• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

New Years Weather

J

jlangdale

Well, raining up here in Vermont. Obviously quite sucky outside.

I got the chance to go into work late today and was half-planning on going snowboarding for the first 8AM morning runs... but after looking outside this morning I decided that sleeping in, coffee, news, and breakfast were a better use of my morning.

Looks like New Years Eve and New Years we are forcast for snow showers with cold enough hi/lows for snow making. Maybe a bit more on Wed than Thursday. Which means New Years Day morning runs look freshy! Whether Sugarbush starts up the guns the next two days, that is another story. I'm sure Killington will get back on the guns to recover from any lost base from the r--ns. They always do.

Other than another possible NCP event on or around Saturday it's looking good for small amounts of fresh stuff to fall over the next couple weeks. Keep your fingers crossed.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
Other than another possible NCP event on or around Saturday...
Booo...we are skiing Killington on Saturday!

J

jlangdale

Greg said:
Booo...we are skiing Killington on Saturday!

You have the worst luck this season, Greg! Maybe the weather guys will be wrong and it will be a major dump. That would be sweet, I want to goto Stowe on Saturday, but if it sucks I'm staying at the Bush.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
You have the worst luck this season, Greg!
No friggin' kidding... :roll:

Joshua B

Sometimes one can overplan these things. Instead of skiing last weekend, I did a lost ski area hike.

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Sometimes one can overplan these things.
Yup. That's my problem. I take days off weeks in advance. It's tough though as I have to travel at least an hour to get to any good skiing and with an 11 month old, there's usually a negotiation process with the better half. Long gone are the days of heading out on a whim; at least not until Abby goes with me... ;)

J

jlangdale

I been there. I'm over that hump now. It gets better once they get past 5 or so. My daughter is 7 going on 8. Ski's through the school this season, and I've had her on the mountain the last 2-3 seasons. A lot of fun.

J

jlangdale

Here we go again! R--n stopped and it's snowing! Woot. Forecast for partly sunny morning. I wonder how much we'll get :)

I may try to sneak a few runs in in the morning then I get out of work at 3pm, might head up to Bolton Valley and do some night skiing for New Years Eve.

Greg

Staff member
Should I do Killington on Saturday or bag it? I know they're supposed to get some snow tomorrow, but Saturday looks wet... :(

Greg

Staff member
Joshua B said:
Killington on a mid-season Saturday? :eek:
Why not? :wink: I'm glutton for punishment, I guess. If we go, we'll stay in Rutland tomorrow night so we can get there early...

J

jlangdale

Saturday might be ok, but Sunday isn't looking good. Today was great!

Took my daughter snowboarding with me for the first time and she loves it. She did real excellent and was connecting turns on her 4th and 5th run, got some great pictures.

This was taken on her first run down 'First-Run' at South bunny hill at Sugarbush on New Years Day.
D99E9742c.jpg

Happy New Year to you and yours.

Greg

Staff member
jlangdale said:
This was taken on her first run down 'First-Run' at South bunny hill at Sugarbush on New Years Day.
Great shot. She seems to be enjoying it! 8)

Greg

Staff member
I can't wait till Abby is old enough. Two years to go. I plan to introduce it to her when she's 3.

Anyway, looks like we're bagging tonight's trip to Vermont. Looks like rain at K tomorrow. :( One of these planned trips will work out this year, I hope... :cry:

J

jlangdale

Greg said:
I can't wait till Abby is old enough. Two years to go. I plan to introduce it to her when she's 3.

Anyway, looks like we're bagging tonight's trip to Vermont. Looks like rain at K tomorrow. :( One of these planned trips will work out this year, I hope... :cry:

Good call. Things were looking great Friday morning with about an inch of new snow and coming down strong. But then things switched to sleet and stuff, got very icey near the end of the day with things closing down. Foggy wet soft skiing, but was fun. Let's hope we get trace amounts of bad stuff and return to coldness. The sooner the better.

O

oldhippie

Great pic!!

I really admire your photography!!

Another great pic!