• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

ERJ-145CA

If you are putting. 3k RPM against a manual or auto it slows down the same all things being equal. Down shift with a manual in shit conditions and you loose more control than a soccor mom jumping on the breaks and using the ABS.

I've always driven an auto but I'm lazy and it's easier to smoke and drive without having to shift gears. I do however know when to downshift in shitty conditions apparently some people don't. The greatest thing I ever saw was one day when it was snowing and I was going up the hill. There was this Benz coming down the hill and every couple of seconds it would start sliding and turning sideways then straighten out and repeat the whole sliding maneuver again. I said to my wife "look at this idiot keep hitting the brakes instead of downshifting."

There was a huge line of cars behind her too, I can only imagine the snail like speed she must have been driving on the level part of the road. I would have been crazy if I was right behind her going down that hill.

Philpug

Manual transmissions are going the way of the "sandwich construction" skis, they will all be replaced by caps skis. The Cap skis are better technology.

dmc

Better technology != A better experience..

Not equal...??

So I have a pair of old wooden skis with bear trap bindings and leather boots...

Would you like to take them out on a pow day?
Or would you rather take out your brand new lightweight, torsionally stiff, fat skis?

:)

Philpug

I have driven a Ferrari/Maserti F1 tranny and it is truly special but I would rather drive a really good stick, like from a S2000 or Miata. There is something about a 5 to 3 downshift that is feels right in a manual tranny.

bvibert

Staff member
Not equal...??

So I have a pair of old wooden skis with bear trap bindings and leather boots...

Would you like to take them out on a pow day?
Or would you rather take out your brand new lightweight, torsionally stiff, fat skis?

:)

Not for me, but I'm sure there are those that are into that sort of thing. I'm into driving a car with a clutch...

Besides I was replying to the sandwich vs. cap ski construction argument. My favorite skis are sandwich construction..

wa-loaf

Not for me, but I'm sure there are those that are into that sort of thing. I'm into driving a car with a clutch...

Besides I was replying to the sandwich vs. cap ski construction argument. My favorite skis are sandwich construction..

I think Phil was being facetious about the cap vs. sandwich. A lot of skis are trending back to sandwich construction these days.

dmc

I think Phil was being facetious about the cap vs. sandwich. A lot of skis are trending back to sandwich construction these days.

I was around for the initial cap thing... Didn't like it...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I have Tiptronic... Which one is it?

Yours is an automatic transmission (based around a torque converter and planetary gearset(s)), the one that lots of manual transmission fans don't like driving.

/I didn't see where anyone answered your question

dmc

Yours is an automatic transmission (based around a torque converter and planetary gearset(s)), the one that lots of manual transmission fans don't like driving.

/I didn't see where anyone answered your question

Again, slushboxes=bad. Non-sequential manuals = ok. Automated sequential transmissions = good.

No you did not answer my question as to what type of automatic transmission I have on my VW...

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
No you did not answer my question as to what type of automatic transmission I have on my VW...

slushbox = automatic transmission, I was just avoiding using "slush box" out of courtesy towards you because it is a term of automotive derision.

Mondeo didn't list 3 types of automatic transmissions, his list was of his transmission preference in general (I think).

An automated (and non automated) sequential tranmission is a type of conventional manual transmission with a clutch and a typically linear arrangment of constantly meshed gears. It's understandable to read "automated sequential tranmission" and think of what you have in your VW, because in the grammatical sense, it's correct. In the automotive sense, however, a sequential transmission refers to a very specific pairing of a conventionally arranged "manual" transmission with a rotating drum arrangment controlling the shifts so the gear changes can only be made linearly (1 to 2, 2 to 3, 5 to 4, etc) where in a conventional H-shift manual transmission one can select (but not necessarily execute without breaking stuff) any gear from any other gear.

The family of automatic transmissions, of which yours is a member, uses a torque converter rather than a clutch to decouple the transmisison from the engine. A torque converter is (without getting into a detailed description) basically a fluid based decoupling/coupling system. The internal design and the viscousity of the fluid used determines the difference in speed between the input (engine) and the output (transmission) at which the output begins being driven to the same speed as the input, called the stall speed of the torque converter, usually expressed in revolutions per minute. The biggest drawbacks to this device are that it wastes energy from the engine in the form of heat dissipated into the fluid whereas a two plate clutch used for manual transmissions is much closer to lossless once fully engaged (provided it's not worn and slipping). Also a torque convert decouples the engine and tranmssion at the design stall speed, rather than allowing the driver to control this like is possible with a manually actuated clutch. This is why you can stop a car with an automatic tranmission while still leaving it in gear and the engine won't stall. The torque converter starts slipping.

Ok, that was longer than I intended, sorry about that. I didn't even get into the difference bewteen linearly arranged constantly meshed gears (manual transmissions) and planetary gearset (automatic transmissions).

campgottagopee

slushbox = automatic transmission, I was just avoiding using "slush box" out of courtesy towards you because it is a term of automotive derision.

Mondeo didn't list 3 types of automatic transmissions, his list was of his transmission preference in general (I think).

An automated (and non automated) sequential tranmission is a type of conventional manual transmission with a clutch and a typically linear arrangment of constantly meshed gears. It's understandable to read "automated sequential tranmission" and think of what you have in your VW, because in the grammatical sense, it's correct. In the automotive sense, however, a sequential transmission refers to a very specific pairing of a conventionally arranged "manual" transmission with a rotating drum arrangment controlling the shifts so the gear changes can only be made linearly (1 to 2, 2 to 3, 5 to 4, etc) where in a conventional H-shift manual transmission one can select (but not necessarily execute without breaking stuff) any gear from any other gear.

The family of automatic transmissions, of which yours is a member, uses a torque converter rather than a clutch to decouple the transmisison from the engine. A torque converter is (without getting into a detailed description) basically a fluid based decoupling/coupling system. The internal design and the viscousity of the fluid used determines the difference in speed between the input (engine) and the output (transmission) at which the output begins being driven to the same speed as the input, called the stall speed of the torque converter, usually expressed in revolutions per minute. The biggest drawbacks to this device are that it wastes energy from the engine in the form of heat dissipated into the fluid whereas a two plate clutch used for manual transmissions is much closer to lossless once fully engaged (provided it's not worn and slipping). Also a torque convert decouples the engine and tranmssion at the design stall speed, rather than allowing the driver to control this like is possible with a manually actuated clutch. This is why you can stop a car with an automatic tranmission while still leaving it in gear and the engine won't stall. The torque converter starts slipping.

Ok, that was longer than I intended, sorry about that. I didn't even get into the difference bewteen linearly arranged constantly meshed gears (manual transmissions) and planetary gearset (automatic transmissions).

Thanks for that----my head hurts now :smile:

hammer

Forgot to discuss how a lockup torque converter works...;-)

dmc

i was thinking of you guys when I was flipping through my gears on my tiptronic setup today... :)

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I wasn't thinking of anyone else as I was throwing the rex around a smooth uphill corner heel-toeing it 3 - 2 at around 6k.

Man is that fun. There's nothing like the feel of a perfect rev match.

bvibert

Staff member
I wasn't thinking of anyone else as I was throwing the rex around a smooth uphill corner heel-toeing it 3 - 2 at around 6k.

Man is that fun. There's nothing like the feel of a perfect rev match.

Oooo yeah! Love that feeling.

I was thinking of the lazy people in this thread when I dropped it down into 4th to execute a pass on the highway this morning, releasing the clutch when the RPMs were at just the right spot and then just kept accelerating.