• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit at Sugarloaf: 3/25 - 3/28

Greg

Staff member
riverc0il, bvibert, wjenness, deadheadskier, woodcore, jimg and i are taking a break at Bullwinkles. Great day. Fast groomers, some loose snow, bluebird, no wind.

Greg

Staff member
Great day. Found some very skiable bumps. Just got back from the apres party. Time to chill and Rustic Overtones tonight!

2knees

do some shots, some car bombs, about 8 beers each then post some pics!

DiMe

I want to see pictures of Sugarloaf :( Never been there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
THANK YOU SUGARLOAF!!!

Back a bit early due to work obs, but what a weekend. Sugarloaf really went above and beyond from their service at the parties to the exceptional job they did with less than ideal weather conditions up on the hill. Skied Friday at Sunday River with wjenness, JimG, bvibert and severine and it was a nightmare. I was literally shocked at how well Sugarloaf was able to lay out a great groomed surface for both days this weekend.

While not the epic corn harvest we all dreamt of, the conditions were really pretty darn good. Each day started with the whole group ripping together, then people venturing off to do their own thing. This morning was particularly sweet with Sugarloaf letting us on the lift an hour before the general public. Outside of about 30 other people, Alpinezone owned the hill for the first hour.

As there were no bumps really to be had, a two run combined Naster race was set up instead. I'm not a gate skier, which I'm sure everyone would agree who saw me, but I still had fun. Woodcore was the champ and winner of the coveted Golden Alpinezone Mouse. He beat waloaf by a downright Olympic close two one hundredths of a second.

I think I shared a lift or a beer with pretty much all who came, which appeared to be about 30 members. Just a great, great time. Anyone who didn't have a good time, needs to find a new sport because it was a freaking blast. Many folks were shooting lots of pics and I saw a few shooting video, so all that should come along in the coming days.

Plenty of snow still up on Sugarloaf. Should be PRIME straight through April, so get on up there. I know I'll be back for at least a day before the end of the season. Awesome Mountain.

Thanks again Sugarloaf and especially Greg for setting this all up!!!! Can't wait for the next one.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Just got back home and am too spent to post up a full report... but what a freaking blast! Sugarloaf did AZ up right. Amazing amount of snow up there right now... gotta be the deepest base depth of any ski area in the eastern USA right now. Turns at the Back on Friday were excellent as well. These areas did an amazing job considering what they had to work with Thursday night.

Great skiing with everyone and BIG THANKS to the AZ Team for putting this whole thing together. Very impressive weekend even if it was not the spring skiing weather we had all hoped for.

WJenness

Great weekend.

Three days spent out skiing, can't ask for much more.

Saturday I ripped the river solo for an hour or so before finding bvibert, JimG, and deadheadskier... Crazy day where it appeared the temp must have plummeted mid-groom, half of the trail was frozen rock-solid cord, and the other half was tolerable...

SL did a great job, had a gorgeous bluebird day on Saturday, a little cold, but no wind, all the lifts were turning, skied more Vert than any other day in my life. Had a blast.

Today was a little rougher, the winds kicked up and blew the snow around, Timberline never opened (at least before I left) and spillway went on windhold a little before 11AM. Still some good turns to be had off of the King Pine, Superquad and even Whiffletree chairs though. Skied a run from the top of spillway to the SQ base non-stop right before Spillway went on hold... That was a good thigh burner.

Did a couple more SQ runs, and called the day at 11:30. Stopped in at the Bag and had a delicious burger before hitting the road...

Thank you so much to Sugarloaf, Greg and everyone else for making this happen. I had a blast, and can't wait for the next one.

Also, thanks a ton to riverc0il who handled our condo reservations and got us all set up.

My ride home was surprisingly quick. I was thinking it was going to take a minimum of 4 hours, maybe a little over four and a half. Photographic evidence proves otherwise:

550684.jpg

Just under four hours from sitting down in the car to parking it at home... A little over 3 1/2 spent driving. Made two quick stops, one in Farmington for gas, and once at the rest area just after Gray on the Maine Turnpike.

... Nap time...

-w

wa-loaf

I like that top speed. :wink:

Got back about a 1/2 hour ago. Great time with everyone and the whole event. Gotta deal with the kids now, but I'll put up the few pics I took this evening. 4 hours total time to the dot for me. Stopped in Freeport for a few.

Thanks to Greg and Sugarloaf! :beer:

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nice seeing everyone! Wlopowski and I had a great time. Made the obligatory stop at the Sugarloaf Shop and got some nice stuff.

Pics and TR coming soon.

Saturday: amazing day. Runs on Gondi Line and Timberline were great. Awesome views.

Sunday: thank God for 7:30 am chair. The first two hours were the best conditions and weather. I wrapped up at 11:30 after almost being blown off the Spillway Chair and then skidding down the shear ice on the top of Gondi Line. Lifts were closing due to wind...it was nasty folks...cold wind.

Also, if anyone found my blue Patagonia Hat at the Lounge yesterday after the party, please PM me!!! Thanks.

Thanks Sugarloaf for a great weekend. We're coming back up in a few weeks (fingers crossed).

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
I'll leave it to the experts to sum up the skiing. I enjoyed what I did--but it wasn't a lot. One run down Tote Road yesterday and 4 or so runs today, taking advantage of the early lift access. Nice finally matching some faces to names. The show last night was a lot of fun; Greg, Woodcore, and I stayed to the end and there were a few others who showed up at intervals. Thanks, Greg and Sugarloaf for putting this together! And thanks, JimG for your pointers! :D

I have some pics but not any of skiing... Let me see what I have.

WoodCore

Pretty much! :D I think I skied faster today than I ever have.

BTW...this has to be in the thread. From Friday night's meet and greet:
25144_1386380788488_1501085519_969951_5133678_n.jpg

Classic! I'm holed up in Ludlow, VT tonight but can't wait to get back home tomorrow and post some pictures.

wa-loaf

Here're a few of my pics:

meet-up the first morning:
IMG_4637.JPG

Looking over to the Bigelows:
IMG_4641.JPG

Paul enjoying some whoopie pie:
IMG_04521.JPG

Sunrise for first tracks:
IMG_0453.JPG

bvibert

Staff member
Great time this weekend. DHS and the others covered it pretty well; Sugarloaf did a great job with the event and getting the mountain back in good shape. I'm too tired right now to post much more, maybe tomorrow.

bvibert

Staff member
A few crappy cell phone pictures..

Carrie already stole this one from me, but it's cool enough to post again.. ;) Greg doing his thing:
25144_1386380788488_1501085519_969951_5133678_n.jpg

riverc0il, Woodcore, and Roccojerry at the meet and great on Friday night:
25144_1386412909291_1501085519_970013_3899676_n.jpg

My cell phone takes crappy pictures when it's dark..

Some of the crew at the top of the Super Quad for the first run of the day on Saturday:
25144_1386781118496_1501085519_970922_1893261_n.jpg

View from the Super Quad
25144_1386894401328_1501085519_971280_5518741_n.jpg

I think this is Gondi line from the Spillway x-cut, it's JimG dropping in with Woodcore looking on.
25144_1388609004192_1501085519_976517_3737586_n.jpg

Greg and rivercoil get ready to shred:
25144_1388610924240_1501085519_976519_528007_n.jpg

roark

Great weekend up at the Loaf. Enjoyed seeing some old friends and of course the skiing. Kudos to the SL staff who did a great job, enjoyed the VIP treatment!

From the condo:
IMG_4298.jpg

Bluebird
IMG_4303.jpg

While the slackers had lunch or took naps, from_the_NEK and I kept at it and found some nice bumps on Skidder, this photo does it absolutely no justice. Sweet blown in untracked troughs...
IMG_4320.jpg

Me demonstrating how not to ski bumps
IMG_4325_crop.jpg

We met up with the rest of the group and lapped Skidder > Sheer Boom over and over
Greg:
IMG_4371_crop.jpg

riv
IMG_4402_crop.jpg

First tracks today was way better than I expected, really fun to get in a few laps before the public!

The horde descended on Gondi...
JimG
IMG_4554_crop.jpg

It almost looks like Greg can carve
IMG_4573_crop.jpg

deadheadskier
IMG_4584_crop.jpg

woodcore
IMG_4619_crop.jpg

WJenness
IMG_4623_crop.jpg

snowmonster waving for the camera
IMG_4640_crop.jpg

trailboss
IMG_4657_crop.jpg

Unfortunately I got no pics of from_the_NEK, probably b/c he skis like a bat out hell and I was never in front of him. :razz: