• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The 2/23 - 2/26 Storm Discussion Thread

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
HAHAHA, jesus, figures, just saw WMUR in NH and for Wednesday they have backed off the 10-15 and now are saying for the Wednesday storm to expect a 4-6 inches or so with rain and freezing rain up to the whites.

And for the other storm it looks like all rain with some backend snow and front end snow, but definately not the feet they were talking about just a day ago.
They just jacked up the wed snow forecast for the greens and adk's

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
BOTH of these storms look like they're going to draw in a significant amount of warm air off the Atlantic, the tricky part forcasting wise to to figure out just how far North and West the warm air will displace the cold air??? The warm/cold line could set up 50 miles inland or 100 miles inland, especially on Thurs/Frid when the general motion of the storm appears like it will be a circular wobble with it backing in from the East, thus trying to bring in warmer air with it

I will let you know when I'm up there. Hey, Dr. J, have a great trip!

UVSHTSTRM

They just jacked up the wed snow forecast for the greens and adk's

This is how I see it....southern VT will get pounded with snow, the Whites and Longellows of Maine will also get some good snowfall, but there will be some high amounts of rain, especially Thursday and Friday, so get out while the the gettin is good!

Overall I am calling BUST!

ZYDECORICH

Biggest issue with that far out and this storm, is how quickly and/or slowly it's going to pull out of here?? If it does what the models suggest, Saturday should be windy, but not too crazy. If it stalls out, well then windholds will be an issue

The weather channel's 12:30pm update just got a little more in line with the thought that it will stall out and sit over the northeast...maybe 2 days maybe more. Apparently this ridge set up with the blocking high above NE doesn't happen very often and it could be, if i may use their word...epic. feets of snow. It sounds like the VooDoo Lady may have put extra Cayenne in the stir pot this time.:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

UVSHTSTRM

Snowing out pretty could in the central part of the Upper Valley. Still pretty warm out though. Calling for 10-15 inches still, but being here in the lowlands I am guess 6-8 inches with the low elevation, warm temps and shadowing from the Greens that is common. I am guessing Sunapee just to the north and east will get the 10-15 inches.

-Fred Garvin

UVSHTSTRM

Both of these storms are very tricky, curious to see where the rain/snow/mix line ends up.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
The weather channel's 12:30pm update just got a little more in line with the thought that it will stall out and sit over the northeast...maybe 2 days maybe more. Apparently this ridge set up with the blocking high above NE doesn't happen very often and it could be, if i may use their word...epic. feets of snow. It sounds like the VooDoo Lady may have put extra Cayenne in the stir pot this time.:stirpot::stirpot::stirpot:

Please sir, two servings of epic and one order of stranded on the mountain. Thank you very much!

UVSHTSTRM

Please sir, two servings of epic and one order of stranded on the mountain. Thank you very much!

You will get an average (10-20inch) storm tonight and tomorrow and 1 epic "melting" pot of wind, rain, snow, wind, snow, wind, sleet, rain, more snow and yes wind on Thursday and Friday. :)

drjeff

Right now the way the models are starting to look for the late week storm, the Catskills could be the BIGGEST winner from this one, where if some of the precipitation potential forcast models out there are right, some of the Catskills could get 4+ feet of snow from this one :snow: :eek: :snow:

WinnChill

Funny, snowforecast.com (winnchill) thinks it will be windy, but NWS does not. Maybe winn is taking elevation into account. I'm looking at fixed grip service.

Ok, I'm back for a bit. Yes, I do both base and summit winds...NWS sticks with just surface winds. Like DrJeff said, Wed's winds won't be the strongest (but still somewhat strong)...it's the developing wind for Thurs we're concerned about...we're still trying to time when those really pick up for Thurs PM.

Grassi21

Ok, I'm back for a bit. Yes, I do both base and summit winds...NWS sticks with just surface winds. Like DrJeff said, Wed's winds won't be the strongest (but still somewhat strong)...it's the developing wind for Thurs we're concerned about...we're still trying to time when those really pick up for Thurs PM.

^^^ This is the magic time I need!!!!!!!!!!

WinnChill

HAHAHA, jesus, figures, just saw WMUR in NH and for Wednesday they have backed off the 10-15 and now are saying for the Wednesday storm to expect a 4-6 inches or so with rain and freezing rain up to the whites.

And for the other storm it looks like all rain with some backend snow and front end snow, but definately not the feet they were talking about just a day ago.

Funny, snowforecast.com (winnchill) thinks it will be windy, but NWS does not. Maybe winn is taking elevation into account. I'm looking at fixed grip service.

^^^ This is the magic time I need!!!!!!!!!!

Plan on them really kicking in for the PM/Evening.

WinnChill

Who knows, I just wish we could get a simple no frills snowstorm.

WMUR actually stuck by there 10-15 inches on the snow totals map, but when he was talking he said 4-6 inches, so who knows.

As for Thursday Friday, I am leaning towards wash out and windy.

You and me both!

I think I know how you heard this because I hear these things weird sometimes if I'm not paying total attention..."10-15...dramatic pause..for the mountains, 2-6...pause, for the coast" Those pauses and going into other sentences right away drive me nuts.

Glenn

KingM

Website
www.goldenlionriversideinn.com
I'm too tired to post a trip report, but the skiing was great today with several inches of fresh snow down on top of a decent (but heavily skied down) base. It's my kids' school break this week and it finally slowed down enough to let us get out for our annual day trip out of the MRV. We hit Snowbowl and conditions were really superb.

I'm still afraid to put too much hope in the several feet of new snow the mountains are expecting, but I have to admit that I'm starting to get excited.

arik

OMG this happens every year that it dumps here when I go west. (I am going to California tomorrow for a week).

Last edited:

soulseller

WinnChill,
I just checked your site for an Okemo forecast as that is this weekends destination.

Here is what i see.
Tuesday: up to 3"s
Wednesday: 12-18" with a possible 20"!
Thursday day: An additional half a foot
Thursday night - Friday: foot to foot and a half
Saturday: half foot possible
Sunday: 3-6" possible

Using your high and low predictions that is somewhere between 40 and 59"s over 5 days. Seems a little optimistic to me, no?