• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Death of Manual Transmission ETA????

o3jeff

The Subaru BRZ strikes me as a fun car to have, especially with the Prius tires. Apparently, you can drive like a total hoon and never break the speed limit in town.

They are very fun, I've been looking for a toy and they are at the top of the list. You can have a lot of fun taching it out around town and on the back roads without getting into too much trouble where as a vette has a ton of HP but you need some room or will be flying.

Hoping the rumors are true about a BRZ convertible.

wa-loaf

I had read that the next generation VW sportwagen tdi will be available in AWD and initially they said a 6 speed option, but the most recent news says only Europe will get the six speed.

Sounds like it's going to be an Alltrack wagon based on the sportwagon and it's debatable if they will offer it as a TDi. Will probably have the DSG in it for us. DSG is cool (cooler than auto or cvt anyway), but the maintenance costs on them are high.

The new Golf R just came out and it only has a DSG. Manual may still be coming, but when your top end awd sports car doesn't have a manual I think the writing is on the wall ...

yeggous

manual transmissions at definitely a thing of the past. CAFE fuel efficiency standards have even pushed automatics back in favor of CVTs. The final nail in the coffin will be the rise of Highly Autonomous Driving.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Its not going anywhere for enthusiast and sport/luxury cars. Smaller more efficient engines with turbo.

Also BRZ is slow go STi if youre looking at a new Subaru while it still has the EJ25 engine.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Hopefully Mazda continues to offer it for the 3 for many years to come. I don't really desire a performance car for all the driving I do. Something simple, reliable, fuel efficient and reasonably fun to drive is all I'm really looking for and the 3 works for that. I've put 141K miles on my 2013 in 4 years. I've only had to do routine maintenance. Still on my original pads and rotors even while spending two days a week zig zagging around Boston.

yeggous

Hopefully Mazda continues to offer it for the 3 for many years to come. I don't really desire a performance car for all the driving I do. Something simple, reliable, fuel efficient and reasonably fun to drive is all I'm really looking for and the 3 works for that. I've put 141K miles on my 2013 in 4 years. I've only had to do routine maintenance. Still on my original pads and rotors even while spending two days a week zig zagging around Boston.

There will be challenges. Automatic braking is going to be required in all vehicles within 6 years. It is tricky to do this with a manual transmission as it can stall the vehicle. The agreement in place gives the automakers longer to work out the details for manuals as a result.

Likewise adaptive cruise control is a problem on manual transmissions. The only vehicle that I know that even offers it is the Ford Mustang, and all it does is makes minor speed adjustments within a gear range (highway speed adjustments). All of the half decent systems require an automatic.

deadheadskier

Staff member
My hope for the future has been restored with what I just saw in Boston. If the day comes when all the manual transmissions are gone, as long as there are people with the mechanical skills to convert a newer model Cadillac DeVille into a pickup, there will be someone capable of converting whatever boring AT car I buy into a MT. It may cost stupid money, but the option will be there.

Attachments

• 1473441861872.jpg
    1473441861872.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 42

steamboat1

My hope for the future has been restored with what I just saw in Boston. If the day comes when all the manual transmissions are gone, as long as there are people with the mechanical skills to convert a newer model Cadillac DeVille into a pickup, there will be someone capable of converting whatever boring AT car I buy into a MT. It may cost stupid money, but the option will be there.
Those cars are commonly used by funeral parlors for carrying flowers behind the hearse.

skiNEwhere

There will be challenges. Automatic braking is going to be required in all vehicles within 6 years. It is tricky to do this with a manual transmission as it can stall the vehicle. The agreement in place gives the automakers longer to work out the details for manuals as a result.

Likewise adaptive cruise control is a problem on manual transmissions. The only vehicle that I know that even offers it is the Ford Mustang, and all it does is makes minor speed adjustments within a gear range (highway speed adjustments). All of the half decent systems require an automatic.

What's your source on this, is that opinion or fact?

I've been considering making my next car a Wrangler. Thankfully there are a plethora of wranglers with manual transmissions, and I don't think that's gonna go away anytime soon (knock on wood)

yeggous

What's your source on this, is that opinion or fact?

I've been considering making my next car a Wrangler. Thankfully there are a plethora of wranglers with manual transmissions, and I don't think that's gonna go away anytime soon (knock on wood)

Fact. Just google "automatic braking" and you'll easily find a huge amount of coverage. I've been trying to impress this upon people. In a decade the idea of driving a car without autonomous features is going to seem as crazy as a car without antilock brakes, seat belts, and airbags today. These features are not science fiction. They exist and you can already buy them today. All that remains is integrating them into a single system.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Interesting. First time I've ever seen one. Maybe it's because I've lived in Northern New England most of my life and such a vehicle would be impractical for transporting flowers much of the year. I suppose in a city where the distance from the services to the cemetery is short, such a car is more useful.

skiNEwhere

Yea looks like a lot of auto manufacturers are heavily invested

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...stems-to-become-standard-on-most-u-s-vehicles

I doubt it would be that hard to program a car to automatically depress the clutch if the brakes are applied automatically as well.....but with all random contingencies that would need to be tested to ensure the clutch being depressed at the wrong moment won't cause an accident, it probably wouldn't make financial sense to most manufacturers to cater to what's become a niche market.

I could seriously see auto braking enable drivers to text more while driving. It will likely reduce rear end collisions but I wouldn't be surprised if more side-swiping types of accidents occur

yeggous

Yea looks like a lot of auto manufacturers are heavily invested

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-...stems-to-become-standard-on-most-u-s-vehicles

I doubt it would be that hard to program a car to automatically depress the clutch if the brakes are applied automatically as well.....but with all random contingencies that would need to be tested to ensure the clutch being depressed at the wrong moment won't cause an accident, it probably wouldn't make financial sense to most manufacturers to cater to what's become a niche market.

I could seriously see auto braking enable drivers to text more while driving. It will likely reduce rear end collisions but I wouldn't be surprised if more side-swiping types of accidents occur

As I said, these are not hypothetical any more. These cars are already on the market. Automatic braking results in double digit reductions in the overall accident rate. As far as lane departures are concerned, lane keep assist is also already a reality and show comparable gains. This is technology that you can drive off the lot today.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here's a thought/question, wouldn't a more beneficial technology towards life safety than auto breaking be an "auto shut off" of cell phones within a running vehicle except for 911 purposes? Basically instead of Bluetooth connecting to a phone to be used, it actually turns the phone off. Pretty hypocritical of me suggesting this as I snapped the earlier shared photo while stopped in traffic and spend much of my day driving distracted by talking to customers on the phone (through my cars Bluetooth), but it seems to me that cell phone usage is the most pressing traffic safety hazard of the day, even more so than DUI.

And I'll bring that full circle back to the benefits of a manual transmission. Those who drive them are forced to be more engaged in their driving. When I'm creeping over the Tobin bridge, I have to be fully engaged in what gear I'm in. My observation is as a general rule, those who drive manuals tend to be better / more focused drivers, which should be the goal

steamboat1

Pretty hypocritical of me suggesting this as I snapped the earlier shared photo while stopped in traffic and spend much of my day driving distracted by talking to customers on the phone (through my cars Bluetooth), but it seems to me that cell phone usage is the most pressing traffic safety hazard of the day, even more so than DUI.
Bingo!

Same goes for people crossing the street.

And yes hypocritical.

Nothing new there.