AZ Summit at Sugarloaf: 3/25 - 3/28

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Camera AZ Summit at Sugarloaf: 3/25 - 3/28

Well, I got here a day early so I figured I'd get this epic thread started. Made good time, 6 hours, hardly any stops. Got skiing at 2:20. I planned to use a full day comp just for the few hours this afternoon. The nice guest services women just gave me a lift ticket!

Rode the Superquad twice, Spillway once, then made my way over to King Pine. Weird combo of snow surfaces. Windblown ice, wind-loaded deep manky powder, corn, pre-corn, packed powder was all common on the same trail. Definitely challenging on your toes skiing.

There was a stretch on the king pine quad in the middle of that area that was sweet corn. up high scratchy, down low sticky wet snow. I've never seen so many different conditions in one day.

Hit lowery Misery Whip, Haul Back, Widowmaker, and even Ripsaw. Some of that was spectacular, some of it borderline miserable. Still glad to get on some natural trails....might be hard to come by after the big freeze coming.

Got checked in and I'm finishing up a Bag burger now. I'll be out early tomorrow to rip some cord.

I also headed North early this morning en route to Sugarloaf. Decided to visit an old friend and make some turns at Loon today. Snow was a little firm when I started but quickly softened and made for some sweet turns. Skied from 9:30 till a little after 3 and managed a healthy 30000 feet of descent. I'm currently holed up in N. Conway getting ready catch some zzzz's so I can hit the road towards Saddlerback in the morning.

In on page one!

Have a great time guys! Keep us posted and post lots o' pics!
    SoVT

no snow last light. Much colder this morning and everything is frozen. Gonna be flat and fast today. Thank god for grooming. Yep.....I said that.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    no snow last light. Much colder this morning and everything is frozen. Gonna be flat and fast today. Thank god for grooming. Yep.....I said that.

Well get out there and start skiing some bumps into those groomers...................should I bring my hockey skates?

make the best of it, not everything can be as good as gunny on a 70 degree day....

Coffee break. Man...it feels cold out there, especially after being exposed to all the spring weather. Some okay skiing off Spillway. Stuff that was more recently groomed is decent. Stuff groomed earlier last night, especially the lower mountain is rock hard and teeth chattering. Should be better tomorrow if they can chop that up. Ungroomed stuff will be off limits this weekend, I'd imagine.

The positives....the view is fantastic. Breezy but not overly windy and there is a edge of the clouds that is slowly moving east. Lots of clear deep blue sky to the west. Hopefully the sun will warm things up and loosen some of the snow. I'm gonna give it an hour and head back out.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg View Post
    Coffee break. Man...it feels cold out there, especially after being exposed to all the spring weather. Some okay skiing off Spillway. Stuff that was more recently groomed is decent. Stuff groomed earlier last night, especially the lower mountain is rock hard and teeth chattering. Should be better tomorrow if they can chop that up. Ungroomed stuff will be off limits this weekend, I'd imagine.

The positives....the view is fantastic. Breezy but not overly windy and there is a edge of the clouds that is slowly moving east. Lots of clear deep blue sky to the west. Hopefully the sun will warm things up and loosen some of the snow. I'm gonna give it an hour and head back out.
    This certainly will be shocking after last week..............................shades and T-shirt!

Quote Originally Posted by reefer View Post
    This certainly will be shocking after last week..............................shades and T-shirt!
    Indeed. It feels very much like mid-winter out there....

Get back out there and loosen that shit up for us

Thread Information