• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Lower back pain

Greg

Staff member
Periodically after a day of skiing, I will experience lower back pain that lasts 4-5 days. I have it now. I only skied 3 1/2 hours on Monday, but yesterday morning I twisted wrong and it's been killing me ever since. Especially this AM. It seems to loosen up throughout the day though. I had some pain right before Christmas as well after my half day at Jiminy on the 18th. I've experienced this in other years, but it usually only happens after the first few times out; almost like my back strengthens after a few outings. Is my skiing posture the cause? Aging?

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
i would say more conditioning than technique, until you've skied at least a half dozen times and built up those muscles you don't use during the rest of the year. after that, you should be okay... or else it might be technique. but bad technique never gave me back pains before i learned proper form and control.

also, the type of terrain you are skiing could be an issue. i know if i'm skiing bumps and natural snow all day, doing lots of hop turns, big bumps, etc. i'm more inclined to feel it in the morning. again, conditioning with this style terrain usually means i don't have much pain after january 1st.

Joshua B

It could be a reoccurring back injury. I suggest stretching exercises in the morning and while you're booting up in the lodge. Lay on your back and with both hands, bring your knee up to your chest for ten seconds and repeat. After your ski day, soak in a hot bath. Be very careful of twisting your lower back, and learn how to lift appropriately. If your back does suddenly give out, call it a day and take care of it immediately. That means stop straining your back and get into that hot bath.

This works for me, and I've had my lower back problem since about 1998. But then again, our problems might be completely different. You might not have a problem!

L

Lisamarie

Great topic! A good deal of research about this was done in Australia. Protection of the lower back is a function of core strength. But unfortunately, when you say "core exercise" people think of crunches. For the most part, crunches work the rectus abdominus,which is the outer layer of abdominal muscle. Back in the 70s, we used to think that a strong rectus protects the back.
We were wrong!

The low back muscles are actually protected by a group of deeper muscles:

The transverse abdominal muscle, which compresses the air from the diaphragm on exhalation.

The pelvic floor, which supports the internal organs.

The multifidus, which connects the transverse abdominal muscle to the spine.

A study performed at The University of Queensland found that people without low back pain will activate their transverse abdominal muscle a split second prior to any movement. People with back trouble will activate thheir TVA AFTER any movement.

RE-educating the core muscles is challenging, but not impossible. The easiest way is to hold a 10 secoond abdominal contraction 10 times a day. To work the multifidus, get onto all 4s, simutaneously extend your right leg and your left arm, without leaning into your left hip. Repeat on the other side. Contract your abs prior to each movement. The pelvic floor can be worked by performing kegels, and yes, guys can do them too!
:p
One important thing for those of you wiith young children: Using artificial means to get your baby to walk or stand before they are ready, can intefere with the development of their transverse abdominal muscle, and set them up for future back pain!

Greg

Staff member
Lisamarie said:
One important thing for those of you wiith young children: Using artificial means to get your baby to walk or stand before they are ready, can intefere with the development of their transverse abdominal muscle, and set them up for future back pain!
Can you elaborate here?

Great info here, especially some of the warm ups/exercises one can do. I think my problem is a mix of conditioning and technique. Perhaps I don't "feel" my bad technique as much later in the season as my back (and stomach I guess) muscles get stronger. I think I tend to ski like there is powder in all conditions; trying to keep the tips up and arching my back slightly, just this side of being in the back seat. I'm going to concentrate on my form more next time I'm out, for sure...

L

Lisamarie

If you have any ski instructor friends, ask them to let you see the fall edition of The Professional Skier. The article "Cut to the Core" has some photos of core exercises.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Greg said:
I think I tend to ski like there is powder in all conditions; trying to keep the tips up and arching my back slightly, just this side of being in the back seat. I'm going to concentrate on my form more next time I'm out, for sure...
i think this might be more of a cause of quads being tired than lower back pain (if i understand what you are describing correctly). proper form generally involves toe/knee/nose allignment and a "forward" stance. whereas powder you want to remain very centered, skiing groomed and such should feel like you'll leaning a bit forward to most people. when i start "sitting back" or getting in the seat, my quads get tired and sore. only time i get lower back pain is when i'm getting bucked around by big bumps.

good call by JoshuaB on stretching!!! it's an oft forgotten part of the sport and i often get strange looks going through a stretch routine in the lodge! i never see any one else stretch, i'm not sure why.

O

oldhippie

I have a bit of lower back pain, but I have always had some lower back problems. 4th/5th lumbar alingmnets etc.

I just attribute it to lack of enough conditioning and then reworking all those muscles at the beginning of every year.

Sounds like some great advice above, with the exercises.

Joshua B

Lisamarie said:
To work the multifidus, get onto all 4s, simutaneously extend your right leg and your left arm, without leaning into your left hip. Repeat on the other side.

I was taught this one in physical therapy too. I need to start doing it again. It really helped to strengthen my lower back and keep me injury-free.

noreaster

Greg back pain is my biggest concern as I get older. Most of my older friends have back pain and it changes their lives. All my older friends that I played volleyball with have back pain. I quit playing in serious volleyball leagues. I still play volleyball in backyard picnics now and then but only 50% effort.

See a good doctor. A friend was crippled from back pain due to a car accident. Seriously. This guy is extremely active at home/work and was going nuts. After starting Physical Therapy he is now back playing sports again. Whole new person. In case your wondering he didn’t make a dime on the insurance policy. Before the Physical Therapy he couldn’t go to work or do anything but lay on the living room floor.

skiguide

Website
www.pmgearusa.com
I agree on the core strength part, for sure, and also perhaps on the form.
And it's never too late to take another lesson with a pro to point out some of your bad habits, that can really help.

also maybe start checking into good chiropractors -I see mine at least once a week during ski season, as it begins to wear on my aging body;) (i'm still young, but lots of sports as a teen/college age have taken their toll on the joints) i find it really helps. the thermoscan and/or xrays a chiropractor would take may also show if something else major is in fact going on.

MtnMagic

Yes it certainly can be core strenght and not enough exercise. It could also be what happened to me, your back may get out of alignment. A great chiropractor and hours of hiking with an external frame back pack worked for me.

S

shortski

Had the same problem you describe, a physical therapist friend told me that the two major cause of back pain are weak abdominals and tight hams strings. Do any exercise that strengthens your abs along with stretching out the ham strings. I've found this to be the best one for me;

Sit on the floor with both legs extended lift either leg and place the ankle just over the opposite knee, reach out with the hand on the same side as the leg you raised and touch the toes of the extended leg, hold the stretch for a count of five, repeat 4-5 times then alternate legs, do this a couple of time a day and you should see some improvement in a week. Good luck back pain can be, well a real pain in the
10_6_2.gif

Greg

Staff member
Thanks for the advice, shortski and welcome to the boards!

S

shortski

Thanks, I figured I'd start posting so I could get in on some of the swag
23_1_81.gif

M

mattfishng

As far asback pain is conerned posture play a small part. A lot can be attributed to weak stomach muscles and trunk muscles,meaning lower back upper thighs and quads

L

Lisamarie

The tight hamstring issue is an interesting one. Often, people with back problems actually have tight hip flexors. When the hip flexors are tight, something called reciprocal inhibition occurs.(in case you want to impress your friends! :lol: )

In plain English, tight hip flexors means weak glutes. This causes the hamstrings to work harder than they need to, causing them to feel tight. Often, people think that their hamstrings are tight, and they end up overstretching them, thereby weakening them. This will cause an imbalance between the hamstrings and the quads. An overuse of the quads will put you in the back seat, which can lead to more back pain.

Not to be obnoxious, but people keep mentioning "stomach strength and stomach exercises." I can't stress this enough. Working the external layer of abmominal muscle will do very liittle to prevent back pain.

Anyone who followed all that is ready for a career in fitness! :)

Greg

Staff member
Well, after a few more outings, my back feel fine. I did try to alter my technique a bit and stay more evenly weighted between my toes and heels. I'm not sure if that helped or if my back is just stronger now; probably a little of both. Thanks for the advice, everybody. Bring on the rest of the season! :)