• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ski Butternut - 1/01/04

skijay

Date Skied: 1/1/04
Ski Area: Ski Butternut

Conditions: loose granular, hard packed

Trip Report:

I pulled into the parking lot at about 8:15am expecting the lot to be filled up. It was not. I was in the third row. I had hoped to be there at 8am. It was kind of strange as I was riding the Mass Pike from Springfield, I did not see any cars traveling in my direction with ski racks. Even getting off of the exit and heading toward Butternut on rt 102, there were no cars behind me...kind of strange.

The conditions were good, considering the weather we have had. I skied here on 12/19 and at that time they were blowing snow and several trails were not yet open. Some of those trails are now bare. Main Street was bare. I do not think I have seen this trail "naked" this time of year. I skied Luifer’s Leap, Hob Nob, Lower Applejack, Dipsy, Pied Piper and Nut Hatch from the Quad. Did I mention there were no lift lines? I went over to the Overbrook triple lift but at the time they had Downspout open only for a race event. I had to go up the hill and ski down the Uptown trail to work my way back to the quad. By about 10:30am the Downspout trail was open. The FreeWheeler Trail was bare.

I did leave at 11:45am. Even at that time there was maybe about 15 people in line at the quad. I am glad I went today, because this weekend does not look to good.

Greg

Staff member
Sounds like similar conditions to Monday. Butternut always does a great job snowmaking and grooming, but when temps are this warm, there's only so much you can do, I guess. It was weird to see Main Street and Freewheeler bare. I kind of expected it on Upper Applejack as they tend to open that one last (great trail, BTW).