• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

WJenness

Not sure about the new A4s but anything older than 2009 has a bit of a tight back seat...not any bigger than my Volvo S40 IIRC and the S40 is about the same size as a Mazda 3.

I have an '04. One of my former roommates has a Mazda 3.

The back seat is MUCH roomier in the A4.

I (6'4") can fit four adults in my car comfortably... Couldn't do that in his 3.

Also, everything else about the car is totally different... Apples to Oranges comparison (other than they both have seats and a steering wheel).

-w

wa-loaf

might be worth a look at a lightly used when my car comes up for replacement. My only beef with Audi was I found mine to be ultra expensive to repair.

I think the newer ones get better MPG than the old ones.

Not sure about the new A4s but anything older than 2009 has a bit of a tight back seat...not any bigger than my Volvo S40 IIRC and the S40 is about the same size as a Mazda 3.

2010s have a little more room in backseat.

WJenness

I think the newer ones get better MPG than the old ones.

I think you're right. Direct injection + more aluminum.

2010s have a little more room in backseat.

The new gen (B8 ) started with the 09s.

Car is much wider than the B6/B7 generation. I had one as a loaner and it feels MUCH bigger inside (old A6 sized).

-w

hammer

I have an '04. One of my former roommates has a Mazda 3.

The back seat is MUCH roomier in the A4.

I (6'4") can fit four adults in my car comfortably... Couldn't do that in his 3.

Also, everything else about the car is totally different... Apples to Oranges comparison (other than they both have seats and a steering wheel).

-w
Only comparing space...I agree that anything else is Apples to Oranges.

I decided to get my S40 last year in part because I felt I could fit my whole family in it. Didn't feel that way about the CPO A4s I test drove. I'm only 5'9", however...my guess is that someone well over 6' would find the S40 to be a tight squeeze.

The newer A4s are definitely bigger, though, and would be a reasonable alternative to a BMW 5-series (which, cost aside, I found to be a bit too big for what I wanted).

Glenn

After driving a station wagon and then minivan for many years, I begged for something with a stick shift and a sunroof. Call it midlife crisis or whatever.

When my oldest started driving our automatic, we wanted to teach him to drive manual incase he was ever in the situation where he needed to know that (like if a friend gets drunk and safety requires HIM to drive their car). He wanted no part of it until recently - said it looked like too much work. He asked WHY I would want to drive manual. He finally came around and tried it. Now he knows why. And is looking for manual himself when he gets his own car. ;-)

That's a great story. Let us know what he ends up with. 8)

bigbog

....The dinosaurs are gone = most manual trans...

I hear ya' DHS,
What talks in sales and marketing are numbers = $$$, and for people who don't enjoy driving a stick, imho, a stick will get in the way of their cell phone hand...much less operate their GPS systems...lol. (*I think reading maps and "planning" routes in the brain can only help in later age!!!) but I do agree with Steve..especially with eastern MA's #128-accordian-style traffic = much easier with an auto around a city...and let's face it, driving habits are below those of decades past...defensive driving is much easier with auto. **Even now when I get down to the Portland area(which is growing)...meet up with drivers with urban habits...I'm glad I have an auto in my Xterra(lame. but was so inexpensive with good engine/drivetrain).
As sales/marketing/economics is to a large extent..."local"...many of the 4x4s with truck assembly(Nissan, Jeep, and Toyota), dedicated to off-road work/leisure...come standard....in addition to the "suburban-SUV" models....they know their market/location, even in the rural areas of the US.
Ditto Momma-Bear's sentiments.....stick shift and a sunroof..(added "dirt roads" is a plus).and the planet is still perched on its axis. The next X will be a standard.

Last edited:

roark

I'm sure the WRX is way fun to drive. How's the back seat? Fit two adults comfortably? I'd imagine the MPG probably stinks.

I don't necessarily want Rally Car performance. Just a mid-sized car with manual transmission that handles decently, can hit 60 in under 7 secs and gets good gas mileage. Only option I see out there that does this right now is a BMW 5 series.
Recently picked up an '07 Saab 9-3 anniversary edtion: ~30 mpg, 0-60 just under 7 sec. Back seat isn't the biggest, but ok for a couple adults. We did go with the auto... just wasn't thrilled with the feel of the manual gearbox. It's the first auto we've ever owned. But there are quite a few 6spd manuals out there. I feel it's the perfect compromise between performance, comfort, and economy. That the bottom dropped out of the market and I could get one for less than a 1/3 of the original sticker with 25K miles, still under warranty didn't hurt either ;).

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Some of us have families and need a car that's somewhat practical to drive, is it too much to ask that it also be fun to drive? I wouldn't call my manual shift Passat wagon boring, but I couldn't go out and get a new one with a stick... :smash:

My WRX wagon is fun and practical. It would be fine for a family of 4. A little heavy on the turbo lag, but that's a small issue I guess.

I get about 25 mpg in it, driving about 50% conservative, 50%... shall we say 'spirited.'

bvibert

Staff member
My WRX wagon is fun and practical. It would be fine for a family of 4. A little heavy on the turbo lag, but that's a small issue I guess.

I get about 25 mpg in it, driving about 50% conservative, 50%... shall we say 'spirited.'

One of very few like that. I've never been a fan of Subbies, but it's looking like they'll have to be on my shopping list next time I'm looking for a car. I don't know how good of an idea it would be to put me behind the wheel of a WRX though...

SKIQUATTRO

always had and always will have stick....sad to see the new audi a6's not avail in stick esp in the avant, make one have to look at the bmw 5 series wagon with stick. they still make the a4/a3 with stick.....just another fact of lazy americans who dont appreciate driving...guess their clutch leg gets too tired waiting in the drive thru line and cant eat a triple cheezeburger and shift at the same time.....

WJenness

Recently picked up an '07 Saab 9-3 anniversary edtion: ~30 mpg, 0-60 just under 7 sec. Back seat isn't the biggest, but ok for a couple adults. We did go with the auto... just wasn't thrilled with the feel of the manual gearbox. It's the first auto we've ever owned. But there are quite a few 6spd manuals out there. I feel it's the perfect compromise between performance, comfort, and economy. That the bottom dropped out of the market and I could get one for less than a 1/3 of the original sticker with 25K miles, still under warranty didn't hurt either ;).

Have to agree on the feel of the 6sp. Test drove an '07 9-3 Aero, and the clutch felt so weak... Wasn't my cup of tea.

-w

ctenidae

I hate the growing difficulty of finding a manaual. I drive a 6-speed MB C300, and my wife drives one of perhaps a dozen 6-speed Cayennes in the country. I hate automatics.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
always had and always will have stick....sad to see the new audi a6's not avail in stick esp in the avant, make one have to look at the bmw 5 series wagon with stick. they still make the a4/a3 with stick.....just another fact of lazy americans who dont appreciate driving...guess their clutch leg gets too tired waiting in the drive thru line and cant eat a triple cheezeburger and shift at the same time.....

You better do it fast. According to: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/sedans/112_0911_2010_bmw_550i_gt_review/index.html
the 5 series wagon may go by the wayside. I saw one of these 550i GT's the other day and I have to admit it was really beefy and phat looking. If you combine this new offering with the X6 might not be much room in their offerings. Which is too bad IMHO.

bvibert

Staff member
always had and always will have stick....sad to see the new audi a6's not avail in stick esp in the avant, make one have to look at the bmw 5 series wagon with stick. they still make the a4/a3 with stick.....

No A4 Avants with a stick though... :???:

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Ok, I have a question. Why is everyone so concerned about back seat space? I never ride in the back seat of my car. I don't give shiat if my friends are cramped, as long as there's enough room for me.

ctenidae

Ok, I have a question. Why is everyone so concerned about back seat space? I never ride in the back seat of my car. I don't give shiat if my friends are cramped, as long as there's enough room for me.

+1. The less comfortable the back seat is, the less likely I'll have to drive everyone around.