• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

2knees

i'll never stop driving a stick shift. i've never owned an automatic and i see no reason to switch.

when i met my wife, she was driving a 5 speed acura, man that was a fun car to rip around in. now she drives a mini van...:sad:

WakeboardMom

Re: family cars and stick shifts...I gave up driving a stick just about the time I had my third kid. Trying to deal with the sh*t that goes on in the back seat was enough; I wanted the luxury of an automatic.

The first Volvo wagon we had was an '85 V70. (No XC available then.) That was a fun car to drive. My husband had an ad from one of the car magazines hanging in his office with a picture of the car and the caption: "If Ferrari made a wagon, this would be it."

I'm goin' back to a stick. My C70 convertible was bought on a whim because it was a good deal; if we had shopped around, we would've looked for a manual. Next car is likely a 3-series BMW convertible and that'll be a standard. I'll never NOT have a convertible. Like other people here have said, "I don't sit in the back. If somebody needs a ride, they'll have to deal with the cramped quarters." : - )

3 outta my 4 kids can drive a manual transmission. 2 own cars with sticks. Gotta work on teaching my daughter.

2knees

regarding kids, no way would i want to be the primary taxi service and be dealing with a stick shift. As it is, when i drive my kids around in the van, half the time my right arm is in the back seat breaking up a fight.....

FRITOLAYGUY

i learned on a stick, my car now is a 6speed i drive it because its real driving and i get bored easily, i like all the odd things about it, waiting for the guy in front of u at a stop sign just rolling back n forth right where u catch the clutch, downshifting cause im too lazy to use my brakes and my personal favorite having everyone ask to drive my car and then well unless they are a man or lesbian most seem to not know how.

Hawkshot99

I was extremely disapointed when I bought my truck. I wanted to get a Tacoma, or a Frontier because you can get a 4x4, Crew Cab, V6, Manuel Trans. Unfortunately I could not afford one of those two options and had to settle for a Chevy Colorado with everything I wanted except the trans.

WJenness

Stay away from my gf ;-)

Skiing since she was 2.

Driving stick since before she got her license... Won't consider driving anything with less than three pedals...

She taught me how to ski and drive stick.

Oh, and she's cute too... :cool:

-w (who considers himself quite lucky)

Another reason she rocks:

She just asked me to go see Hot Tub Time Machine with her this Sunday...
:)

-w

wa-loaf

I was extremely disapointed when I bought my truck. I wanted to get a Tacoma, or a Frontier because you can get a 4x4, Crew Cab, V6, Manuel Trans. Unfortunately I could not afford one of those two options and had to settle for a Chevy Colorado with everything I wanted except the trans.

Couldn't score a used one? Had a 98' with only the 4banger. Loved that truck, but it was pretty underpowered. 5 speed helped a bit.

Hawkshot99

Couldn't score a used one? Had a 98' with only the 4banger. Loved that truck, but it was pretty underpowered. 5 speed helped a bit.

I tow a mowing trailer alot in the summer so a 4 cylinder would have to work more. Plus I wanted the crew cab which is very rare with the 4 cylinder. And only the 04' 4-cylinder crew Colorado had the manual.

As far as Used goes....I bought a 05' Colorado last spring. I would have had to go several years older for a Toyota with like options as my truck for the price. They hold their value very well.

SKIQUATTRO

Originally Posted by SKIQUATTRO
always had and always will have stick....sad to see the new audi a6's not avail in stick esp in the avant, make one have to look at the bmw 5 series wagon with stick. they still make the a4/a3 with stick.....

my 02 Avant A4 is stick, was sure i saw a new a4 avant with stick (could be wrong...hope not)

bvibert

Staff member
always had and always will have stick....sad to see the new audi a6's not avail in stick esp in the avant, make one have to look at the bmw 5 series wagon with stick. they still make the a4/a3 with stick.....

my 02 Avant A4 is stick, was sure i saw a new a4 avant with stick (could be wrong...hope not)

I checked Audi.com and they only list this year's A4 Avant with the Tiptronic. The Sedan is available with a 6 speed stick though.

snowmonster

When I bought my Jeep Patriot, I had basically only 2 specs: sunroof and manual transmission. The first one was easy to find, the second was rarer. They basically tracked down the only manual Patriot in all of New England and drove it up from CT. I like the control and feel of a stick shift. My basic philosophy is that, if you like driving, you will prefer a manual. Little SM has a manual Mini Cooper. THAT is a fun car to drive.

WJenness

I checked Audi.com and they only list this year's A4 Avant with the Tiptronic. The Sedan is available with a 6 speed stick though.

Brian is right.

AOA decided that Americans don't want wagons with manual transmissions.

Probably because the vast majority don't.

Myself, I'd love one of the new S4s in an avant with a stick...

sadly, not going to happen... Unless I move to Europe...

So I've been on Autotrader today looking up 2000-2002 S4 avants with manual transmissions... Might have to get one in a year or so as a second car...

-w

Geoff

I have a VW direct shift gearbox in my GTI. It's basically two manual transmissions bolted together and shifts with solenoids. It's far quicker than a manual transmission with a professional driver. I use the paddle shifters all the time in the snow and for speed control going down hills. Manual transmissions are last century's technology.

hrstrat57

I'm sure the WRX is way fun to drive. How's the back seat? Fit two adults comfortably? I'd imagine the MPG probably stinks.

I don't necessarily want Rally Car performance. Just a mid-sized car with manual transmission that handles decently, can hit 60 in under 7 secs and gets good gas mileage. Only option I see out there that does this right now is a BMW 5 series.

ummm....how bout 60 in under 5 sec?

drive one you will buy one....you can squeeze out 30 mpg if you baby it and lay off the turbo(you probably wouldn't be able to do that)....premium fuel tho to feed the turbo/intercooler....

I am still running an Impreza 5 speed....2007 87K and bombproof thus far...0-60 is just a bit over 7 and I average about 30mpg.....on regular gas.

WRX purchase is soon I hope.....

I have had 2 adults in the back seat and they didn't complain tho they are very polite people......

mondeo

I have a VW direct shift gearbox in my GTI. It's basically two manual transmissions bolted together and shifts with solenoids. It's far quicker than a manual transmission with a professional driver. I use the paddle shifters all the time in the snow and for speed control going down hills. Manual transmissions are last century's technology.
I was wondering how long it was going to take you to chime in.

The first company to ditch manuals entirely is going to be Ferrari. Lambos, Astons, and Porsches are going to be next. It's sad that the STI is still burdened with only being offered with a manual. In 10 (or sooner, maybe only 5,) years all gearboxes will be DSGs or CVTs.

And don't confuse Tiptronic or the other early "paddle shift" trannys with DSGs. The early ones were just slushboxes that allowed the driver to have a little control over what gear was selected. They still carried all the suckiness of autos (shift time, drivetrain loss, searching for gears, etc.) and didn't even allow full control. DSGs are better than manuals, just not to purists. But look at what cars are out there now; what ones are for driving purists? Lotus. Porsche 911 GT3. And that's it.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com

Doesn't mean anything. A lot of vehicles still have live axles.