• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Adjustable skis

kingslug

I was snooping around skistop the other day and came across Volkl Grizzlys. They have a switch for powder and hardpack on the back. Do these things really work?? I think it could be a great idea but how much do they really adjust?

wa-loaf

I was snooping around skistop the other day and came across Volkl Grizzlys. They have a switch for powder and hardpack on the back. Do these things really work?? I think it could be a great idea but how much do they really adjust?

I haven't skied the Grizzly, but the TigerShark has the power switch too and it's a noticeable difference.

Clarkl23

Website
www.linehan-photography.com

I have a pair of 170 Grizzlys and you can definitely feel the difference. If you want to use the aggressive setting the ski will definitely carve an arc, but you have to get it out from under you. I like to use them in soft snow, including some of the mush we had toward the end at Blue Hills. The funny thing is when I demoed them I'd already made up my mind that I wanted AC-50's... I hated the 50's and love the Griz, which just goes to show why you should make up your mind after a demo and not after reading specs.

Clark

meff

The bumps are doable on the griz in cruise mode, but I personally don't think its ideal. I'd rather have something like a bridge underfoot for the bumps.

I ski a 177 mostly on power mode, but I'm not a small guy.

kingslug

If they weren't so expensive I would consider them but would want to demo them first. Still need the perfect Northeast ski.....

meff

Yeah, they are a ski you want to demo, I know some folks have said they hate it. I do know where a demo pair of 170's is for $550.

One thing I will say about them, they love speed so you might want to buy 'em a bit shorter.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'd love to try them. The concept has been around awhile. It was the purpose of the old Marker M1SC bindings. I definitely could tell a noticeable difference between the three flex settings with that binding and it was 15 years ago that they came out.

I'd love an 80 waisted ski, that can carve really well with exceptional grip on ice and with a flick of the switch are a competent bump/tree ski.

kingslug

I'd love to try them. The concept has been around awhile. It was the purpose of the old Marker M1SC bindings. I definitely could tell a noticeable difference between the three flex settings with that binding and it was 15 years ago that they came out.

I'd love an 80 waisted ski, that can carve really well with exceptional grip on ice and with a flick of the switch are a competent bump/tree ski.

And that pretty much is the perfect ski.....