• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

benski

The keypad on Fords is literally one of my favorite gadgets I've ever had on a car. Loved it for both those reasons. Great during summer too when hiking or going to the beach. I have no idea why all brands don't offer it as an option. So practical

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

I saw Subaru’s with it in the Netherlands. I got a feeling it is patented.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I've heard the patent mentioned before. I would think at this point, it would have expired no? The car I had it on was a 95 Explorer. I also recall a friend having it on an old Nissan Maxima. Early 90s model.

I assume it's just not a highly requested feature. Wish it were. Liked it better than having a clicker key. Was just really useful during all outdoor pursuits or leaving the car running and locked on super cold or hot days while running a quick errand.

sull1102

I've heard the patent mentioned before. I would think at this point, it would have expired no? The car I had it on was a 95 Explorer. I also recall a friend having it on an old Nissan Maxima. Early 90s model.

I assume it's just not a highly requested feature. Wish it were. Liked it better than having a clicker key. Was just really useful during all outdoor pursuits or leaving the car running and locked on super cold or hot days while running a quick errand.

I'm guessing you're right on the second half there as far as usage goes I bet less than 50% of owners use the feature and as far as design goes it can take a bit away in the looks dept so most brands just do away with it. Nowadays you have the proximity keys and Tesla even has it hooked into your phone so as you approach the car unlocks.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Those are great technologies, but doesn't really address the benefit I most enjoyed, which was leaving everything locked in the car. I lived in VT at the time I had the Explorer. During summer I'd stop by local swimming holes all the time for a quick dip and would leave everything locked in the car. As many of the swimming holes involved a hike in away from the parking spots, you wanted to keep the car locked.

As for aesthetics, you could probably build the buttons right onto the door handle so you barely see it.

But, I digress. Like manual transmission, not a feature many are looking for in their cars.

sull1102

Those are great technologies, but doesn't really address the benefit I most enjoyed, which was leaving everything locked in the car. I lived in VT at the time I had the Explorer. During summer I'd stop by local swimming holes all the time for a quick dip and would leave everything locked in the car. As many of the swimming holes involved a hike in away from the parking spots, you wanted to keep the car locked.

As for aesthetics, you could probably build the buttons right onto the door handle so you barely see it.

But, I digress. Like manual transmission, not a feature many are looking for in their cars.

JLR is now offering something I think you'd love they call it an activity key, basically a waterprood wrist band Fitbit that let's you lock the keys in the car.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

janski

have a ford escape, great feature the door keypad thingy. you can't lock your keys in the car and get a bill from the locksmith. agree with DHS just lock it up with keys in it,never have to worry about loosing keys skiing or playing

Cornhead

have a ford escape, great feature the door keypad thingy. you can't lock your keys in the car and get a bill from the locksmith. agree with DHS just lock it up with keys in it,never have to worry about loosing keys skiing or playing
Just make sure to memorize your code. I had just bought a 93 SHO with the pad 20 yrs ago. I stopped by my buddy's place to show him the car. Somehow I pressed the pad with the keys in the ignition, clunk. Luckily I had the sunroof tilted open. He was able to pull the keys out of the ignition and up through the sunroof with a coat hanger wire. Good luck finding one of those anymore. It was tense, as he had to grasp the hanger tighter with the keys on it than without. In doing so he couldn't keep his hand as flat, so it was a tight squeeze back up through the sunroof. I still remember the code to this day 57175. Haven't owned the car for years. I had a 90 with the keypad too, can't remember that one. No drama with that one. Are they all the same frontwards and backwards? Easier to remember that way.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Funky_Catskills

Heading home to Hunter from NYC in that big storm last week was intense.
Took me 4 hours in my 2009 manual rabbit. The whole way I was just dreading my last five miles up the mountain road to my house.
Made it the whole way up the thruway no problem. Started up the last hill in 5th gear to keep the wheels from slipping. Half way up and the car stalled and the check engine light went on... uuuuuuuuuugh.... I think it was in tooo low of a gear. :) I had to back down the whole way and start again... This time only went up to 4th gear. haha...

skiur

My new Jeep doesn't have a keypad (or option for manual tranny) If I have the keyfob in my pocket all I have to do is grab the door handle and it will unlock the door for me.