• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Do Not Come to Hunter - Roads Closed - Lifts Down

catskillman

The mountain road, 214 and 296 are apparently closed unless you are a local. The road conditions are fine (although it is snowing like crazy now) there just is no room in town.

23A was backed up down the mountain road this morning - the mountain did not have power and there is nowhere to park.

The finally got a couple of lifts going, the lift lines were unbelievable. NEVER saw anything like it. They stopped selling tickets ..........

The west side lift DIED! No way to get back to the lodge except to walk over 1 mile. People are P_________!!!!!!!!!

The amount of snow is mindbogling - if we get rain the town will be devastated.

catskillman

I am serious - honestly! The town is a disaster.

There is plenty of powder believe me.

keyser soze

I'm thinking it will be in great shape after the weekend crowds leave. I've never skied the West side when it wasn't icy and I';d like to try it.

x10003q

The base cam showed a huge line this morning and then they moved it so you cannot see the HSQ line. The cams now seem to be frozen from around 2:30. It is now 4:30. Plattekill's cam is frozen from yesterday afternoon.

catskillman

Westway / 44 had waist deep powder today. It was the 1 1/2 mile walk back because te lift died that did me in.

Me and the 500+ people that also had to make the treck - turns out they sent the bus drivers home !!!!!!!!!!!

What do you get for this inconvience - a lift ticket good for next year.

This place is a total disaster.

BTW - you need proof of residenct or a minimum of a season pass to get up here now I hear. (2nd hand from the police scanner at MacGregors)

deadheadskier

Staff member
How about some pics of the town and why it's shut down. Would be cool to see.

I'd be bullshit about making that walk. Couldn't the mountain managers drive the bus?

I thought there were two lifts on the Westside? They're both dead?

catskillman

2nd lift wasent't even dug out - power did not appear to be out. Phone was working and they were attempting to start the lift. heard the beeps.

also heard lift attendent screaming into phone that they needed to stop people from coming down the trails - was about 20 minutes before I left for the hike and they were still coming down.

I hear heads will roll (from an unreliable source)

& I hear from a reliable source that the mtn is going to send passholders a gift certificate for the ordeal we have put up with this season. There are some very very T offed people here.

YardSaleDad

Website
www.tirnalong.com
Pulled into the lot this morning at 8:35 to find ridiculous lift ticket lines stretching out across the parking lot, across the drop-off road and into the next parking lot. Got back in the car and drove to Plattekill in 30 minutes. Had a blast. I think I am done with Hunter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
maybe ya'll would get lucky and the place gets sold to a better operator. sure sounds like it's been a tough year for Hunter. Place should be a gold mine with it's proximity to NYC.

patricsaint

Has anyone heard how Windham was today? I'm planning to drive up there tomorrow from Orange County but just might opt for Plattekill instead.
Was planning Hunter for Monday but who knows now....what a mess.

millerm277

For the counterpoint (Note: I was not skiing Hunter today)

- They got 60 inches of snow in a handful of days, and power going out is not likely their fault, nor are road conditions. S*** happens.
- They are getting new lifts next year, according to all indications.
- Killington was mobbed today (where I was), Hunter gets the same group. Everyone in NYC/NJ said "Holy crap! Snow! Let's go ski tomorrow!" No matter what you do, there IS a limit to how many people the mountain can handle....and there's no much the mountain can do about it that works. Turn people away? People get pissed off. Let them on? People get pissed off at the crowds. Tell them not to come? No one shows up then....

However:
- This does not excuse not having the West Side Road open, or the intelligence to tell one of the many buses they've got to go over there and pick people up.
- This does not excuse not having the ability to run the V8 diesel backup that is clearly visible.
- This does not excuse not having the Y up and running for a peak weekend.

Seems like they were overwhelmed to begin with from the snow (Considering there were lifts at Killington running in near channels today), and then got too many people as well.

dmc

whatever.... We are suffering form a major storm... I mean - major.. The town is paralyzed with 6 foot plus of snow... the snow has been relentless. We have power outages in town.. So does the mountain.. People can't even get down their streets... Or out of their driveways...

I was in the bc all day - but arrived at the Z after it all went down.. I called a friend... He came and picked me up... :)

dmc

Seems like they were overwhelmed to begin with from the snow (Considering there were lifts at Killington running in near channels today), and then got too many people as well.

Totally... It was a perfect storm..

dmc

maybe ya'll would get lucky and the place gets sold to a better operator. sure sounds like it's been a tough year for Hunter. Place should be a gold mine with it's proximity to NYC.

Except for the quad issue - which is now resolved - I think it's been a great year at Hunter.

Yesterday was just a cluster F caused by all the snow. I think everyone learned some valuable lessons.

There's more snow here then people have seen in decades... And it all happened at once. You gotta give them a break on that. I JUST now got my car out of the drive. People are still trapped in their houses with no electricity.

I've waited for openings in Tahoe after snowstorms... I've been stuck on lifts in Vail.. I've gotten kicked out because of wind at Wildcat... Been at ski areas when the power goes out.. Shti happens... We chose this sport and should be able to deal what generates out good times - snow storms... And this one was a whopper and will pay off in aces for the next month and longer...

Time to go - I heard it's less cluster-F-y today... haha...

Rambo

Was just looking at the Hunter webcams. The Base Cam shows a huge line going to the quad. They will probably re-aim the cam to not show the long line. Big snowstorms certainly bring out the masses.

dmc

Was just looking at the Hunter webcams. The Base Cam shows a huge line going to the quad. They will probably re-aim the cam to not show the long line. Big snowstorms certainly bring out the masses.

Just got in...
Quad is jammed... BUT the D has no line and the F isn't bad.. Ski on and off the Y - Z has some people...

It's stil crazy here... A friend said he got turned away at the entrance...