• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

WJenness

Wat? You drivin around with the e brake on? I hardly ever have to replace rear pads. And never before the fronts.

Agreed...

That's crazy.

Or the manufacturer was really cheap with the rear pads.

Or You like to drive in reverse and slam on the brakes repeatedly.

-w

hammer

it's a great car, lots of power, handles well and really fun to drive. The only complaint would be the brakes. Very soft pads, already had to replace the rears with only 25k. After a year and a half I am still not used to the 6 speed after driving a 5 speed for so long.
Did you go with aftermarket pads for the replacement?

Wat? You drivin around with the e brake on? I hardly ever have to replace rear pads. And never before the fronts.
My 1990 Acura Integra went through rears at twice the rate of fronts...thought it was strange, must have been the way the brakes were designed.

I just managed to get over 60K on the last set of brakes on my Highlander...that's pretty good for me. I used to go through brakes in about 35K miles on my Subaru, and in addition, the rotors would tend to warp a bit easily. I try not to be tough on brakes but it's hard to do that when dealing with Boston area drivers.

MR. evil

Haha.... It's a known issue with the new Accords. Honda Canada has already issued a recall on the rear brakes but Honda USA is ignoring the issue. Based on a Honda Forum I did some research on it appears i did good going 25k. Lots of people reported rears going around 12 to 15 k. I did bitch to my dealer and all I had to do was pay for pads, they comped me labor.

Geoff

I'm curious - how many of you left-foot brake when driving autos?

Only if my right leg is in a cast or knee immobilizer and I can't get to the brake with my right leg.

I've driven a manual with a knee immobilizer a few times in my life. No big deal. It's much easier with your left leg immobilized than if your right leg is immobilized.

Geoff

Maybe, but they are a hell of a lot more fun than tiptronics or paddle shifters.

I suggest you go with leather lace ski boots, cable bindings, and wood skis with screw-in edge sections. Way more fun than plastic boots, wimpy release bindings, and shaped skis.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
Brian is right.

AOA decided that Americans don't want wagons with manual transmissions.

Probably because the vast majority don't.

Myself, I'd love one of the new S4s in an avant with a stick...

sadly, not going to happen... Unless I move to Europe...

So I've been on Autotrader today looking up 2000-2002 S4 avants with manual transmissions... Might have to get one in a year or so as a second car...

-w

Careful. B5 turbos occasionally like to ruin their bearings for no apparent good reason. I sold my '01.5 as soon as the CPO warranty was up. Those years had lots of other quality issues too, that get very pricey if not under warranty.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I suggest you go with leather lace ski boots, cable bindings, and wood skis with screw-in edge sections. Way more fun than plastic boots, wimpy release bindings, and shaped skis.

I see your point, but you can't argue that some people will always enjoy a regular old 3 peddle set up over the new technology. It's not necessarily performance, but what people find fun. It's like tube amplifiers, some just prefer the old school.

I haven't tried paddle shifters. I have owned two cars with tiptronic, my hyundai and an audi A6 and I barely used it with both vehicles. It's a nice option, but no substitute for 3 peddles.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
I see your point, but you can't argue that some people will always enjoy a regular old 3 peddle set up over the new technology. It's not necessarily performance, but what people find fun. It's like tube amplifiers, some just prefer the old school.

I haven't tried paddle shifters. I have owned two cars with tiptronic, my hyundai and an audi A6 and I barely used it with both vehicles. It's a nice option, but no substitute for 3 peddles.

A lot of people over look the transmission and focus on the shift method.

The tiptronics you've owned still have a planetary gearset (or two) with multiple hydraulic clutches and a torque converter between it and the engine. The tiptronic systems simply allow you to tell the transmission what gear to be in.

That's not a substitute for three pedals because a traditional manual shift transmission doesn't use planetary gearsets, they use constant meshed gears with splined collars and dog teeth to couple the selected gear to the drive shaft.

High performance manufacturer's paddle shift (like Ferrari) or electronic shift systems use the latter type of transmission with electronic mechanisms in place of the gear select lever and shift forks and rods. So there isn't much comparison to that and what you've owned that they call tiptronic. Totall different animals.

WJenness

Careful. B5 turbos occasionally like to ruin their bearings for no apparent good reason. I sold my '01.5 as soon as the CPO warranty was up. Those years had lots of other quality issues too, that get very pricey if not under warranty.

I know :( That's why it could never be a primary car for me.

Some day when I can afford a garage queen, it will probably be a B5S4 or a B7RS4...

You know, when I hit the lottery.

-w

2knees

that is the dumbest analogy i've heard in a long time.

tjf67

Agreed...

That's crazy.

Or the manufacturer was really cheap with the rear pads.

Or You like to drive in reverse and slam on the brakes repeatedly.

-w

I am getting the impression that is a honda issue. The CRV had to get new rear pads with 25k miles on it. The factory tires did not last much longer. They are cheaping out. in places that are not covered under warrenty

campgottagopee

I am getting the impression that is a honda issue. The CRV had to get new rear pads with 25k miles on it. The factory tires did not last much longer. They are cheaping out. in places that are not covered under warrenty

All the more reason to buy a Subie TJ !!!!!!:razz:

tjf67

All the more reason to buy a Subie TJ !!!!!!:razz:

I am buying American from here on out. I hope you sell a million Subies but they were never my cup of tea. My buddie just blew his head gasket on his little sporty Subie. No match for the SHO.

wa-loaf

A car has to be running hot to blow a headgasket, correct? Or can it happen through normal use? Seems to me people aren't paying attention to the temp gauge.

Geoff

that is the dumbest analogy i've heard in a long time.

F1 drivers don't use their left foot. The clutch pedal is obsolete and has been replaced by better technology. You don't use the clutch pedal to shift a sequential manual transmission.

Marc

Website
www.marcpmc.com
F1 drivers don't use their left foot. The clutch pedal is obsolete and has been replaced by better technology. You don't use the clutch pedal to shift a sequential manual transmission.

Well that's certainly not true. I've driven a sequential transmission w/ a clutch pedal- all collegiate Formula SAE cars use motorcycle engine/transmissions that have sequential gear boxes and the the cable is run to a pedal rather than a lever like on a motorcycle.

Lots of closed wheel race cars still use sequential transmissions with a conventional foot pedal to engage and disengage the clutch.

Formula 1 drivers use their left foot to brake. The cars still use a manually engaged/disengaged clutch though. It's just a lever on the steering column, just below the gear selector paddles. See below:

steering-bmw.jpg

#7 and #15 are the clutch levers.

http://www.f1technical.net/articles/30