• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

AZ Summit at Sugarloaf: 3/25 - 3/28

WJenness

Huh, my phone did some weird time zone jump too Greg... This morning it asked me if I wanted to convert my appointments to the 'new' timezone... Odd.

I'm on Verizon. You?

-w

Greg

Staff member
Still here...

Snowed about 3" last night...now a mix going to all rain quickly.

Will ski the day and then head south. Weather forecast sucks.

My bet is Jim is braving the rain as we speak, and crawling all over those bump runs.

Greg

Staff member
Huh, my phone did some weird time zone jump too Greg... This morning it asked me if I wanted to convert my appointments to the 'new' timezone... Odd.

I'm on Verizon. You?

-w

AT&T. I discovered is about 8 beers deep at the welcome party. My thought at the time was, "cool, more drinking time." JimG. set me straight. :lol:

wa-loaf

AT&T. I discovered is about 8 beers deep at the welcome party. My thought at the time was, "cool, more drinking time." JimG. set me straight. :lol:

No time zone issues for me (also AT&T), but I could go from 4 bars to nothing in a matter of seconds. Paul and I would be sitting next to each other and my phone would have no service and he'd be surfing away (we have the same phones).

Greg

Staff member
No time zone issues for me (also AT&T), but I could go from 4 bars to nothing in a matter of seconds. Paul and I would be sitting next to each other and my phone would have no service and he'd be surfing away (we have the same phones).

I experienced that too. Cell service seemed very building sensitive. I had a hard time getting coverage at all in the hotel which is all brick. Outside, it seemed fine.

snowmonster

Good time this weekend. Couldn't ask for better roomies (well, except for my girls) and the skiing was much better than anticipated. Being the terminal upper intermediate I wasn't too concerned about bumps or anything, but it was cool checking-out a new place. I can now see what all the hubub is about. Definitely working on plans to bring the fam there next season.

A few things...

Greg, you're just jealous that you missed the shower. It was a mind-scrambler.

Despite the rumors, there were no moon landings.

Snowmonster is one smoooooth operator

Those were some great appetizer spreads, but Sev's Whoopie pies trumped them.

Need to add Wi-Fi to the condos, maybe a cell repeater, those buildings were like Faraday cages.

Woodcore has no nerve endings in his head. Amazing.

Thanks for putting up with me, Paul. I was the roommate that kept sneaking in and out. Smooth operator? Only if it's a Sade song. =)

What's this about the shower? Is that why it was so clean?=)

The whoopie pies were amazing. Two thumbs up.

Cel phone service - I told people that I went off the grid this weekend.

Woodcore's speed has inspired me not to wear a hat.

playoutside

I'm on Verizon. You?

-w

Maybe its some weird Sugarloaf force ;-) ...but more likely it was because of daylight savings time kicking in this weekend in Europe...bet your phone needs a patch.

WJenness

Maybe its some weird Sugarloaf force ;-) ...but more likely it was because of daylight savings time kicking in this weekend in Europe...bet your phone needs a patch.

I don't think my phone is smart enough to know that Western Europe exists...

Oh well, doesn't matter much as it's due for replacement in May anyway.

-w

o3jeff

Snowmonster is one smoooooth operator
+1
24111_375967719666_744459666_3676796_7350033_n.jpg

LADY'S MAN!!!!

At least we now know where snowmonster went Saturday night since he wouldn't tell us.

wa-loaf

All the waitresses at the Loaf seemed pretty hot! Definitely not what you would expect for far northern Maine in the middle of no where. :cool:

Maybe Boyne is importing them. :lol:

I have to say this is my first time back to the loaf since Boyne took over and I'm very impressed with all the improvements they have made on the hill and in the base area. Almost all the lift houses and shacks on the hill have been refurbed. Everything looks great. Service was a little slow at our breakfast at the Sugarloaf Inn, but otherwise it was outstanding everywhere else. Hopefully they can work some of that magic with the lifts now. Anyway kudos to Boyne on a nice job and being great hosts! :beer:

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Due to how fast everyone was moving, I really don't have any pics. I think I got one of Nitro and one of the SL sign at the entrance. Tough getting the camera out when everyone is constantly moving and not being slowed down by the terrain or endurance. Any ways...

This was quite a novelty trip for me as a nearly exclusive day tripper. HUGE THANKS again to Greg and the rest of the AZ Team and especially the guys at the Loaf for doing this trip up right for us.

Going into the weekend, I knew conditions were going to not be there best so I adjusted my expectations. With low expectations going into the weekend, I was amazed by the conditions. I did not expect to be skiing any bumps or natural snow trails (though we did not do much, it was much more than expected) and the groomers held out very well for most of the weekend.

I logged more vertical on Saturday than I have in any one given day in a very long time. And I probably skied more groomers this weekend than I have skied total from 2006 through the present combined. That said, I had an awesome time out there this weekend remember what a blast railing arcs can be and also how hard pack makes you focus on technique (which mine has sadly decreased significantly due to skiing almost exclusively on softer snow throughout the last few seasons).

Saturday, as shown and discussed above, was a perfect sunny mid-January type day. :lol: Snow conditions were firm and fast but plenty edgeable except in a few really scraped down sections. The Skidder to Sheerboom bumps really made my day, though. As I exclaimed before tearing into them, I never thought I would be so excited for two inches of wind blow bumps. Leading the charge towards the King Pine chair down frozen bumps with lots of chunks was tremendously amusing. I got to the bottom of the run, turned around, and saw the majority of our group hacking their way down the run. I thought for sure pretty much everyone was going to go back around towards the groomers after seeing my first few turns!!! :lol:

Sunday was a real and unexpected treat with first tracks. I originally was thinking "what's the rush? hard pack groomers? who cares about first tracks..." But cranking out groomers on untouched cord was awesome. I forgot that mid-winter first tracks on perfect cord is just as much of a reason for first tracks as powder is. I realized on the third chair up that we had a huge advantage compared to the folks just starting to line up for first tracks. They would be going down the trails we already hit when we would be moving on to more untouched areas on the mountain.

"It's just like a powder day!!!" :lol: That had to be my quote of the week.

At least it was on the context of having better snow by being ahead of the crowds. I didn't expect it to be so cool, but I really enjoyed skiing onto a chair while the G/P were waiting in line for 8:30am opening. I can imagine if it was a powder day... folks would have been pissed!!!

Any ways, great to meet so many new folks from AZ and reconnect with many folks I have not seen/skied with in quite some time. I had a blast and hope this as a first of an annual event.

Greg

Staff member
Sunday was a real and unexpected treat with first tracks. I originally was thinking "what's the rush? hard pack groomers? who cares about first tracks..." But cranking out groomers on untouched cord was awesome. I forgot that mid-winter first tracks on perfect cord is just as much of a reason for first tracks as powder is. I realized on the third chair up that we had a huge advantage compared to the folks just starting to line up for first tracks. They would be going down the trails we already hit when we would be moving on to more untouched areas on the mountain.

Your expectation what the whole first tracks thing would be and after the fact conclusion of it mirrors mine and probably everyone else's, I think. Very cool that most of the AZ crew checked it out and was impressed by it.

Good to ski with you again Steve. It seems like we haven't been able to connect for more than a run or two the past few years. At one point, I was talking with someone about one of the earliest gatherings at Berkshire East where you, me, Brian and TTB were present. Hard to believe that was over 5 years ago. Ironically, similar conditions.... :lol:

snowmonster

L to R: Severine, bvibert, JimG, Greg, Peter, Paul, o3jeff, wa-loaf, Woodcore, skibum9995, deadheadskier, riverc0il, double eject, and Reefer's other buddy who's name I can't remember, but I'll just call him boob shot.

Behind the camera is Reefer, and missing is; thetrailboss, his SO (can't remember her screen name), snowmonster, roccojerry, from the NEK, and several other people who's faces I can see, but can't put names to at the moment. Pretty good turnout, IMHO.

This is from several pages back:

I think "boob shot" is Powdahhound -- the patroller from Wa.

Skimaine also showed up at the apres party at the Widowmaker with his wife. Hung out for a bit but went back to skiing. Good guy.

bvibert

Staff member
Your expectation what the whole first tracks thing would be and after the fact conclusion of it mirrors mine and probably everyone else's, I think. Very cool that most of the AZ crew checked it out and was impressed by it.
Put me on that list, I almost didn't go at all, but it turned out really cool!

Good to ski with you again Steve. It seems like we haven't been able to connect for more than a run or two the past few years. At one point, I was talking with someone about one of the earliest gatherings at Berkshire East where you, me, Brian and TTB were present. Hard to believe that was over 5 years ago. Ironically, similar conditions.... :lol:

Likewise Steve, nice to hook up for some turns again. The conditions that day at BEast were pretty crappy indeed, but it was still fun hanging with fellow AZer's. That was one of those trips were I began to realize just how much of a gaper I was and how far I had to go.

darent

big thanks to sugarloaf ,brad and ethan for showing us a great weekend. greg thanks for all the work and anyone else who helped put this weekend together. was good to connect some faces with names and janski and I enjoyed skiing with youall. see you at the next AZ Summit

thetrailboss

Staff member
I must say that the conditions @ the Loaf were way better than that 2005 trip to the BEast. I recall us skidding down a lot of trails there...and basically lapping one run.

bigbog

I do know that most of the area westward, from Moosehead L. to the border...and northward, is off the coverage grid. I think there is a stretch somewhere that encompasses the Bigelow/Sugarloaf(and below?) area...but not factually sure....just over-heard word-of-mouth talk. Once you ski the hard, crunchy, icy stuff at Sugarloaf fairly well...most other places, with good snow, become much easier than before...;-)

$.01

Last edited: