• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Your season wrap-up report, goals, new areas, ect.

MrMagic

Well the season is def not over, but a lot of areas are closed and a lot of people are on to biking and golf, thought it would be a good time to talk about your season thus far, I expect a few days at killington in April and maybe just maybe one in may.
i had 60 + times 25 of those of telemarks (so far)
I started opening weekend at killington
I taught 30 lessons at ski sundown, mostly intermediate /low expert skiers, one bump lesson, one telemark
Only went night skiing 6 times this year a record low.
Skied three new areas; mcintire in mancherster NH, otis ridge, MA and mount Sunapee. Plus a return visit to loon ( last visit was march 2003)
Meet a ton of new AZers plus the standard bump crew.
– plenty more skiing to come !

EOS

I was able to check out 3 new ski areas this year: Stowe, Okemo, and Magic Mountain! Loved Magic's atmosphere, and Stowe is a great moutain!! Okemo had some good terrain, but I wasn't fond of the 3 lifts it took to get to the top. Just my opinion...
________
marijuana seed bank

Last edited:

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Hit six new areas this year

Vail, Otis Ridge, Butternut, Blue Hills, Beaver Creek, Bosquet bringing total pins to 53 out of 63 areas skied

Joined the fun at Thunderbolt 75th anniversary race as a volunteer.

Followed the snow, including 2 foot dump at Magic, 1 foot at Vail.

Skied at minus 15F yet again.

I don't count number of days skied.

MrMagic

Hit six new areas this year

Vail, Otis Ridge, Butternut, Blue Hills, Beaver Creek, Bosquet bringing total pins to 53 out of 63 areas skied

Joined the fun at Thunderbolt 75th anniversary race as a volunteer.

Followed the snow, including 2 foot dump at Magic, 1 foot at Vail.

Skied at minus 15F yet again.

I don't count number of days skied.

nice bill you trying to ski every area in New england?

severine

Website
poetinthepantry.com
10 days.

Yup. Lame. 4 of them were in the last 2 weekends.

Still, managed to ski Sunday River and Sugarloaf for the first time, so those were big pluses for me. Also had a late season breakthrough, thanks to JimG. :D Next season: more ski days! May actually be ski bumming after the Fall semester, depending on how things work out--early graduation would equal mid-December til August 2011 off!! Woohoo!

tmcc71

hit 10 new mountains this year, 122 ski days too!

Great season! One more weekend left at mount snow this coming weekend. My local hill closed yesterday (wachusett). All in all it was a good season. We got a late start and an early close but I will hit 122 counting next weekend. I ski seven days a week and have can hit 135 plus some seasons. Next year will be even better.
I traveled so much this year and learned where I will buy passes, ski early, late and mid season. I am eliminating some mountains from my list as well. I consider it a good year because of the good recon I got in. Next year i'll focus on the good mountains.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
nice bill you trying to ski every area in New england?
Indeed. A not-very-secret, oft-discussed goal of mine.
But George Wood has be seriously whupped.

Only a few left in the south of New England, but a ton of community areas in Maine. Missed Mt. Greylock Ski Club due to a last-minute mountain closing. Balsams is going to be a logistically tough one too, it's hard to justify getting there.

riverc0il

Website
www.thesnowway.com
Not too early for a warp up though I do hope to add to my "firsts" list this spring.

• First time skiing Smuggs
  • First time skiing off the summit of Washington (w/a personal first descent route)
  • Finally have skied Killington later than the Christmas Holiday
  • First time skiing off the Chin at Mansfield
  • First time skiing the Loaf as an adult
  • Finally have explored Mount Ellen in depth
  • First time skiing Mount Abram

Overall, even with spring earned turns, I will likely end the season far below my post move average of just under 50 days and not even close to my pre-season goal of 60. Powder days this season are absolutely abysmal. I had some very good days this season but it was far from the season I thought it might be. But you can't control the weather. What I will remember this season for is exploring so many new areas and more fully exploring other areas that I have skied a few times but not in depth. I won't remember this season as particularly good conditions wise, perhaps the second worst of the past ten years. But it did have many wonderful moments. And, I should like to think, there are still a good many more to come.

Meeting so many more AZers and the Loaf weekend will definitely rank high on the list for awesomeness moments of the season.

xlr8r

23 days total, a new record for me. My preseason goal was at least 20.

New Areas
-Jiminy
-Berkshire East
-Bromley
-Killington
-Pico

Before the season I planned to go to a lot of new mountains primarily these 5. Jiminy and Berkshire East were day trips. I went to Bromley Killington and Pico on a 3 day 2 night trip. Overall I enjoyed all 5 new areas and hope to return to them in future years.

Areas that I had not been to in a number of years.

-Sunday River
-Waterville

Sunday River was a 2 day trip my Dad planned so not my choice. It was my first time there since 2003. I have never really loved Sunday River. It is too bland for its size and has no charm. After going to Killington, I much prefer Killington to Sunday River.

Waterville I have never liked much at all. However $1 skiing on April 1st was too good a deal to let pass. First time there since 1999.

Regular Areas

-Wachusett
-Sunapee

14 day/nights at Wachusett. One day trip to Sunapee.

Areas I thought I would go to but didn't

-Cannon
-Ragged
-Jay
-Crotched
-Stratton
-Mount Snow

Overall a good year making it to 9 different Mountains.

Zand

At 40 days right now with maybe 5 more to go. Goal was like 75 or something like that but I had visions of skiing Burke everyday at that point. Between their VERY short season, crappy skiing from late January-mid February, and class times not really making way for skiing time, it just didn't come close. Anyways, new areas were Sunday River (although it was early season mid-station skiing so it doesn't really count considering how big the place is) and Jay. The only other areas I skied this season were Sugarbush, Wachusett, Burke, and Mt. Snow so not much variety.

skidmarks

Fat Lady has not sung on my season yet!

Not ready to let go yet!

New areas skied include: Loveland Basin, Sundance, Deer Valley
Had a great 9 days of skiing in Utah, 2 in CO.
Skied from the top of Mt Washington for the first time (last Friday), new route for me Ammo Ravine.
Skied Baldy Chutes in Alta.
4 days at Mt Greylocks Thunderbolt and 1 was a great day.
Back Country Skied Bolton to Trapp and Stowe's Bruce Trail on New Years, got Stratton Pond in too.
NELSAP, Hogback VT and JB Williams in CT

Regrets:
Didn't get to Magic Mt this season and a little light on the CT NELSAP especially with all the recon work
done in the fall. I missed Doug Lewis' Speed Week and DH Race at Sugarbush. No trips to the ADKs.

campgottagopee

Nothing new, I don't like change. My season rocked!!!!!!!! We had incredible snow @ Greek Jan-Feb, no big dumps but we managed to 3-5 " our way to some great skiing this year. By far the highlight of my season was going to Whiteface for the US Nationals---mkan those dudes really know how to get it done. If you've never seen a race of that caliber I reccomend doing so ASAP....it's a real eye opener to what it's spodda look like, really. I also got to meet the Whitefacers, HPD, Jack the Ripper, TJ, and FHW for a meatfest (woody and Phineas were a no-show, losers). It was great to actually meet these folks after years of "knowing" each other on various ski forums, and getting to know them a little better was a blast!!!!! If you go to WF looks 'em up---great fun for sure :cool:

Sparky

Since I blew out my good knee in August, just skiing was my goal. With the support of two braces( one of which cost the insurance company $1024.00) I skied and taught for an entire season.

Greg

Staff member
I think the reality is I have about 3, maybe 4 days left. I hope to get some May skiing in at Killington though. I should end up with around 45 days which is right on track lately for me. Some highlights:

• Lots of Sundown bumps, Gunny was epic in March
  • Only got one average day at MRG. Wanted a few more, but time ran out.
  • Returned to Sugarloaf after 5 years. That was fun.
  • Got to experience a momumental snowfall at Hunter.
  • The best part of the entire season is finally being able to ski independently with both my kids.
Great season.

oakapple

I returned to the sport this year after a gap of 20 years. I skied Mt. Peter, Thunder Ridge, Blue Mountain, Windham, Belleayre, Killington, Camelback, Mount Snow, Hunter Mountain, and Mammoth Mountain (CA). Among those in the Northeast, Belleayre and Killington were my favorites. Mt. Peter and Thunder Ridge are the only ones that I would not return to.

Among resorts that are a reasonable day-trip's distance from NYC that I didn't try, next year I'd like to visit Mountain Creek, Shawnee, Mohawk, and maybe Plattekill. I'd also like to visit one or two of the upper New England places where I haven't been, such as Okemo, Stratton, Stowe, or Sunday River. I'll probably also take another long trip out west: Whistler-Blackcomb is the leading candidate.

2knees

season is dying fast for me. Hopefully get another april day and one may day but even that is iffy at this point. either way, hit 20 days, which is about what i thought going in, not including some ski with the kids days.

however, i finally got to MRG, even if conditions were a tad rough. Also skied at Ragged for the first time. entered the bmmc which i've always wanted to do. I sucked major balls but it just gave me incentive to do it again next year. was happy that i could finally do some tricks other then spreads and twisters. that was like a blast from the past for me. Got my obligatory magic powder day in. no season is complete without one of those. Gunny season was short but epic. better then last year. I really cut back on sundown until gunny was up. I think i only skied the temptor bumps 4 times and one of those days was the comp.

overall count

sundown 11 days
Killington 3 (so far)
Magic
Okemo
Sugarbush
MRG
Waterville Valley
Ragged

speden

Looks like my season is done at 25 days. I was going to get one more day in on Friday, but as I was getting ready to go, my left achilles started acting up, and reluctantly I decided I better listen to my body and let it heal.

All things considered, it was a very fun season, and my skiing improved a lot.

High point: Copper Mountain in Colorado. Seemed too good to be true, and they didn't even have a great snow year. I went out there expecting to love Vail, but Copper was more fun.

Surprise of the season: Gunstock. It was a new place I tried this year and at first I didn't think much of it, but for some reason it grew on me, and I had some of my best runs of the season there. I guess it just matched my skill level as I outgrew Pat's Peak.

Toughest skiing: The night I went to Wachusett on a borderline slushy night, and they hadn't groomed the trails. It was violent and exhausting, and I really learned a lot about skiing on uneven rutted crap.

Worst injury: Took a fast run down Ridge at Sunapee dodging through lots of traffic. When I got to the bottom, both my calf muscles and achilles tendons felt tweaked. Those sprains ended up lingering all season and I kept re-injuring them.

Off season goals: I want to work on my conditioning and flexibility more so I'm less likely to get injured next season. And I want to get some new boots in the fall that fit more snugly but don't hurt like my current boots.

Next season goals: I want to demo some skis and get some more specialized skis, starting with some wider skis. I also want to learn how to ski moguls and glades so I can keep up with my kids. And I really want to make it up to Sugarloaf and Saddleback.

4aprice

My season ended Friday April 2nd at the bottom of Snowbird. I don't know what I would call the perfect season but this one was one of my top 3 in 42 years of skiing. I'm not a counter but give or take a day or two I got somewhere in the neighborhood of 55 days. I also think that Billski sent some of his luck down my way because pieces seemed to fall in to place all season long.

One of the low points was the very beginning which was delayed due to a warm November, however, once opening took place (Dec 12th) in the Pocono's things rolled along pretty smoothly. Camelback has a good arsenal and got the mountain in good shape for the holidays. Don't remember exactly when they got 100% but it was pretty early.

The Pocono season was as good as the Pocono's could be. The areas seem to have realized the renewed interest in bump skiing and responded well. I had great days on the bumps at Camelback, Blue and Elk. Even though we missed a couple of really big snows in early February to the south the man made snow was great and when we finally did get the snow the three weeks after were super.

I also got two wonderful weekends in So. VT. I missed a 1/2 day at Mt Snow New Years Eve because of a delayed departure from NJ, but the following 2 days were a blast. I also got some of Billski's luck as it snowed while we were there. My other trip to Vt was the first weekend in March after the big snow. 2 days, one at Magic, one at Stratton of just incredible skiing and beautiful weather. Some people I talked to felt it was the best So VT conditions in the last 10 years. My only regret is that I didn't pull my son out of school and hit Bromley too to complete the Golden Triangle.

I was also lucky to have some time off the week of March 15-19. Was able to hit Hunter Mt under bluebird sky's and 60 degree temps and lots o snow on the ground. It was awesome. I also hit the Pocono's that week and enjoyed what I term as California skiing with big soft moguls, warm temps plenty of tanning and a really fun tailgate party the weekend of the 20th. As good a spring skiing week as I can remember.

Topped the season off with 7 days in Utah. The trip was great and another case of good timing. 2 days at Snowbird, Solitude, and Brighton and 1 at Alta. First 2 1/2 days were bluebird and warm. 2nd 1 1/2 days were overcast and difficult to see but fun. The last three days it snowed somewhere between 2 and 3 ft. Highlights included storm skiing the woods at Brighton, Deep uncut powder in the Honeycomb Canyon at Solitude and Mineral Basin at Snowbird in thigh deep powder. It was a season that will be hard to beat in the future.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ.

deadheadskier

Staff member
The Good:

-most days on snow since my ski bum winter of 2000-2001. 23 days so far with 3 more lift served planned and maybe a trip up to Tucks in May.

-earliest start to a season I believe ever for me on 10/17

-enjoyed my new 'home' mountain at Ragged. It served my purpose of convenience, value and escaping Saturday crowds.

-3 days at Stowe, most since I left Vermont.

-skiing the Chin at Stowe for the first time in many years

-Alpinezone Summit at Sugarloaf was a total blast

-returning to my childhood home mountain of Okemo for the first time in 10 years. Also a planned day at Killington for the first time in equally as long.

The bad:

-not skiing in November. Could've motivated for Sunday River I suppose.

-very limited deep snow turns. Not a lot of powder to be had this season and the limited amount available I tended to miss by a couple days and get sloppy fourths.

-very limited bump skiing. My only complaint about Ragged really.

-New England getting skunked for the second spring in a row.

-not utilizing the touring gear I purchased last summer.

-not hitting a few favorites and planned areas: Wildcat, Attitash, Sugarbush, Mad River, Burke, Cannon, Saddleback