts as they come in!

Even if this comes close, it would be awesome, except for the fact that my son has a SG at Whiteface on Friday. Can you say LOTS of slipping and the use of the blades on the snowcats...I guess I can ski Pow Pow at Whiteface on Friday:smile::smile:

4aprice

Monday, February 22, 2010
REVENGE OF THE WINTER MONSTER - 3-5 FEET OF SNOW COMING TO THE CATSKILLS... Starting... TONIGHT!

I wish I could show you guys our awesome Accuweather Pro video, but I was told it would get me in trouble. Joe Bastardi showed today that there is EPIC snow coming to the Catskills this week... 3 to 5 FEET in the Catskills & Adirondacks. 1-2 feet in the Poconos and surrounding areas.

The snow starts tonight... we'll keep you all apprised. Come get some! This is said to be the most epic storm in years, if not decades. I'll post (non-proprietary) news stories & forecasts as they come in!

Even if this comes close, it would be awesome, except for the fact that my son has a SG at Whiteface on Friday. Can you say LOTS of slipping and the use of the blades on the snowcats...I guess I can ski Pow Pow at Whiteface on Friday:smile::smile:

Wow I hope your right. Joe Bastardi is accused of hype alot of times but if you go back and look at his winter prediction from July he really nailed it this year. The skiing has been great so far and a storm like you describe would make it epic.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Glenn

Pretty eye candy is beginning to be generated. If this pans out, I may never come home. wish wish hope hope.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

They left out Southern VT!

NWS isn't saying much for Southern VT.....no watches or warnings. Forecast discussion sayins 3-10". Quite a range!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
They left out Southern VT!

NWS isn't saying much for Southern VT.....no watches or warnings. Forecast discussion sayins 3-10". Quite a range!
You're looking at the coverage area from the Boston (Taunton) NWS office only. Albany, which covers SVT is really asleep at the wheel and doesn't do graphics at all. And they are really late to the party in issuing their warnings. I don't think they like snow :-x I've been whining about Albany NWS for a year now.

Glenn

You're looking at the coverage area from the Boston (Taunton) NWS office only. Albany, which covers SVT is really asleep at the wheel and doesn't do graphics at all. And they are really late to the party in issuing their warnings. I don't think they like snow :-x I've been whining about Albany NWS for a year now.

Cool. Thanks Bill. I'll join the club and start whining about Albany as well. :beer:

GoddamnedAlbanyNWSOfffice!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com

Greg

Staff member
Say what you want about Albany, but they are usually pretty accurate with their forecast/discussions, etc. Might be that being conservative is more appropriate.