• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

GMC rant

powbmps

Not bashing, just venting.

Back in November of '07 we purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia. First time I considered an "American" vehicle as it seemed to be a departure from the norm (at the time) and met our needs better than any other offering. Looking back there have been multiple issues with the vehicle, but almost all of them have been covered under warranty and the dealership has been very accomodating.

After hearing a loud squeaking upon exiting the vehicle, it was discovered that the e-brake line had been routed in such a way that it was rubbing against the rear shock absorber. Over time it actually rubbed through the shock housing and destroyed it. The shock is no longer covered under warranty and I understand that. However, as I explained to GMC, the vehicle was assembled in a way that led to the shock failure (no fault of the dealership) and I feel they should at least pay for the part.

GMC "researched" it and denied my claim, however, the dealership "values my business" and is going to cover the cost. It just pisses me off that the company doesn't back up their dealers. They also lied to the service manager and told him I was complaining about the way I was treated by the dealership, which I never did. To top it off, the GMC "corporate office" that I was dealing with is located in South America. For some reason that irks me too.

Like I said, just venting.

bvibert

Staff member
They also lied to the service manager and told him I was complaining about the way I was treated by the dealership, which I never did.

That's effed up.

To top it off, the GMC "corporate office" that I was dealing with is located in South America. For some reason that irks me too.

Well at least it was on a continent with America in the name, I guess... :roll:

Glad the dealer is taking care of you at least.

Puck it

I have had vehicles problems with the Escalade and now the Enclave but they were always resolved by the dealer except for the rear brakes on the Escalade. They wore after 20k. I had to go to the GM to get them to pay but they paid with not much effort.

SKIQUATTRO

we're looking at getting the Acadia in June (when the volvo lease is up)...we'll be buying.

Acadia fits a good size segment which will fit our needs perfectly. Nervous to buy american (will be my first american car) but i guess any and all manuf have issues at some point...look at Toyota, they were the bulletproof manufacture of the industry for so many years....

powbmps

we're looking at getting the Acadia in June (when the volvo lease is up)...we'll be buying.

Acadia fits a good size segment which will fit our needs perfectly. Nervous to buy american (will be my first american car) but i guess any and all manuf have issues at some point...look at Toyota, they were the bulletproof manufacture of the industry for so many years....

True. Before this I had a Honda Odyssy that had its share of problems.

Overall it's a great vehicle. When we were looking it had the most space behind the third row (by far) of any SUV in its class. I believe it still does. Also had the captains chair/pass through option for the second row. Does great in the snow. Suprisingly the OEM tires worked great. Lasted almost 60,000 miles and handled the snow no problem.

The adds are misleading in terms of mileage though. They say 24, but that is for the 2WD on the highway. I average a whopping 16-17 MPG with a 50/50 mix of highway and around town driving.

Philpug

I was in one of these as a rental car and even being an import car snob, they are damn nice and GM has done a helluva job with these.

drjeff

I was in one of these as a rental car and even being an import car snob, they are damn nice and GM has done a helluva job with these.

Love mine!( '09 SLT ) Just under a year old. Just under 27k on it. I've got the 2nd row captains chairs (great to give my young kids a bit of back seat seperation space ;) ) Just a ridiculous amount of space in the back with the 3rd row down, and even a reasonably impressive amount of cargo space behind the 3rd row when those seats are in use!

Now that they've been around for a couple of years, some of the initial bugs/issues that they had seem to have been worked out to the point where IMHO it's a real solid full sized cross-over SUV.

Service wise, IMHO my experience is that very often has more to do with the dealership and not the manufacturer, and my personal vehicles have been GM for 20+ years and I've used range of GM dealers from small 1 to 2 brand "mom and pop" dealers to large 4 to 5 brand "mega dealers" and I've had both good and bad things to say about both types. Currently I have mine serviced at a small dealership in the town where I work that just sells GMC and Cadillacs, and while I haven't needed anything more than just routine maintenance and a small item recalls (seat belt covers) they've been great.

I'd buy another Acadia(or Buick Enclave) again in a heart beat (the Chevy Traverse I'd just have to add in more upgrades to get it to the comfort/ammenity level over the standard Acadia/Enclave)

powbmps

Alright, when gmcunni and skiquattro get theirs we'll have to have an Acadia summit :smile:.

Glenn

Jeff, I had no idea you've been with the General for so long. :cool:

I think the domestics have really upped their game as of late.

campgottagopee

Not bashing, just venting.

Back in November of '07 we purchased a 2008 GMC Acadia. First time I considered an "American" vehicle as it seemed to be a departure from the norm (at the time) and met our needs better than any other offering. Looking back there have been multiple issues with the vehicle, but almost all of them have been covered under warranty and the dealership has been very accomodating.

After hearing a loud squeaking upon exiting the vehicle, it was discovered that the e-brake line had been routed in such a way that it was rubbing against the rear shock absorber. Over time it actually rubbed through the shock housing and destroyed it. The shock is no longer covered under warranty and I understand that. However, as I explained to GMC, the vehicle was assembled in a way that led to the shock failure (no fault of the dealership) and I feel they should at least pay for the part.

GMC "researched" it and denied my claim, however, the dealership "values my business" and is going to cover the cost. It just pisses me off that the company doesn't back up their dealers. They also lied to the service manager and told him I was complaining about the way I was treated by the dealership, which I never did. To top it off, the GMC "corporate office" that I was dealing with is located in South America. For some reason that irks me too.

Like I said, just venting.

You have a good dealer there----rest of it is effed up tho

campgottagopee

And perhaps I'm a skeptic,....but I think the dealer is getting something back from GMC.....maybe just the part.

Oh for sure they are, it's called "goodwill warranty", but that really doesn't matter----just the fact that they are doing it is the issue, because they really don't have to.

hammer

Another case of bad design that works OK until after the warranty expires...:roll:

In GM's defense, this kind of thing has happened with just about every make of car/truck out there. The "goodwill" or "silent" warranty is really just a way to try to silence those from complaining.